How would you respond to this customer

Don’t let it get to you . Stuff like this can make you lose focus and ruin your week.

He’s just upset, It’s his male pride. He thinks he could have done the job and save the money. But you, I and everyone here know he wouldn’t do a great Job like you and your team did.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

if his wife calls to rebook in the future, i would tell her we are not coming because her husband sent nasty ,hurtful messages .

its a ‘multiple contact’ problem - who’s in charge of hiring a service?

the wife decides you are the one, hires you, pays you, now another contact person, her husband, is micromanaging and re-doing everything she already did

had you dealt with him initially he would have said no

he is making you re sell to him and he wouldnt have hired you in the first place, so its a losing battle all the way around

If you are already paid it would have been interesting to just point out that you were under the assumption the wife had been delegated the authority to make the hiring decision herself and it was never indicated that secondary approval was necessary.

probably a sociopath as someone pointed out with a book link in another thread, 1 in 25 are . . . that’s a lot of crazies running around

^ I agree ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After completing a job today we basically had the same issue. Crew leader calls and says “we” should never work for that lady. She was upset at how quick the job was done and the rate agreed upon to pay. I figured fine, no worries. Then my office lady texts me and used language she normally doesn’t use.

I called the client right away, fired her. Done and done

You could mention that for this particular job you have charged them your minimum “day rate” of $1000 for two technicians. If you are offering stellar service you don’t need to justify anything - they can hire any one of the local scabs that are undercutting everyone and “get what they pay for”.

When Ladders are involved, I talk about the risk, price goes up with risk. That’s why they didn’t do it themselves often.

60 dollars per man hour is not that high. Compare that with a plumber or hvac tech. They charge 120 per man hour for labor.

So Steve… Did you reply?

Sorry for this incredibly tardy response. I never responded to this customer. I dont think we have been back to this house. I’m so busy that I just forgot about this guy.

4 Likes

Very rarely ( Thank goodness ) does this come up with me, even though, like you, we do average at least
$ 60.00 per man hour. For the customer, the time to have a discussion ( any discussion ) about the price would have been prior to them giving the OK. They did not inquire about how long it would take or what your average take per hour is so why would it matter afterward ? Because some customers ( very few in my case ) are disturbed that you earn that much. If I give the customer a price for $ XX and they say, Do it ! They have acknowledged that the exchange is a fair transaction. That it is worth $ XX for my windows to go from Dirty to Clean. That’s all that matters. It is NOT the customers business to know anything about my overhead profile or profit margin. If I decide to buy a car, I decide on Value of the car to me. Not what the dealerships overhead or profit. If I purchase a car that I agree to pay $ 20,000.00 for and I find out afterward the dealership pocketed say $8,000.00 , I have no business interrogating them after the transaction that they made too much money or being angry about it. The days of explaining my price structure post completion ended years ago.

PAY YOUR BILL ! YOUR WINDOWS ARE CLEAN. PERIOD !!

2 Likes

Chris,

What is this a picture of ?

Jeff

I had a boss give me a break down like that when I told him my percentage off a carpet cleaning truck was to low. Spot on

Perfect

Once upon A Time I would have given a detailed response, a full justification, from up high on my horse

Now it’s just 'this is my business, I have costs , and if the hourly rate is too high I know others who will do it for less but I dont base my pricing on what they charge"

I have never lost a customer after this explanation. Its amazing how effective the “I don’t give a fk I’m not for sale” vibe really is in convincing customers to stay.

3 Likes

Totally on board with this attitude. [quote=“Davo, post:75, topic:27322”]
this is my business, I have costs , and if the hourly rate is too high I know others who will do it for less but I dont base my pricing on what they charge"
[/quote]

Also, as I think about my attitude; My business got real busy when I started to think like this.

2 Likes