I quit

Yeah I believe it Chip. You just can’t quit smoking (if you have been smoking for at least a decade) for any reason other than because you have decided not to. You can’t quit because your Dr. told you, or you spouse doesn’t want you to smoke any more. If you the smoker have not made a clear mental decision to stop smoking, the addiction will wear you down and eventually, win. The only thing that can beat that monkey who never seems to give up, is your own iron will-- plain and simple.

When it’s 2am and your exhausted and stressed, and your brain is screaming at you for some small relief…just one smoke, and then you can quit for good, never touch them again you tell yourself…

If you are not 100% committed to never smoking again… you will break. It sucks, but these craving aren’t getting easier, in fact they are getting worse. My only comfort is knowing that they happen less and less. But man are they a PITA when they do happen.

If I was quitting because the Dr said I should or some other reason… I would have cheated a week ago. But luckily, I have solid reasons for quitting, I have friends and family for support, and I have made the commitment to myself and those I know, that I will not smoke again.

I know it may sound kind of dramatic, especially to those who have never smoked or know a smoker, but cigarettes are horribly addictive not just on a physical level, but mentally and emotionally as well. That’s what makes them so hard to quit.

It’s brutal in some ways. So if anyone who is reading this and have recently taken up the habit-- stop now while it’s easy. Cause it won’t be for long.

keep it up nate, i have been smoking since 11 yrs old, now my mom is 72-she smoked pall malls until 69 yrs old and has mds, doctors say smoking can cause that, it’s a bone marrow …red blood disorder , transfusions getting closer together to stay alive ,pretty miserable for her…now im thinking of quiting as well

Hey John, sorry to hear that your mom is sick. I’m not familiar with MDS but I’ll look it up soon. Is there a cure or is it at least something that can be kept in check with proper treatment?

I know you said that she is having to get more and more transfusions, is that because of the smoking or is that just the nature of MDS? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but I know nothing of MDS.

You say she smoked Pall Malls until she was 69 and she is 72 now-- did she quit smoking or did she just go to a filtered brand?

For your own sake, I hope you decide to quit smoking, but like I mentioned in a previous post, quitting has to be something that you truly want to do, and not something that you feel you “should” do.

For me, it wasn’t anything that someone said or did to make me quit. I just decided one day to do it. If anything could be “credited” with giving me the idea, it would be the WFP of all things.

So here was my thinking in a weird sort of way.

I decide to get into WFP for the safety aspect more than anything else. I didn’t want to spend anymore time on a ladder than needed because I knew that eventually I will probably fall. And if I fall, my wife and kids go hungry. And maybe I die. So that’s obviously not acceptable in my book.

The solution, stay off ladders and reduce my chances of getting hurt or killed. In other words, buy a WFP… But then I got to thinking, here I am worried about falling off a ladder and scared that my wife and kids might lose their husband and father… yet here I am smoking like a train going uphill! I realized that it was pretty dumb of me to take precautions in one department and completely ignore the “have a heart attack, get emphysema, get lung cancer and die department”.

So I don’t get my paychecks signed by NASA… but I’m not completely stupid either. I thought long and hard about all this stuff. So after a recent vacation with the family, I realized that I would really like to stay around for a bit longer and see my little monsters grow up (and become Doctors who pay for my retirement on a tropical island).

So once the decision was made, I just picked a day and did it. No regrets.

This is a little long for a post, but it has some good advice.

[B][CENTER][SIZE=“2”]Prepare for the Hurdles[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B]

“I decided to quit for the sake of our newborn baby’s health. So I posted a ‘No Smoking’ sign in our house. Just one hour later, the craving for nicotine came over me like a tsunami, and I lit up a cigarette.”—Yoshimitsu, Japan.

AS Yoshimitsu’s experience indicates, the process of quitting has its hurdles. Moreover, studies show that nearly 90*percent of those who stumble stay down by resuming their habit. Hence, if you are trying to quit, you are more likely to succeed if you are prepared for the hurdles. What are the more common ones?

[B]The craving for nicotine:[/B] This usually peaks within three days after your last cigarette and subsides after about two weeks. During that time “the desire comes in waves; it is not constant,” says one ex-smoker. Even years later, however, you may have a sudden urge to smoke. If so, don’t do anything rash. Wait for five minutes or so, and the desire should pass.

[B]Other withdrawal symptoms:[/B] Initially, people find it harder to stay awake or concentrate and may tend to gain weight more easily. They may also experience aching, itching, sweating, and coughing, as well as mood changes demonstrated by impatience, a proneness to anger, or even depression. Most symptoms, though, abate within four to six weeks.

During this critical time, there are some practical things you can do that will help. For example:
● Allow more time for sleep.
● Drink plenty of water or juice. Eat wholesome food.
● Engage in moderate exercise.
● Breathe deeply, and picture clean air filling your lungs.

[B]Triggers:[/B] These are activities or feelings that can trigger the urge to smoke. For instance, perhaps you normally had a cigarette when drinking a beverage. If so, when quitting smoking, don’t linger over your beverage. In time, of course, you will be able to enjoy your beverage at a more leisurely pace.

That said, psychological links can remain long after your body is free of nicotine. “Nineteen years after quitting,” admits Torben, quoted earlier, “I am still tempted to smoke during coffee breaks.” As a general rule, however, the association of smoking with specific activities will weaken in time and lose its force.

[U]With alcohol, the situation is different[/U]. Indeed, while you are trying to quit smoking, you may need to abstain from alcohol and avoid places where it is served, for a high percentage of relapses occur while people are drinking. Why is that?

● Even small amounts of alcohol increase the pleasure derived from nicotine.
● Social drinking is often intimately linked with smoking.
● Alcohol impairs judgment and lowers inhibitions. The Bible rightly says: ‘Wine takes away good motive.’—Hosea 4:11.

[B]Associates:[/B] Be selective. For instance, avoid needless association with people who smoke or who may invite you to do so. Also stay away from individuals who try to undermine your efforts to quit, perhaps by teasing you about it.

[B]Emotions:[/B] In one study almost two thirds of those who relapsed felt stressed or angry just prior to their relapse. If a certain feeling triggers the urge to smoke, distract yourself—perhaps by drinking water, chewing gum, or going for a walk. Try to fill your mind with positive thoughts, perhaps by going to God in prayer or reading a few pages of the Bible.—Psalm 19:14.

[B]Rationalizations to Avoid[/B]

● [I]I’ll only take one puff.[/I]

[B]Reality:[/B] Just one puff can satisfy up to 50*percent of certain nicotine receptors in your brain for three hours. The result is often a full relapse.

● [I]Smoking helps me deal with stress[/I].

[B]Reality:[/B] Studies show that nicotine actually increases levels of stress hormones. Any perceived relief from stress may be largely a result of the temporary fading of withdrawal symptoms.

● [I]I’m too far gone to quit[/I].

[B]Reality:[/B] Pessimism saps the will. The Bible says: “Have you shown yourself discouraged in the day of distress? Your power will be scanty.” (Proverbs 24:10) So avoid defeatist thinking. Anyone who really wants to quit and who applies practical principles, such as those mentioned in this magazine, can succeed.

● [I]The withdrawal symptoms are too much for me[/I].

[B]Reality:[/B] Granted, withdrawal symptoms are powerful, but they will subside within just a few weeks. So stay focused! If a desire to smoke resurfaces months or years later, it too will pass, likely in just a few minutes—if you do not light up a cigarette.

Yeah that’s all good advice. Especially the part about one puff/drag of a smoke. My brain is always trying to convince me that I should go buy a pack and pull one smoke out then toss the rest… I’ve done that before when trying to quit. It never works. You can’t ever have another smoke if you are serious about quitting.

And I’m serious. That’s why I qont even allow myself the patch or gum… To me that’s not quitting.

Hey Chip, on a quick side note, I’m not really religious, but more spiritual. So I’m not too familiar with some of this stuff but I have a question regarding marketing towards churches and or religious people in general. Basically I’m curious if my idea is a good one and if it is likely to be taken wrong or upset people.

Hey I’ll PM you what I am thinking…

yea ,no cures yet for that one…yes the transfusions are because of the course it takes…just
keeps not being able to process the red blood cells properly, i read ethanol causes it too…grr
made me think green even more…she did quit completely …seems a little late tho,
thanks for your good thoughts…
i commend you you’re doing good with it ,my uncle quit 30 yrs ago
he is now 75 and still works pt time , he’s never started up
or had problems with others around him smoking ,…after about
10 yrs, before that he didn’t care for the smell and would let us
know about it, but after 10 yrs it’s like he never knew of smoking…
you have any military in your family?

Well that sucks about MDS! I wish your mom the best.

As for your Uncle quitting 30 years ago-- that’s cool. It’s nice to hear stories like that.

It’s also funny because I already don’t care if I smell smoke. At first it made me want a cigarette really bad, but now it just smells like it did before I ever started smoking…gross.

I hadn’t realized that once you start smoking, you really don’t smell cigarette smoke in the air or on others very much. But man, once you quit, you realize that you walked around smelling like a nasty ashtray that whole time.

I smell people in stores now who I can tell that they smoke from five feet away. Also I smell everything else too-- that’s one of the only down-sides to not smoking… now I smell everyone… and some people really stink! I don’t like to shop at Wal-Mart much these days. I’m not knocking Wal-Mart because I smell the stinkers everywhere, but I always seem to get slammed by the bad ones at Wal-Mart. Sad that I was probably one of these stinkers too for all these years.

Hopefully my old sniffer will settle down after a while. I really don’t like being able to smell other people so clearly…lol

That reminds me, I walked by some teenager clothing store in the mall the other day that sell really stinky clothes…oh man that store about made me vomit. I could smell the store literally a hundred yards away!

i had an uncle ,was such a heavy smoker he even smoked when he was swimming in the sea . he had a special smokers cap that had a waterproof pouch to carry a lighter etc . this was in the 1970s

I can understand that. Back when I was 19-20 yrs old, I would sometimes when in a hurry, have a smoke in the shower… Lol, yeah those were the days;)

omg that’s bad , i’ve never wanted to smoke when doing sports , that’s 1 reason why i like wc

Sorry I just realized that I didn’t answer this question.

My brother was in the Army and my Grandfather was a career Navy during WW2 and other places. In fact I just learned a few days ago that he had died last year. We weren’t close.

Why do you ask? Did you serve with a Woodruff or something?

Nate,

Haven’t check with you in a few days, been real busy. What is this, day 13? How you holding up?

Hey Chip, doing perfect! Haven’t had a smoke since the day I quit.

It’s still rough sometimes, but my resolve to quit smoking us as strong today as the day I became a non-smoker :wink:

Keep it up. This is the one time that you will never regret being a quitter.

I agree. It feels good to be a quitter;)

I think I’m starting to beat the withdrawals, well I mean I think that the 23 year love affair with nicotine is losing it’s grip on my lungs.

I noticed today when I stopped at a convenience store, that I happened to be looking at all the ciggaretttes in the display, and I had absolutely no desire whatsoever to buy any or smoke any-- in fact the idea of lighting up a smoke actually sounded gross to me.

So I think I’m winning this battle for sure.

Good for you. And everyone around you!

Thanks Dan. And yeah, I’m hoping my kids are still too young to ever have memories of me smoking. I can’t imagine them becoming smokers, especially if they started because they saw me smoking and thought it must be alright.

I am 47 years old, started smoking 13ish. I one day early Feb of 1992 said to myself, time to quit. I was able to stop cold turkey and have never had one since. One saying a close friend said was " don’t quit quitting". just always stuck with me. 5 years ago did the same with drinking. Must say life is so nice, no coughing and hangovers. Feel the same every day, and that is way cool. Hang in there, soooo worth it.

Cool man, nice job!

I too can tell already that my mood is evening out. I never realized that I would start getting irritable between smokes. So all day long I was bouncing between withdrawals and then smoking to relive the withdrawals.

Glad to get off that crazy train.

Hey Nate,
Did you know you’re a nicotine addict? If you decide to smoke one cigarette it will most likely turn into 10,000 packs. Your only in your 30’s so 10,000 packs is about right if you decide to start up again full time. You’re an addict, right? That means one cigarette will never be enough.

I quit a three times. It’s been 15 years. Good luck.