I'm selling my business - NEED ADVICE!

+1

Every where that I am looking to expand is atleast 2 hours away, different headaches but also can give you a safety net, housing markets and even climate can vary greatly in that distance. If you have those variances maybe downturns or off seasons in one market will be offset by the other market.

I wanted to focus on the helping other window cleaning professionals with their marketing efforts.

So far, so good.

Master’s Window Cleaning - I am relocating to Davis, CA in 10 days, and am very interested in your business. I’d like to make you an offer that I think you will find very compelling to take action on right away.

Please contact me via e-mail ASAP.

Mike Brown
[email protected]

A contract will only protect your best interest if it is being enforced. Don’t underestimate anti-trust issues and greed. Take all the personal wishes out of this and look at it as if you were a judge.

Also note that personal habits and personality and leadership skills will reflect from the president to the financial future of the company in a small business. A person that offends easily will probably be the type to lose customers in a situation that required understanding and so forth. Fire him and train someone that can overlook the decitions human emotion will lead a person too. If your seriously considering expecting 20% every month with no hope of failing despots to your bank account your best bet is to delay your departure and find someone better.

Then again there is nothing stoping him from operating under his own name and taking your customers. Here is a question for you to ask yourself. Why should he spend over $ 100000 ! on a window cleaning company when he could be making profits under his own name in his first month of business and if he cant start a profiting window cleaning business within a month or 2 then don’t expect this company you want to sell him to have any real growth or competitive edge or any decent understanding of business.

The questions you listed were obtuse and you should conceder a consultant and/or talking to a lawyer (a very good one).

Wow good luck with that.

A contract will only protect your best interest if it is being enforced. Don’t underestimate anti-trust issues and greed. Take all the personal wishes out of this and look at it as if you were a judge.

Also note that personal habits and personality and leadership skills will reflect from the president to the financial future of the company in a small business. A person that offends easily will probably be the type to lose customers in a situation that required understanding and so forth. Fire him and train someone that can overlook the decitions human emotion will lead a person too. If your seriously considering expecting 20% every month with no hope of failing despots to your bank account your best bet is to delay your departure and find someone better.

Then again there is nothing stoping him from operating under his own name and taking your customers. Here is a question for you to ask yourself. Why should he spend over $ 100000 ! on a window cleaning company when he could be making profits under his own name in his first month of business and if he cant start a profiting window cleaning business within a month or 2 then don’t expect this company you want to sell him to have any real growth or competitive edge or any decent understanding of business.

The questions you listed were obtuse and you should conceder a consultant and/or talking to a lawyer (a very good one).

I decided to have my guys keep working and not sell.
I will try this for at least a year and I was going to get
the same amount of money only once and now I will get it every year.
Phil

I’ve been trying to sell my business for a few years now but the buyers want to pay me over a 2-3 year window which I find risky. Once you fork up your client list they possess your most important asset. What do you do if they stiff you for $$$ and then have your database? I feel an up-front price is the only way to go. Besides do you want to get stuck in a 2-3 year transition period if you’re trying to get out?

As for price, I would sell for at least one season’s profits.

Im not sure youll ever find a buyer if you want up front cash. Its pretty normal to spread the payements out over 3-5 years. If someone has upfront cash there more likely to just start a business.

You’re probably right. I guess getting a legal contract would be crucial in a 3-5 year transition. What’s to prevent them from paying little $$$ up-front and then closing down shop only to re-open in 6 months with another business name?

Nothings really stopping them. Your best bet is to contact a business broker and let them come up with a valuation, finding the buyer, handle the legal works and contracts… they will take 10% - but it will be done right.

I AM NOT A LAWYER AND CANNOT GIVE YOU LEGAL ADVICE.

HOWEVER, the key is the contract. You want to include non-compete clauses. Written correctly, the contract can forbid him to start up a competing business and siphon off customers.

Additionally, some comments discuss upfront payment. This seems rather difficult, because the buyer is not guaranteed profits (assuming you don’t have your customers under contract). Rather than trying to secure a buyer with immediate cash, I would try to construct some kind of financing agreement with these elements:

1. Specific agreed-upon price (I cannot speak as to what an appropriate figure may be)

2. An interest rate (perhaps one that is low, so as to be attractive, but also high enough to encourage the buyer to pay ahead, thus getting you your money quicker)

3. A minimum payment per month (with the option to pay more at no penalty to save on interest fees)

If you have a non-compete clause, there’s no way he can steal your customers. You’ll have legal recourse. I think this is one of those times in life where lawyer’s fees will be worth their weight in gold.

Again, I’m not a lawyer, but my wife (the brains of our business) took a contracts law class last year, and this was what she came up with on the fly.

Myself, I’d probably try to keep both businesses :slight_smile:

Call an immigration attorney. They have a line of people trying to buy small businesses so they cam immigrate.

AC

I’ve sold my business in Belgium before i moved to the states to start my window cleaning business and i was lucky to get the value of all my machines and a full years revenue. i also considered someone paying me a fixed amount each month but i would have stated in a contract that all equipment and the business name would stay mine untill the full amount was paid off…

i wouldnt try to get a monthly percentage because he wont be honest with you. you also need to keep in mind that he could easily ruin what you built in a couple of months and then walk away and leave you with nothing… be sure to have a good contract, both for you as for him… Good luck!

(btw, if he goes to the bank with a good business plan he shouldnt have any probs getting a loan, thats how i sold mine)

In college I was taught that the value of a business is physical assets (at liquidation value) + liquid assets + the average annual net income (over the last 3 years) +/- (income trend %) 20% of the next 6 months contractual assets (multiplied by the rating of the contractual asset, for instance a Government asset is worth more than a A+ corporate asset and a business not listed in Dunn and Bradstreet is worth much less) + managerial assets + goodwill. Goodwill is the hardest to put a price on but in a successful business, but often the most valuable.

I know that this issue has been resolved by the owner turning the business into a branch office, but I didn’t hear anyone mention Goodwill or contracts so I wanted to chime in.

BTW, I was with Chris on this get a business broker, but interview a bunch of them, some have real contacts and others just have a business card!

Michael Kelly

[MENTION=1567]Master’s Window Cleaning[/MENTION] Did you wind up selling?

Jasper
A1 Glass and Screen Services
Citrus Heights, CA

Some old threads being pulled up wow

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resourceyryx