Is a VEHICLE considered a marketing tool?

[B]CFP:[/B]

I respect your opinion, CFP, though I definitely disagree.

Are business cards, postcards, websites, emails, uniforms, phone messages, estimates, invoices, and yellow page ads marketing tools?

I say yes.

Because ANY media that can support and communicate a sales message is by extension a ‘tool’ to do so. Of course, ‘marketing’ per se, is crafting and refining our sales message to appeal to a very specific, target prospect.

[I]By that definition[/I], a truck [I]could [/I]be a ‘marketing tool’, no?

And I ask this question in sincerity, since you seem confident in your perspective.

I think you have made a very important point in mentioning that when you see a vehicle with some lettering and company info, you said

" I would need to think “hey, I could use that service”, then I would have to think “hey, I should get that number”, then I would have to dig through things to get a pen and paper… by then, who cares. I have lost interest. I’ll just look somebody up online or in the book later. No big deal. "

In this scenario, you don’t really have an [i]immediate need[/I] that this company fills, whereas if the company DID happen to cater to an immediate need, would your response be different? What if you WERE looking for a plumber/painter/cabinetmaker…AND then factor in whether or not you had bottomless pockets to address this need.

Average vehicle vs. Sweet vehicle. No difference in impression to you, all other things being equal?

RE your comment: “Our trucks fanciness will not get us more customers.”

I guess I really have to wait to see if my results will be different, since my experience has been NIL thus far, awaiting the vehicle, so I’ll stop blabbing about the theoretical in my company’s case! It must be frustrating not to see ANY interest generated by your vehicle, versus the results that many others here have observed, as noted on this thread. I can see why you would have the position you have, with your poor results in mind. What do you chalk up the difference to? Say, between your experience and that of a guy like Juggernaut?

[B]Juggernaut: [/B]

Kudos on the valuable score of that well-priced job, and on reaping the rewards of your intelligent marketing investment! This is what I would identify as proof of what I perceive to be the case across the board…

[B]Gleaming:[/B]

Yeah - I’m just doing a couple of small custom things to it, but nothing too exciting. Aside from that, I’ll throw some nice lettering on it too, but not the wrap deal, but something more elegant.

I don’t know what the customer’s point of view is. But I make snap judgements on seeing what other window cleaner drive. I usually see old beaten up trucks that look like the engine was rebuilt twice and it is held up by duct tape.

I have negative judgements about them, and conclude their prices must of not been raised in 25 years and they are working for poverty wages.

When I see a nice shining vehicle, I think they must be doing well, and charging a good price.

But I have no idea what the customer is thinking. Most of my customers are happy when they know I am doing well, they smile if they ask how’s business and I say good. Most are on your side, and want you to succeed. So a nice vehicle might help.

I would always first think of the practicality of the vehicle, can it take wfp, or ladders, or how adaptible is it if I expand my business, then look for the advertising value, or the impression it leaves. I guess after all Kevin it is a tax writeoff.

Just my two thoughts.

Thanks. I look at my truck as both name recognition and marketing. But more name recognition. I have called a number off of a truck in the past year but I understand completely were CFP is coming from in that regard. It’s the 1st and only number I have called from a truck and that was because I really had no time to get something done on my house and the guy was in front of me. With that said, he did have a nice truck and that was the 1st thing I noticed and thought to myself he must be doing well. Has a service I need, call him. But he was way over priced. My truck has my vanity number on it. It’s easy to remember. I know I have gotten calls from my truck as customers have told me. But I really don’t think it’s so much marketing as they needed the service and saw the truck. I think if you really wanted a marketing tool, you should have bought a van and installed some kind of rotating sign thingy along the side. Or a ticker sign. At least that way you can change the message when you want and then you have more of a marketing tool.

I think the problem we have is putting ourselves into the shoes of our clients.

And when I say ‘we’ I really should be saying “me”, since I don’t own a $5 mil home, and I don’t drive a Bentley Continental.

I have, on occasion, decided to invest in premium things (dinner at a fancy restaurant, for example), based entirely on ‘image’, and very little else, and would do it often If I could afford it…

If I had the big bucks, would I do the same for everything? I think I would, but that doesn’t mean every loaded person would/should/does.

Lots of rich people in my city continue to buy solely on price, but I could care less about catering to these people.

I actually had a brand new (RICH, BIG 'OL HOUSE) client call up today and say to me “I just need my windows cleaned ASAP, and you can charge me whatever you want, as long as it gets done”.

These people are real, and they live in almost every corner of the world. This whole vehicle thing I hope can grab more of their attention!

I am always in the rich neighborhoods and notice how crappy most company vehicles are, almost all of them from every industry. Yet there they are, day in and day out with their little magnet signs hanging crooked… and busy as hell.

Would it look better and reflect a more professional image to have a nice vehicle, absolutley! Is it that important?.. absolutley not. Except when that image thing is one of the most important things to us… not so much for them. I worked out of a Intrepid for years and I was busy as hell.

Exactly!..

CFP, that’s a good point about the contractors vehicles sometimes being junk, and yet getting the work somehow.

I’ve seen that around here, too.

The flip-side is that I see all the other guys too, with the sweet vehicles.

Are they all suckers, or simply showing off, or is there some method to their madness? Has it affected their bottom line? Only they know, I guess. Maybe I should ask a few!

I see this contrast with landscaping contractors especially. Wide, wide contrast. And of course, window cleaners too.

First off, there is nothing wrong with having a nice vehicle, even if it is mostly for yourself.

It is important for us to feel proud of what we have and showcase that. The problem I have is this is about marketing. Sure it can play a minor role in advertising, but it plays a major role in awareness. Which, as you know, is very important.

When they see my fliers/mailers and see my vehicle going up and down the street all day, everyday. It has a huge effect on the next marketing blitz.

My latest flier (with no company name on it) had some interesting events. I had a lady say she knew that it was my company just by the wording! I was floored. That was the most meaningful thing that has happened to me with advertising.

Another thing with all the landscapers/roofers/cleaning people/painters that I see in the crappy cars, they also employ large amounts of Mexicans. I know most of us have expressed fear in hiring them as to our guarded “image” would be in jeopardy.

It simply is not true. Those companies are busy, some making a lot more than us (per sale). I battle my ego everyday and I find out the more times I can trump it, the more successful I become.

by the way paneless, I have been forcing debate as it opens us up to other things (both of us). I am not doing it to argue.

I like and respect you greatly… and I love that you are always trying something new.

I transport my Mexicans in a hidden compartment underneath my vehicle.

HEY! Stop talkin about my ride. LOL

I’m waiting til next spring to buy my new/used vehicle. Until then I’m in my 93 buick with the magnet sign.

I think that marketing is all relative to what location you are in. What works in one area may not work in others. Driving a $75k vehicle in my area would hurt me. But where $75k vehicles are the norm, I can see where driving a $20k could hurt business.

I’ve got an 07 Toyota Tundra, which I would say is a good marketing tool in my market. Not too fancy, but probably slightly nicer then my compitition’s. Once I have it lettered, it should really stand out.

However, I think keeping your vehicle neat and CLEAN, is by far more important then what kind of vehicle you are driving.

Good point, WWW

And, for the record, an '07 Tundra is a [I]very [/I]nice vehicle. Post a picture when its lettered up…

Well, the truck has arrived.

Heres one pic: http://www.panelessperfection.com/truck/IMG00467.jpg

And here are more:

http://www.panelessperfection.com/truck/

Nothing too crazy, but more than I ever planned until a few months ago…and I’ll let you know how it all works out for getting more work…

What is your schedule for application of advertising?

Hay Paneless,
How many squeeges will that haul!! Nice rig.

Thx.

Advertising applied ASAP.

I take delivery of the vehicle this coming Wednesday.

Wear it in good health!

Congrats Paneless! Sweet ride.

Sweet Ride Kevin! you’ll get noticed thats for sure! There is a guy up here (not a window cleaner) with the new International truck…very sweet! He’s got the lettering on top of windshield "Hum This!"
Thought to myself…one day ill have one of 'em with Crazy Clean all over it!