Is Dawn the best solution to clean windows?

My fear with regular watery solution on mirrors is that it can seep behind the glass and show rust or moisture from the edges over time. For that reason I use Spray-Way for that application.

WD-40 will clean dried Christmas paint…lol

I use dawn and DI/RO water all traditional, and it works out very well. Ecover smells good, so I’ve used it for interiors at times. To be honest, I could just have used lemon palmolive. We have hard water here, so the mineral deposits leave more of a haze than the soap. GG4 is great if you don’t have a DI/RO system though…

You know once your dirty mop touches that pure water once that it is not “pure water” anymore because there will be dirt and other particles in there now.

Here’s a huge favor/timesaver, don’t waste your time with DI/RO purified water to put soap and dunk mops into because it will be pure water until you add soap or touch your mop to the water.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts
Home
Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

I get it. I just figure it would be better than using hard tap water. Sure, the sediment from the windows will settle in my bucket, but I’ve personally had good results. I definitely see your point though…

It’s weird. I’ve had clients tell me after I’m half done that their windows look great (looking at the dirty ones). I tell them “thanks!” and I’d yet to do them. Presentation and personality are critical… at least from my angle.

I’ve been there and done that. I thought the same thing and never saw a difference, no matter how hard or soft the water was that I used.

If you’re that concerned bring a few gallons of water with you in the truck to jobs so you have your own water for the jobs if that area happens to be a hard water area.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts
Home

I have done the same thing with dawn only, gg4 only, and dawn gg4 mix, I was told by my boss who has a chemistry degree that the ro/di water and soap bound to each other make the pure water pointless and the soap less effective. Meaning you have to add more soap then the pure water can absorb.

Because that’s what they expect us to do…

Sent from my Panasonic VCR. Please set the clock before responding.

You don’t need a chemistry degree to know that adding something to pure water won’t make it pure.

Here’s a good equation I use when I think of useless steps to get clean glass:

Pure water= awesome for wfp

Pure water+dirty mop(or new/clean mop)+soap= water with soap and debris from mop

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts
Home

Tap water+soap+dirty mop still = water soap and debris because soap grabs dirt from mop and mix with bucket water. I agree with you that pure water is pointless but for a different reason than you.

I spray just a tad once my solution of water and dawn is properly mixed. it helps to leave less streaks to detail you feel me?

U are right mane, customers do enjoy that I use dawn after they ask what kind of window cleaning solution I apply to there windows. Sum say its because its non toxic towards there plants and such. Others have said they like it because most importantly the quality of finish it helps produce etc.

I honestly use the spray away for other cleaning tasks as well besides mixing it. It also works great for interior skylights so u don’t drip water on the floor every where or have it drop down in your face. also spray-away works great on French pane windows and on interiors windows that aren’t visually dirty but if sun hits it dust would show so I use it to help speed up the process in a way…

oh I also forgot to mention sorry about the spray-away for skylights, its great for interior skylight so dirty water or build up doesn’t get on the drywall/paint and drip down right after u squeegee it.

hell yeah good to know man thank for the post.

I have heard of e-cover and qq4 but they just sound expensive based off the name…lol no1 has mentioned the price on these solutions…what are they?

Even though I acknowledge that pure water is pointless with soap I do it a lot in Commercial. Only because I have to refill my bucket and water hose with pure water is next to me but I really don’t see any difference between pure water and tap.

You all are right. I’m just being OCD… Someone told me to try pure-water because glass is porous and will eventually haze with mineral deposits if tap water is used. I can’t tell the difference either.

I guess the surfactants in dawn and the dirt and dust I pull off of my first window onto my wand defeats the whole purpose of pure water.

My brain powers need synaptic intervention.

I have being using gg4 with super slip because of humidity and it does a fantastic job, have used it with eecover and works well. I just tried gg3 and because it is concentrate I use less, in doing so my pure water that I use for the solution stays at lower tds in comparison with gg4. I’m going to monitor it closely because if my solution stays between 15-24 tds with gg3, compared to 40-60 with gg4 if anything stays behind it shouldn’t be as obvious.

Tharsys Window Cleaning LLC Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource

there is no difference to me either because if u think about it how would the window gain mineral deposits if u squeegee off all the water and hopefully detail the window as well…lol