Is "The Legend of Doug" a Scam?

In theory I would LOVE to work with WCR as far as site design / SEO goes, but in reality, I won’t touch new web work April - December. Thats Triple C Pro Window Cleaners time for me, focused like a laser beam.

Although I’ve been doing design projects for years, I never intended it to be a full time job. It just kind of snowballed this winter, and I’m not complaining one bit. I didn’t have to fight for storefront work this winter because of web work, and that makes me extremely happy :slight_smile:

It seems like you’re going to be the design man around here… best of luck bro, you seem like one of the good guys!

Now… if it isn’t toe-stepping on you, and if Chris and Alex are interested… I wouldn’t mind getting in on the whole WCR “template” game at some point… :slight_smile:

I think you two just had a moment!:rolleyes:

I thought that dude was a quack from the jump and unfortunately he jacked you guys! Pretty simple nobody is getting a cent back but look at the bright side you can write it off. I would personally suggest banding together and making a class action lawsuit against that quack! I never gave him a cent and in fact have been able to SEO myself to page one by accident.

Sorry about the train robbery but look at it this way, Doug is like Sh@# on the shoe, you step in it, hose it off and keep moving. So hose Doug off your shoe and keep moving. He should be ousted from San Diego Thats why the town got rid of Doug

Also if anyone whats the money back from Doug they should report what he did to the San Diego Latter Day Saints sect of the Mormon Church he belongs to

If anyone who was ripped by Doug is interested in taking this to the next
step and get involved legally I would be interested in getting involved.

At this point it is not so much about my money, it is the fact that he thinks
he is better than all of us and operates as if he has the world in his pocket.

For those who have been ripped I think there is enough evidence to make it
worth while. There are invoices, wire transfers, emails, this post etc.

And BTW I thought it was a little fishy when he had me wire the money to
someone else’s name, again I just thought it was alright being so many ppl seemed
to use him.

I’m game with getting him back and filing a civil lawsuit if others are interested.

You should also contact the district attorneys office in San Diego.

Don’t forget the San Diego BBB. They make reports on all businesses. If everyone calls and files complaints, and they know that he has been the owner of 3 different companies, they will more than likely use his name too.

MUD, (new name)

Ultimate sign of a criminal.

Really? What’s the logic here?

Yeah I guess I just figured he had a business partner. Or wait…maybe he did. Meet my friend Mr. Invisible!

Really Larry?

Wire transfer = cash = no recourse like a credit card dispute or check, theft by deception.
In someone else’s name = no record of a transaction between the two of you

Doesn’t get much shadier than that…

You’ve been watching too many cop shows. Today’s investigations are very comprehensive and thorough, especially with electronic records. There’s always a trail…

I don’t watch many cops shows, but I was a cop for a few years, does that count? 1. Without a check or credit card to work with the D.A. isn’t going to be interested in spending his time tracking down your “paper trail.” 2. If I wire money to your friend, I do not have a business transaction with you, and if there is no agreement from your friend, I have nothing except the fact I sent money to someone. 3. and most important, if you wire cash, it’s gone, Western Union, isn’t going to help you get it back.

I guess the DA’s office in my county is pretty efficient then. A close friend is a DDA and she has shared generic info about verbal and written agreements, tracing phone and electronic records, and their successes.

BTW, I’ve only made wire transfers through my bank; it was removed from my account and transferred to an account at another bank. Kyle’s relationship and agreement with Doug is apparently well documented.

I’m certainly not saying that is the case in all scam cases, but I can think of valid reasons why a person requests payment to a third party. Heck, our daughter pays her insurance back to us by paying the cable bill.

I suppose anything is possible if you have a dedicated prosecutor. I think in this case Doug is guilty of the federal crime of “wire fraud” since money was sent interstate. That’s one good reason for him to clear this up fast. His having payment wired to a friend makes it look like he intended to defraud from the outset. He better hope all these victims don’t get together and press charges…

I kinda hope they do…

The logic is that any money was not sent to Doug, it was sent to a 3rd party. . It is pretty simple. I am not going to fully get into it, but I can say from reading your post that you have been watching far too much CSI.

Because money did transfer state lines, this would be considered a federal crime. I would contact anyone who would listen including BBB, State and local DA’s, Secretary’s of State, look for federal information which I believe the ICE is now handling, any review or social networking sites, etc…

Also, file a police report in your local area so that there is record of the crime. There may be no financial recourse, but justice will prevail in one form or another.

You might also 1099 him for contracted work to get the IRS on his back too. Just a thought.

An argument loses credibility with statements such as this, eh?

Assumptions and generalizations are not facts.

I do believe that Doug ripped people off. I don’t know if it was a planned scam. I do know that he advertised a deal where he was probably in over his head (kinda like a poorly planned Groupon deal.). The Interweb makes it very easy for folks to be aken advantage of.

I hope everybody gets their money back, including myself.

I did not know we were arguing? If that was your intention, I cant do it. I don’t have the time to be a internet tough guy and constantly prove people wrong on here with my wide array of knowledge.

It appears that you paid money to Doug for services that he could not provide. Maybe you also wired money to a 3rd person and you are embarrassed by not catching on that Doug was running a scam.

I did not have any work (or misappropriated funds, I should say) done by Doug (thank the good Lord) but I certainly feel bad for those that did and hope that everyone will get their money back.