Ladder Safety

[B][FONT=“Franklin Gothic Medium”][SIZE=“4”]3 POINTS OF CONTACT…[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

3 points of contact is a procedure while using your ladder. Basically it’s having 2 hands one foot on your ladder or 2 feet and one hand ! This assures stability while on the ladder.

When going up the ladder and you grab the rung you’ll only be having 2 POC, The safer way is to go up with your hands on the rail, that way your hands never leave the ladder. This may seem mundane but it is safer, because there are 2 hands and one foot on the ladder. Be sure your hands aren’t loaded with slippery soapy water ! TSP can be very slippery as well as some other soaps !

Now when you go off your ladder onto a roof or back on your ladder from a roof, it should be two hands on the top of the rail and one foot on the rung while stepping off. This is the safest why to leave your ladder !

When you go off onto a roof with a bucket or a blower they should be set on the opposite side from where you step off. In most cases you should keep your pole in your hand. Sometime you need to set it down that’s when one needs to keep their minds eye at the ready.

With a pole it’s just to easy to lose sight of if you set it on the roof. Rookies and most other folks have tunnel vision when stepping off a ladder because their minds eye is focused on the danger and the surreal-ness while at the top of a ladder stepping off.

I once had a young rookie working with me who was a 5 black belt karate teacher. I told him where to set his pole. He set his ladder up to go up onto a parking garage which was ONLY 10’ up.

Now this guy wasn’t real tune into ladders and every step up one or stepping on to a roof was a real chore for him.He was new and learning still but he seemed OK on the ladder just slow ! That’s something that happens to almost all newbies.

Well he went up the ladder set his pole on the roof, stepped off his ladder not being aware of his pole because he was focusing on stepping off and when he did step on the roof he stepped on his pole. He lost his balance and was going off the roof and ladder backwards. Well, being a karate expert he did a karate move in mid air and this caused him to land on his feet. Suffice to say he only got hair lined fractured in one foot and didn’t scramble his egg or brake his neck or land into deaths chamber ! LUCKY !!!

Back to three points…
When you get to the top to clean your window, three points of contact should remain in play. When stretching to one side both feet should remain on the ladder and one hand on the rail. This is basic procedure, there will be times you’ll need to lift your foot to stretch and this is a CALCULATED RISK you are now at 2 POC at this point as well at all points AWARENESS IS KEY…Never stretch with your belt buckle past the rail.

A Calculated Risk…

YES, YES; I’m sure there are those who will say that this is stupid or you can’t do it this way, but those are the famous last words. Your semi right in that if you leave these perimeters then your taking calculated risks which can lead to foolish risks if your not aware of the safety perimeters. 3 point should be STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES that is left only after one calculates the risk !

Always the procedures should be enforced with Rookies until they they learn the full perimeters of the risks involved, to teach otherwise is like not telling a child to look both ways before crossing a street !

When we train people their safety and lives are in our hands !

OK Yawl be safe and remember [B][SIZE=“4”][COLOR=“red”]“3 POINTS OF CONTACT”![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Danger is the name of the game, AWARENESS IS THE WINNING HAND !!

DANGEROUS

ABSOLUTE STUPIDNESS…

Also another point to 3 points of contact is when you use a pole off a ladder your at 2points of contact ,having to lean back some to do the pole work. Now I’ve done this kind of cleaning before and I’ve never gotten use to. It goes against every sense of balance. Now I’m fairly good at cleaning the window this way but my awareness is at its peak.

I must say that doing this is very, very, very dangerous. Not recommended for rookies and those with experience must be at their APEX OF AWARENESS !

BE SAFE YAWL !

Dange

when i pole from up my ladder i make sure my insteps on my shoes are over the rung (ie better stability)

i stumbled onto a great shoe for ladderwork. trainers made by MERCURY . these are cheap-as-chips,churned out in the far east , but have a "marshmallow"type rubber sole.also have a good shaped instep . they only last me 2 months per pair because the rubber sole is so soft. Mercury grips great on roofs too . Mercury shoes with the marshmallow soles are usually white/red/blue ,they seem to have about 3 new designs each year(always same rubber mix for the soles),i usually buy 10 pairs at a go .

a good test for a true mercury is to push a drawing pin into the sole-it will go straight in if its the right sort.

p.s> DANGE ,what happened to that guy that slid down the wall and cut his hands so>? and the karate guy? still see them around?

ENGLISH-JON…
Happy New Year to you…Are you talking about tennis shoes or boots ?

The Karate kid quit the job and I don’t know what he’s doing now… Same as the other guy ! I’m sure though he had a difficult time of it in recovery ! I know because I had to recover for 5 months 15 years ago when I shattered my knee after sliding off a wood shake roof only 10’ off the ground…

I now have a steel plate and 13 screw with a 1" square bone transplant in my Tibia plateau ! I’m lucky I’m not dead or at vegetable-status !

Happy New Year to Yawl…Be safe this year ! Remember anything can happen to anyone, anytime, anyplace ! Think Things Through.

Dave

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all ! heres a photo of the Mercury shoes(left) , fantastic grip ,but they do wear quickly. i have looked at many shoes since,the big name brands such as NIKE,ADIDAS etc use a different rubber formula (longer lasting,but less grip )

on the right in the photo are a pair of professional work shoes,with Anti slip soles. Unfortunately i have found they have inferior grip on ladder rungs (maybe due to the rubber being harder). They look smart and long lasting but i now only use them for walking my dog !

[COLOR=“green”][SIZE=“4”]The Stabilizer Bar…[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I’d like point out the great use of the stabilizer bars…

When I first started out I never used a stabilizer bar and when I did use one I didn’t like it.With that said that seems to be a fairly general way that cleaners approach new things that come along.

Even though the stabilizer bar was already around when I first started. One thing I’ve adjusted to is to at least consider new tools that come out…Right now I’m having trouble with accepting the wagtail, and when I first started with the tucker and DI I had a problem but once I realized the grand use of it, I now love it.

Once I worked for a fella that had a Werner Quick Click stabilizer bar. Now that I could take it off quickly and not having to leaving it on, I began to realize the true benefit of the Stabilizer bar.

Today I work with them constantly when cleaning windows or doing gutters, or having them in place when I need to get up on a roof.

I have one for each of my ladders and for my sectional ! They are an absolute safety device, ergo the name stabilizer. They really do the job and keep one safe.

Again I’d like to point out that it’s usually PILOT ERROR when accidents happen !

The stabilizer keeps your ladder directly off the gutter so there is no metal on metal… Which can cause one to mess up the gutter and or keeps your ladder from sliding.

This bar is pretty standard for window and gutter cleaning, it is one you just leave on your ladder.

This bar is the quick click which is highly safe and very versatile, Being able to take it off or install it quickly !

These bars work great also on ladders with open rungs, I personally use these on my sectional ladders !

Sure these do make your ladder a little heavier but with the safety they provide that is something that one should be able to live with !

Now these 3 bar are only 3 standard bars and I’m sure there are other styles and types.So if anyone has other types feel free to post it here.

[COLOR=“teal”][SIZE=“5”]SAFETY FIRST YAWL…[/SIZE][/COLOR]

DANGEROUS / LADDER WORK

They are no longer available in the US… I believe most European suppliers have them.

I think really the most important thing with ladder safety, and I tell my guys this all the time is:

[B]Do Not get to comfortable up there[/B]

Its very easy to get comfortable after years of use, thats when accidents happen. Respect the ladder!

Chris, my sentiments exactly!

I typically tell myself, “You’re up on a ladder [or roof], lunkhead!” while performing that work.

[font=“franklin gothic medium”][size=“6”][color=“navy”]amen to that…[/color][/size][/font]

[SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“green”][FONT=“Franklin Gothic Medium”]Hey Mr.L…Thanks for the input anything said can only help others to think when their on a ladder ![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][B][COLOR=“navy”][SIZE=“3”][FONT=“Franklin Gothic Medium”]
When I get on a ladder I alway say to myself… { SAFETY FIRST / YOUR IN A DANGEROUS SITUATION ! }.

After the accidents I’ve had and all the close calls, It’s important to do as Mr.Lambrinedes said and that’s not to get lacks . It’s real easy to do when you get comfortable on a ladder, to not feel in danger ! Now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying to be tense or tight but rather always be aware of things, Cognizant ! We need to check, double check and then check it again! Alway have safety in the for front of our minds.

It’s real easy to cut corners or to think “What me worry I’ve been doing this for years”, these are the famous last words ! Arrogance and corner cutting, slackness, goes before a fall…THINK THINGS THROUGH, even the most salted and experienced journeymen need to think out every set and or step !

To continually repeat all that this thread is trying to convey will never be enough ! It gets right down to the nitty gritty when your about to ascend or descend and everything in-between !

The RANGER DANGE

DANGE WITH RANGE [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[B][I][FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“4”][COLOR=“navy”]OVER-BURDENED…
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

[B][FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“navy”]So let’s get back on track with ladder safety YAWL…The point being made here will be about carrying tools up the ladder…

Now it’s been pointed out about 3P/O contact and suggested that when going up the ladder one should run their hands up the rails, that way your hands don’ leave the ladder.

Well, if your grab the rung while climbing and you have a tool of sorts in a hand your going to trip yourself up…This would be an over calculated risk !

Now running up the rails with an item in your hand, a hose, or a pole or a bucket or even a blower is a calculated risk ! To carry up to many things at once is a for sure an over the top risk, meaning if you were trying to carry all the items already pointed out at once.

Naturally one does this to try and save time and to earn more money, and time saving is a good process if things are done safely and not recklessly ! Making money by working recklessly can only lead towards accidents, and making money isn’t worth becoming a veggie ! “KNOCK ON WOOD”…

When cleaning windows you don’t usually carry a lot in your hands because of a work belt, with your tools on it, it really helps out a lot. In my beginning days all we wore was a squeegee holster and we carried the strip washer or boar hair in our hand ! But today with the BOAB and squeegee holsters and a work poach all on a wide sturdy work belt, your really good to go !

Still when your doing gutter cleaning you need to carry things up the ladder, I can go up the ladder once with three different tools at the ready.

I’ll stand my 12’ or 24’ spoon pole against the gutter and ladder, with a gutter hook on my bucket I’ll hook that to my work belt, and in one hand I’ll go up the ladder with a hose. I’m sill able to grab the rail with either a pole,or a bucket, or a hose. Still I’m able to do all three with only one hand holding only one of the tools, which is still a calculated risk !

To be carrying all three items and or more in two or one hand, is only an accident waiting to happen, and if your not using a stabilizer bar and your ladder is against the gutter (metal slides on metal), with all them tools in your hands and the ladder slides you may get to meet Mr. Pavement @ about 90miles MPH !!! Even if you do have a stabilizer your still in jeopardy, carrying this much or more up a ladder.

I once worked at a two story condo complex with several three unit buildings. I was with a new guy who was a super green horn with a major chip on his shoulder ! We were doing gutter cleaning and window cleaning.

Now I went back to the truck to get a tool and I saw him going up a ladder that was to straight against the gutter and above the gutter about 3 inches, with a bucket, a pole and a hose in both hands.

As he was going up I ask him to stop and come down and he yelled at me “I’m WORKING” and he continued up on to the roof ! I again ask him to come down, because I wanted to explain to him the over calculated risk he was taking and how to ensure the process to avoid an accident ! He yelled at me to shut up and that he was working !

Suffice to say he needed to be educated on his misconceptions on ladder utilization, he was supposedly train by my employer and was to be already on track with the proper processes… Turns out my employers way of training was to give them the tools and a truck and say, go do this job. Assuming everyone knew how to do it (being It’s only window cleaning, being it’s only gutter
cleaning ) !

So when I saw him working, I then knew he wasn’t attuned to safety or to the proper procedures ! So being a Journeymen it’s inherent for me to correct others that I see making life threatening mistake which is #1, or slowing down and or messing up a job which is #2.

So back to him on the roof…

He wouldn’t come down and I was insistent that he should, to help preserve his life and limb ! Still refusing I said OK fine… As he was standing there looking down at me acting all in a tizzy I took down down the ladder and told him I’m not putting it back up unless he agreed to come down. Well he started cursing at me and saying he was going to kick my arse when he got down and this went on for maybe twenty minutes while I had gone over to clean a few windows.

Finally he said OK I’ll come down and listen to you, but then I’m going to kick your arse . So I put the ladder back up and he came down. I told him all of what he was doing that could cost him his life and limb, and how the employer didn’t properly train him, and then educated him on the proper procedures.

Then I told him, OK now go ahead and kick my arse…He turned around and went back up the ladder and completed the gutter cleaning !

Life is more important then personal angst or unwillingness to fellow proper direction from a lead man. I was 43 and he was only 23 and just out of the navy with his whole life in front of him and not planning on being a window / gutter cleaner his whole life. It didn’t make any sense to me to let him create for himself life altering injuries especially on my watch ! I just won’t look the other way when ones life is in jeopardy because they aren’t train properly, or if we are and we take foolish life altering risks ! If I’m there I’ll say something !

So then, Think things through as the Ya-mie-racer had said in this thread. Also don’t carry more up the ladder then what is safe, and if you need to make 2 trips then do it.
Train rookies how to do things properly ! We’re only talking about life and limb here, veggietability or quadropalepsie or parapalepsie or the death Nell… KNOCK ON WOOD (meaning THINK< THINK< THINK) !

DANGEROUS DAVE
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
:slight_smile:

[B][FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“4”][COLOR=“navy”]A QUICK POINT…[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“navy”]When we’re up a ladder at the top cleaning a bay with two windows and your right handed, and you use your right had to reach to your left to clean the window on your left because you can’t use your left hand, well that is highly greenish !

Reaching in front of your self to clean a window on the other side can through you off balance. One should learn to use both hands while on a ladder, or just cleaning any window for that matter.

Being ambidextrous while cleaning windows is just being efficient and safer while on a ladder, it’s smart and a step to becoming one of the " SONS OF ETTORE " !

" THE SON OF ETTORE " that trained me, watched me do that. I reached across the front of myself to clean the window on my right from my left, It was the very first time I went up a ladder as a rookie, and he called up and ask why ? I said I’m left handed !!!

He said, you need to be able to use both hands, you’ve never seen a one handed piano player have you ? It made a lot of sense when I was only 23…To this day I couldn’t do it any other way !

Just an easy point to understand YAWL !

Dange with no shame…[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]:slight_smile:

Dange ,surely you pass your squeegee or cloth behind your back to switch from right hand to left hand? i must admit it took me a few months to feel happy doing that as my shoulder joints werent happy doing that .plus ,at first,the tendency is to LEAN BACKWARDS as you swop over ! but somehow my body learnt to tip my head forwards at the same time as my arms reached across my back. im now happy doing it that way,definitely its quicker but obviously you are down to only 2 points of contact . if i lean my knee caps onto the rungs at the same time,im thinking its 4 points of contact :slight_smile:

Great thread - hope everyone reads this. Quite impressed with the matrix mat.

More reading:
Robinson-Solutions Professional Window Cleaning: Ladder Falls: Even The Most Experienced Can Fall
Robinson-Solutions Professional Window Cleaning: Dangerous iphone App’ For Window Cleaners
Robinson-Solutions Professional Window Cleaning: Fatal Fall For Window Cleaner In Montréal, Canada
Robinson-Solutions Professional Window Cleaning: LadderTwins - Ladder Safety for Window Cleaners
Robinson-Solutions Professional Window Cleaning: Is Cleaning a Window Worth Your Life?
Robinson-Solutions Professional Window Cleaning: Window Cleaning Pictures + Links
Robinson-Solutions Professional Window Cleaning: Telford Window Cleaner Fights For Life After Ladder Fall
Robinson-Solutions Professional Window Cleaning: Blackpool Features in HSE Safety Campaign
HSE - Shattered Lives

[B][FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“navy”]Hello KarL,

Thanks four your input and your web site displays on safety with the ladder. As I stated in the beginning of this thread it is dedicated to those injured or killed while using their ladders.

I hope and pray that we all will try and work with safety on our mind, the results from ladder accidents can be devastating !

I really liked all the stuff you displayed here, in the one where they are showing the chaps cleaning the glass awnings I know what they are saying is true. I see chaps walking on glass awnings all the time and they trust it very soundly. It’s only an accident waiting to happen…
[B][FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“#006400”]I once fell threw a glass awning that was over a ground floor door. I was just a foolish risk taking rookie. There were around 8 plates on both sides of a center beam with ribs between each plate. Standing with one foot on either side of the beam with a foot on a plate at the front…The foot on the right broke through and I started to cart-wheel .

If my body would of continued through I would of landed on my head but my arm broke through the second plate back from the one my foot broke through and the rib caught me in arm pit and my fall was stopped, and half my body was hanging through the awning. I ended up with no injuries, no scratches or bruises ! LUCKY after being stupid ! I took a overly stupid calculated risk and I survived, by the hand of GOD !!! I also fell off a 7 story building and survived, but that wasn’t ladder work !
[FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“3”]Thanks again Karlos ! [COLOR=“black”][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“#4b0082”]English Jon,

What I’m saying in the post your referring to, is that one should be able to be ambidextrous…To be able to use either hand when cleaning windows on a ladder so as not to have to reach from either side to clean a window with an opposing hand, this can throw you off balance.

I’m not talking switching tools in front of you, that is very simple to do, to switch your squeegee or your swab from your right to your left. I used to be able to pass my stuff behind me but the joints aren’t as flexible as they were in my youth !

You know having your knee or knees against the rung does help with balance when you go to 2P.O.contact, and it does help balance you when using a pole off a ladder,that being (using a pole) a very dangerous calculated risk (that I wouldn’t have rookies do unless under observation) but it can also cause one to over extend if not aware or being careless that they are now at 2P.O.contact. Having your knees balancing you are not a true P.O.-contact, it’s just helps with balancing !

Be Safe Yawl / Dangerous Dave[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[B][U][SIZE=“5”][FONT=“Fixedsys”][COLOR="#556b2f"]EXCELLENT LADDER SAFETY ARTICLE… [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/U][/B]

[B][I][COLOR=“navy”][FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“3”]HELLO YAWL…
This is an article I found on the internet while looking for good info to help build this thread. The man who wrote this, is highly attuned to ladder safety and it’s very, very obvious that the life and limb of people are a major concern of his.

It’s a bit lengthy but oh so educational, and spoken in laymen terms to help one to gather what is being said. Please read this, because it is about the lives of all those who risk their lives, doing ever present ladder work !

Dange…One who cares about fellow Window Cleaners ! [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]

Safe Ladder Management

By Barrett Miller, MEd,OHST

History

The Sinagua Indians farmed the lush Verde valley of northern Arizona about nine hundred years ago. To reach a limited water supply, they built village homes inside the lip of a collapsed limestone aquifer. Their community sat hundreds of feet above the floor of a high canyon.

A network of ladders connected family dwellings. They could be removed for defense. The ladder itself carried both a practical and ceremonial significance. The Sinagua people were master climbers. Centuries later their descendants, the Pueblo and the Navajo people, would pioneer the techniques used for climbing steel structures in skyscrapers. Occasionally, even Indian climbers died in falls.

Falls from heights are a safety problem in industry and in homes. At least three hundred people a year die in simple falls from ladders. Ladders account for about 100 thousand injuries each year. The distinction between ladder accidents and elevated fall accidents is blurred in accident statistics. We know the effect of falls. A person falling from any height will accelerate until he hits a fixed object. The results will depend on several variables, but, statistics show that in a fall of eleven feet or more, 50 percent of victims will die.

[COLOR=“red”]There are hundreds of specialized ladder applications and almost as many ways to get hurt.[/COLOR] Window washer’s ladders rest against the glass, and extension ladders designed to lean on overhead power lines. For at least two thousand years, climbers used three legged fruit picker’s ladders to harvest olives in Lebanon. There are even single beam ladders with rungs coming out of the side. Each ladder type has a specialized application.

[COLOR=“red”]An employer’s duty is to provide fall protection. Ladder use should be understood in this broader context.[/COLOR] It’s wrong to believe that a climbing tool, perfect in one situation, will automatically work in another. Your ladder may be too long or too short for the job. Its feet might not match the working surface. You may need to replace it in the middle of a job.[COLOR=“red”] Remember that elevated falls account for one third of industrial accidents, and half of fatal construction accidents.[/COLOR]

Ladder Accidents

The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that more than 90,000 people receive emergency room treatment for ladder accidents each year. Elevated fall accidents accounted for 661 deaths on the job in 1994. That is fourteen percent of total occupational death that year. In all, 111,300 persons were injured in elevated falls in 1994.[COLOR=“red”] A ladder can slide, tip, slip, or break.[/COLOR] It can also catapult a climber. Climbers are frequently hit by passing carts, cars and even trains. In some cases, federal codes require spotters and barricades. Ladders propped on top of another object to gain height or convenience often move. If the floor surface or the upper surface are slippery, the ladder may slide away from the climber. A weak leg can compress then act as a spring to catapult the climber.

Some people believe that ladder falls are always the fault of the victim. Many are blamed on a lack of common sense. OSHA research, on the other hand, concluded that 100% of ladder accidents might be eliminated with proper attention to the application of equipment, and the proper training of climbers. [COLOR=“red”]Human failure causes most ladder falls, but the preventable error is often administrative; not the fault of the victim.[/COLOR]

In one half the ladder accidents investigated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the worker carried materials in his hands as he climbed. This practice contributes to slips. Materials should be raised to the work station on a tether. In many accidents, either the ladder or worker slipped. A ladder should always have four point contact with the working surface, and pressure on each leg should be proportional. The climber must always maintain three points of contact with the ladder.[COLOR=“red”] Safe contact can be maintained with two feet and one hand. Weight is centered within the rails of the[/COLOR] [COLOR=“red”]ladder.[/COLOR] If the working surface is slippery or unstable, the worker must tie or strap the ladder to the rear surface at the top and bottom. These limitations make the ladder too restrictive in many applications.

Straight and extension ladders are legally called self-supporting and non-self-supporting ladders. These mass produced, tools exist in both a social and legal context. Our efforts here introduce these common ladders and the corporate responsibility for their use A ladder is a device used to gain safe access to a work station. Its secondary use, as a work station, is limited. Painters, line men, and many installers can use a ladder successfully.[COLOR=“red”] However, any job that requires the worker to reach outside the vertical rails or to manipulate equipment from the elevated workplace requires special [/COLOR][COLOR=“red”]consideration.[/COLOR] The example of Max, the X-ray technician, provides an example.

A Lesson From Max

Max used the center (fly) section of an extension ladder to reach the top of horizontal pressure tanks in a factory. The tank was twelve feet in diameter and forty feet long. The X-ray work had been done the same way for twenty-five years. Factory managers frequently used the fly section independently because it was light and portable. Its narrow base allowed access to the center of the tank.

This ladder did not have slip resistant feet. The working surface was concrete covered with flux and other welding byproducts. Sometimes the floor was slippery. Max found it impossible to secure the ladder to his satisfaction, but blocked it with dunnage he thought would work. He climbed about ten feet and began to move horizontally to the round surface of the tank. There, he would leave the ladder and work directly on the rounded surface of the tank. At the transition point, the bottom of the ladder kicked out. Max fell.

It is useful to look at the shortcomings that led to Max’s injury to find specific actions and inaction’s that contributed to this accident.

1. The fly section of the extension ladder did not have slip resistant feet. There are devices that widen the base of ladders; they might have worked here. Max used dunnage to block the ladder at base, but that was inadequate. Blocking is not a preferred technique. Strapping or lashing the ladder in place is better.

2. In spite of the repetitive process, no attachment points for ladders or personal restraint devices existed in the tank factory. They should be included.

3. This accident happened at the point where Max attempted to move from the ladder to the top of the tank. This part of the process was foolish. The BLS study showed that in one half of ladder accidents, falls happened as the climber attempted to move to a second surface. You cannot allow an employee to walk or work on the side of a rounded surface fourteen feet above the floor unless he uses personal protective equipment. The factory could have easily installed a horizontal steel cable to secure waist belts and lanyards.

If the job requires the worker to move more than twelve inches horizontally to a second work surface, he must be secured with a restraint. A ladder is a three-point device. If the climber cannot keep three limbs in contact with the ladder, maintain balance, and perform a work task, another device must be used as a work station.

1. Max felt that climbing in this factory was unsafe, but believed that if he refused to do the job as he found it, he would be replaced. Other employees felt the same way. We don’t know if the employer would fire Max for complaining, but his shared belief prevented corporate supervisors from getting information they needed.

Personal Protective Equipment

A NIOSH study classifies ladder falls into one of three broad categories. Accidents in which the wrong ladder was used to do a job. Accidents in which the ladder failed due to the physical condition of the ladder or the condition of its supporting surface. Accidents in which the ladder was improperly used. To this list of shortcomings, we add another. There are accidents in which the ladder was not the right tool for the job, and where it cannot be safely used without personal protective equipment. Several months after Max’s accident, the tank factory hired its first safety engineer.

In 1990, OSHA published a clarification for employers in the Federal Register. It explained the duty to provide fall protection and options available. Employers must provide a definable level of protection for employees working four feet or higher above the floor surface. If there is a vertical transition of more than eighteen inches, a step, stool or ladder or step must be used as a transition. There are few restrictions on the way fall protection is provided, but there is a concept we will call “equivalency,” to consider. Any method chosen must be as secure as the level of protection provided by a scaffold with two rails and toe board.

The use of personal protective equipment is an acceptable substitute for the security of a scaffold.[COLOR=“red”] In 1995, another interpretation expanded an employers responsibility to include the assessment of fall hazards and the duty to provide safe countermeasures. It also created the duty to train employees.[/COLOR]

Max found himself trapped in a crisis of “perceived accountability.” His immediate employer, saw himself as a supplier of skilled x-ray technicians. Schools provided Max with some safety training. Applications varied, so his employer relied on each factory contractor to train employees on specific job steps.

In most large factories, the step by step production management techniques define each job detail. Some factories even conduct time and motion studies to determine each movement of the worker’s body. This wasn’t true here. Max found himself in a factory that ignored most detailed production management functions.[SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“red”][B] The tank factory provided ladders and pointed to the job. The rest was up to Max.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Corporate Responsibility

Everyone knows that you can’t stand on the top of a step ladder. Apparently not. Several years ago, the building manager for a large insurance company called the author to his office. We were contractors in his building. The author was across town and didn’t arrive at once. The building manager was livid. Without a word he marched across the campus to another building. There, a ladder stood outside of the doors of a busy elevator. On the top cap, stood our installer. His head and shoulders were above the false ceiling. There was no spotter, no barricade, and the corridor was full of people. Our installer stood on the top the stepladder, asleep. His balance had been maintained by the light steel structure of the false ceiling. According to witnesses, our man napped on the ladder for an hour.

Fortunately, there was no accident. [B][COLOR=“red”]The worker’s behavior was stupid and reckless. Should he be fired? He might have been killed. There is a more painful question. Was the building manager less reckless, less negligent, or less stupid? How could he let a man continue to be at risk for a full hour when the situation placed the worker in immediate peril? If he was killed, would the plant manager have been less responsible than the worker that fell?[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=“red”]No corporation can ignore the dangerous behavior of vendor employees, or their lack of training. The duty to provide a safe workplace is not dependent on who provides the paycheck. To the degree you create a hazard, control it, or have the responsibility for correcting it, the duty to initiate safe practices is yours. In some situations, federal codes forbid you to delegate safety responsibility at all.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=“red”]You must have a formal program to provide fall protection. [/COLOR][/B]Corporate responsibilities begin with the choice of the tools for each job. If you use a repetitive process, conduct a survey of climbing jobs. Determine what type of ladder to use, and if a ladder is the right tool for the job. A survey includes an assessment of the need for personal restraint systems. It also includes the engineering of tie-off points at an elevated position when you need them.

The Competent Person

[B][COLOR=“red”]Employers now have the legal duty to inspect the site where his employees will work. This can be a shared responsibility. It affects you even if employees are working under the day to day supervision of a primary contractor. At least one competent person must understand the process. This employee must be able to identify hazardous or dangerous conditions and evaluate the risk of falls. You must train him[/COLOR][/B] to use personal protective equipment, including the selection of anchor points and application of personal restraint systems. If he doesn’t repair equipment himself, he should supervise a competent carpenter. He should know how to detect hidden defects. Ladders are a deceptively complex subject. He must have specific competencies in the purchase, inspection, and repair of ladders.

The careless purchase of a single ladder can kill a worker. The introduction of a ladder in a work site is important. Tom provides an example. Tom, who owns several businesses, purchased a stepladder for use on his construction business. He believed ladders were a simple subject. Tom chose a ladder by brand recognition and price. It cost about sixty dollars. Through ignorance, he had purchased a Type III household ladder with a maximum duty rating of 200 pounds with their equipment. . Some workers weighted up to three hundred pounds. Over time, carpenters dutifully nailed pieces back on the ladder when they fell off. He used the ladder in his construction business for three years.

The ladder became shaky and several carpenters complained. Tom moved it to a convenience store he owned, where it would be used occasionally. One evening, the disabled husband of an employee decided to help by vacuuming the air-conditioning ducts. By this time, the strength of the thin ladder leg had become so weak that it flexed easily, and functioned as a spring. The leg compressed under his load and as the climber shifted his weight, the leg kicked out and threw the climber to the floor. There was a serious injury, and an expensive law suit.

Everything from oil barrels to unused pallets are appropriated as work platforms. In most situations, a ladder is a better tool. But, a ladder can be as dangerous as any makeshift device.[B][COLOR=“red”] Typically, you remove a ladder from service before it breaks or becomes too shaky to use. Federal codes require a ladder inspection routine and the tag-out policy for suspected ladders.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=“red”]When the work of ten or more employees involves climbing, a single competent person should be responsible for a safe climbing safety. In small companies, this may be you. The purchase, inspection, repair, disposal, and training are all duties of a delegated specialist trained to recognize hazards and respond correctly.
[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=“red”]OSHA defines this competent person as:

“One who is capable of identifying existing and predictable hazards in the surroundings or working conditions which are unsanitary, hazardous, or dangerous to employees, and who, has authorization to take prompt corrective measures to eliminate them.”
[/COLOR][/B]

Choosing a Ladder

Ladders are disposable items. Their useful life depends on construction quality, conditions of use, care, and general history. Was the ladder exposed to the weather, or dropped? Are bends and twists serious enough to remove the ladder from service? [B][COLOR=“red”]An average employee should be trained to recognize a broken or shaky ladder, but a specially trained person is necessary.[/COLOR][/B]

What is a ladder’s ultimate strength? What is its usable height? What is its usable load specification. You should be aware that some ladders are fraudulently marked. Occasionally a company will provide instructions on a ladder that are incorrect or dangerous. Second we are concerned with its composition, and how expected use influences our choice. If one is going to use a ladder around electricity, and most will, it must be wooden or fiberglass.[COLOR=“red”][SIZE=“3”][B] Each ladder has limitations.[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Federal directives make employees responsible for complying with all equipment and practice standards found in national consensus standards. This is true even if you never have heard of the standards. Most ladders carry a seal certifying compliance with OSHA and ANSI standards. It is important to note that neither OSHA nor The American National Standards Institute tests or certifies ladders. The certification is from the manufacturer or his testing agency. Some manufacturers consistently produce nearly perfect products; others make inferior ladders, which are dangerous. Rejecting flawed products requires careful inspection. A certification is as good as the manufacturer’s quality control program on a given day.

Summary

In the past, each worker has had a relationship with his tools. In many cases, the apprentice’s first job was to build his tool box, then his ladder. For hundreds of years, workers made their own ladders and kept them repaired. Many lasted generations.

Modern ladders are mass-produced items with specifications limiting how they can be used. New laws and consensus standards apply to the exposing employer, and to the controlling employer on each work site. [B][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“red”]Employers have greater responsibilities.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [COLOR="#8b0000"][B]Among those, is the duty to inspect the job site where your employees will work. You are required to assess fall hazards and create ways to prevent falls. A competent, trained person is required to provide your training.[/B][/COLOR]

[B][SIZE=“4”][COLOR=“red”]Training and retraining is mandatory. All climber training will be carried out by a competent person who knows safe ladder practice and the proper way a ladder can be safely used in your production process. Training objectives are met by judging the skills a person should have at the end of the training, and the way both student and teacher demonstrate knowledge of the subject.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

In many plant settings, the use of a ladder is frequent and systematic. It is necessary to add anchor points to hold the ladder in place, or for attaching fall protection restraints. [B][COLOR=“red”]A competent person must be able to recognize the hazard and apply the correct solution.[/COLOR][/B]

Note: This work was originally published by the American Society of Safety Engineers.

[B][FONT=“Fixedsys”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“navy”] OOOOOOKAY, This article is with much wisdom. Lets remember yawl, ladder accidents can be devastating and life threatening. A person can be killed or permanently injured as a qurdraplegic, paraplegic, or a veggie and a veggie can be in that state for decades (KNOCK ON WOOD) ! We all need to THINK THINGS THROUGH, SAFETY FIRST !

DANGEROUS DAVE [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]