Ladder vs boom lift

Hello and good afternoon,

I have a huge 3 story retirement living facility next month and was wondering your thoughts on using a boom vs ladder. I completed a construction clean up when they first opened on the common ways and 8 models. This will be the first time I am going to be cleaning every single glass pane outside only.

1: 34ft ladder because of the architecture and having to get onto balconies
2: boom lift would help save time from the ladder work and I could also have an area to clean each screen.

Zacch Boyes
Z’s Window Cleaning
Office: (877) 978-0227
Email: [email protected]

I’d use a lift…no question. Ladder would be tough working around those sun visors.

Have you quoted for a lift?
If not can you bill the cost of the lift to the customer?
You just don’t really want the lift cost to cut into your profits, but the lift would make the job much easier and should save man hours.

I haven’t talked to the director about the cost of a lift. The boom lift I was looking at is 40ft to reach the glass in the front of the buildings.

The thing that worries me is the total is already at $5,700

Zacch Boyes
Z’s Window Cleaning

If this were my job, I would tackle it as follows…

Day 1(possibly 2 if there’s or of work): all glass not on a balcony done with wfp, have maintennance staff remove all screens prior to arrival so there is no issue. If you have to you can also sell it as you have them $ off the price because you didn’t have to remove screens, whether or not you take money off is up to you of course.

Day 2/3(or 3/4): all glass on balconies or the places wfp couldn’t get to.

I say to hit it this way because I have done this in the past and it worked very well with great results as far as time went. This works especially well if you have other staff, one person on the wfp hitting glass and 2 guys on ladders climbing over railings onto balconies.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts
Home
Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Spot on… I agree with this guy. It seems I am always agreeing with him…

I haven’t been at this long, 8 years, but I’ve done all kinds of different structures, homes, properties, blah blah blah…

I think too many people overthink bigger jobs like the one mentioned here and get stuck in a certain way of tackling larger jobs that all too often it doesn’t seem as easy as it actually is.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts
Home

I’m with you. We’ve been at it the same amount of time… You might be a better business man though… I’m fast as f)$@… But business wise I need some training…

I’ve been learning about business as I go, a lot of seeing what works in my market and making mistakes. Thankfully none have cost me too much money, at least nothing I would lose sleep over.

This forum has helped me a ton, mostly in book recommendations to read about running a business. I’ve been trying to put some structure into my business now. I’ve been making different forms and I’m doing a price guide to refer to instead of going off my memory in my head for pricing my services. I’ve been figuring out policies I want to implement that will help my business, right now my major policy is first time customers are all paid upon completion of services. I’ve only had one customer not ok with that policy and two weeks later they decided to book the job.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts
Home

I appreciate the info guys. But I am not into the WFP world yet. My company has only been up and running around 5 months and I am so grateful with my two handfuls of monthly accounts and 4 retirement centers keeping me busy.

To get back on track, I’m doing this by hand.

Also, I don’t mind the height or time issue because I’m solo. I was just trying to pick your brains to see or hear your ideas for in the future.

Another reason I’m not too sure about the boom cost is I will have to get a hotel as it is 130 miles from my home

My estimated job completion is 7 days @ 10hrs per day with my 32ft ladder

My last two story senior living I completed in 4 days with 570 glass panes including screen removal. Plus I could only be there for 6hrs per day

Zacch Boyes
Z’s Window Cleaning

Do what feels right for you. I might get a lift but if you want to ladder it go for it…

After a boom lift cost and hotel plus gas and food I’m down to $4,400. I understand it takes money to make money, but $5,000 for 7 days after my mini vacation is pretty sweet

Zacch Boyes
Z’s Window Cleaning

I’d be on that ladder then

A job like that I might come work for you.

I try to go after as many panes of glass in one building

Zacch Boyes
Z’s Window Cleaning

If you could pay me 70 per hour I might move out there

I could only afford you for two days per month :confused:

Zacch Boyes
Z’s Window Cleaning

If you really want to spend money to make money, then spend $1200 (or less) and get into wfp and do the job the way I recommend.

Doing it this way and the size job it is, I could do this in three 10/12 hour days maybe 4 days. Although a 32’ ladder with standoff is easily managed if you choose to go the ladder route.

I wouldn’t waste any money on a lift for this job, especially if the main benefit is “having a place to clean screens” brush them things off from your ladder, place the corner in a lower rung from where you’re working then clean that glass and re-install the screen.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts
Home

I would just ladder it. It looks like there are too many areas where you would be wasting time maneuvering the lift in and around everything. It is an assisted living place? If so then save yourself some time and energy and ask for a master key to access each unit. Play the safety card saying it is unsafe to jump balconies. This has always worked for me and cuts your time in half. Be sure to get a key because knocking on doors will only cause you headaches in the end.

Exactly!

Bravo :clap::clap::clap: