Listing Your Services

We present our estimates like this so that our customers have some options and we try to get them on a 6 month schedule . Spring interior & exterior , fall exterior only. This is based off of their preferences. Found that most of our clients are more willing to book twice per year based off of this cleaning schedule. Sometimes they will have us skip the screens and sills which is fine by us because it’s not included so we only clean them if they are paying for it.

2 Likes

That’s how I use to do it. I only started the packages this year. I know the saying “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” But I thought maybe packages might work better. You’ll never know if something works better until you try it.

2 Likes

Estimate.docx (28.4 KB)
This is the current form I use. I made it at beginning of the year. I’m thinking of changing it soon though to includes packages like you guys mention.

2 Likes

see that wouldn’t work here, I’ve done three thousand square foot houses with 40 panes and 3000 square foot houses with 100 panes

4 Likes

Ah yeah, our square footage pricing doesn’t include sunrooms or skylights. You can add separate add-on pricing for those in ResponsiBid. I understand that not everyone could go with the square footage pricing. It really worked for those we set our sights on. We target, or should say we did, the working professionals (the IT field, big corporate jobs, etc.) ages 35+ with big homes. The Denver area is seeing a major increase of these types move in. They don’t have time for setting up appointments for estimates or counting windows or taking photos. They want a price now and to get on the schedule as soon as possible.

I used to have each type of window we would come across. No one got the counts right or they would later tell me it was confusing. When I started to experiment square footage pricing; I had the options for customers to get a bid by exact type or square footage. Everyone selected to use square footage. It took some work to get the pricing down, and sometimes we’re like we could of made more. Overall it worked for us and will for the new owner.

I’m not trying to say our method was the best either; just giving our experience of what helped my wife and I to run a successful business.

4 Likes

Yeah our pricing would cover the higher count. Sometimes we would reduce the price or add extra stuff for free if the price was higher than it should be. I know some people that use Responsibid over the phone or website and give a square footage pricing for a rough estimate. When they get to the job they would do a count. We did that at first, but got the pricing dialed in and no longer did it.
The newer cookie cutter homes here in Denver/Aurora are built by the same builders. I have literally done so many homes that have the exact same layout. That’s why the square footage pricing worked for us.

3 Likes

Most of mine want in and out done at each service. Some are 4 times a year, and that is all in spring through fall.

I don’t add screens as a line item, it’s all included in the price. One less thing for people to object to. But I must add that when I am working up the quote, I ask if they want screens done too. I offer basic brushing and washing with an Aztec. Whatever they choose, it’s wrapped into the quote.

I probably do my quotes a bit different than most of the guys here too. I do a walk around and use a form. On the form I denote how many windows on each level, how many screens, ladder sets needed and where, and anything else I would want to keep in mind for the job. It’s then filed for the year it’s done. That way I can go back each year and look over the notes to familiarize myself with the job before I get there. I have enough work, I can’t even remember half the people I serviced the year before.

Whatever works best for each of us, is the best thing to do. If you find people trying to pick apart the price of screen cleaning (or whatever the line item is), just wrap it in the price.

5 Likes

This right here! Yes we have our different ways of running our businesses. I’m glad we are sharing our processes; it helps everyone in this little forum community.

5 Likes

I price by the gut on Resi. No frills. Nail $60 an hour just about every single time.

1 Like

That’s what I do too. I made one with excel and have it as a regular system in my sales process. Instead of ladder sets though I mark where any damages might be so I can bring it to the homeowners attention.

2 Likes

That’s why I love this forum. I’ve learned a lot from the Forum, and this thread in particular, to help run my business efficiently.

2 Likes

Mmm… I miss “in and out!”

1 Like

Hey Steve , so I’m a huge in n out guy. But you won’t believe that the best in n out burger that I have ever had is the one next to my home here in Vegas . Hard to believe but I’m not playing

1 Like

Was it wrapped in money? LOL. :moneybag:

Next time I down that way in Vegas we’ll have to hit it up brother!

1 Like

Absolutely

1 Like

Each side of the house has three lines on my form.
1 for the windows with enough extra space if I need to note something.
2 A line for screens and notes if I need.
3 A line just for notes. I put ladder sets and where in that space. Also a good space for notes about something like damage or windows with bad seals or staining.

At the end, is where I separate out my pricing for windows, screens, and “extra” (be it ladders sets, harwater removal, PIA fees or whatever).

At the bottom is a blank section for oddball stuff. Like spouse’s name, pets names, anything they said I need to remember, key codes for entry into empty homes or whatever. It’s a good place to track your time too. That helps a bunch with scheduling.

I think when you keep notes on things, it makes the client feel a lot better about hiring you. Seems more personal to them. Keeping notes helps me too.

2 Likes

That’s a good outline. I note all windows on different stories, frenchies, storms, and screens, and inserts. If I do gutters our house wash I note those dimensions. And like I said before any damages. Record, record, record. Good notesbwill help you in you business for later work or even if you go to sell it.

I agree. It lets them know you’re interested in them as a person and not a dollar. If they don’t feel that then they may not hire you.

2 Likes

Hi Alex. I like your idea of estimates based on sq footage and type of windows. I had heard that mentioned a couple yrs ago and started to monitor and see how it works. i estimate about 9 to 11 windows for every 1000 sq ft. Is your method similar?

@KISSMYGLASS I have heard of that as well. I’ve used my home as trial and error test until the pricing is right. In fact my home fits in that 9 to 11 range. Honestly, it was just trial and error until I felt the pricing was right. What I like about ResponsiBid is that you can adjust trip charges to whatever you want. If a certain town typically has houses that have more windows than others; you can just add it in to the trip fee (which is not seen by customer).