Little humbled today

So here is the scoop … I am a cabinetmaker and millworker … in 2016 there was a slowdown , and I ended up working for a property services company , and really took to doing windows… I ended up still cabinetmaking, but always wanted to do windows on the side , growing to full time .
My boss is retiring in 1 1/2 years, and I could take on the business, but it’s a lot of over head to manage.
I am 50 , and live near Vancouver , B.C…
Endof last summer , I got set up with equipment ( trad only ) and did a few friends houses for practise.
I was getting back into it , and felt pretty good…
Then I packed it all away for the winter, planning on getting going this spring …
Well , I am really rusty haha… a few more practise houses before I can charge I think haha…or at least be fast enough to make any money.
Ideally , my plan is to work 4 days Cabinetmaking ,and build a route for one day a week , and residential on saturdays … can also do a small res on route days, as I do not have any route work yet, and I expect it will only be a part day until I can build it …
I ended up doing ok with my results today.
Part of the problem is I got a modified excelerator and some super channels I never used before , so I am breaking it all in … and there is a bit of adjustment I getting used to them … anyways, I am excited for the upcoming season and getting my business off the ground !!
Along

1 Like

Egh a little practice and you will be fine! That’s cool you can do it on the side… It’s one of my favorite things about window cleaning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks… it was an ok day, it I thought I would get back into it a little quicker .
Also the windows where I live are older aluminum frame , with a very shallow frame … so easy to ride up on ….
The super channels were ok …. I got a 22” … never used anything bigger than 18” before haha… it’s a bit different .
The excelerator and fliq pad are totally new … I managed to pole a few small higher windows successfully after 20 tries per window …
when I worked for a company , we did mostly residential… ettore 14” brass 90 % of the time … so I’m trying to get accustomed to more lengths and handles … we didn’t do route… although we had some storefront/commercial that was once or twice a year… so nose to glass and not much pole work …. I’m confident I’ll be fine… I’m pretty good at cleaning windows, for the length of time I have done it … and I care …
It’s making sure I’m running a good business that is scarier haha…
I want to charge very well for my services, so I would rather practise and do free houses until I feel confident I am at that level than work too cheaply and tear down the biz…
Anyway, this forum is a treasure trove of information … thanks everyone