Low ballers in residential

I have said it time and time again, If I talk to 5 different window cleaners— I am getting 5 different prices and how it will be done. I do not view any of the 5 as “wrong” or “right”, as it is THEIR business and should not be a concern of mine. If people want the cheap work, they will get the cheap work. Sometimes “cheap” means— “You get what you pay for” and sometimes it is ----“A GREAT DEAL”-- All depends on the quality of your work and what the customer “feels” they received from you.

Good luck in the field, brother. The best part of this business is it is yours and free to do with what you will. Do heed the good advice from the posters here, but in the grand scheme of things you do what you feel is right. When it is all said and done, the fellas/ladies on this forum won’t be the one running your business. What works for Joe Blow may not apply to you. Some people want a way to pay the bills and live a life of minimal things, and some want 10 trucks on road-- Ultimately, it’s up to you. Choose wisely, you have but one life. The business will consume your spare time, you will make sacrifices that you will either benefit from or suffer from. Might as well make it worth it, right!!!

Good luck man, make sure you browse these forums as it will save you lots of time and you will gain knowledge. I have been cleaning windows for about 15 years, I still learn something new all the time. But I know one thing…I would leave the 5 month window cleaning “Me” in the dust. I think I would be on the third home by the time he was finishing 1. LOL

@Ron1 — Nothing wrong with what you are doing. People probably think I am a Bucket Bob…but I do love my bucket to put all my tools in…LOL!! Homer Buckets, baby!! I have seen both ends of the spectrum (Charging top dollar and “low balling” as they call it). I personally know 6 of the window cleaners in my area— 4 I have known since I was five years old in 1992. One I have met through here and another I always chat with if I run into him during my route work days. All of them love cleaning windows. All different pricing. None of them compete against one another. They can network and create more clean windows and happy customers. Not everyone is an enemy. Food for thought.

I am not some guru, I haven’t written any books and I have no products to sell you. All I know is that if you do the job the best to your ability and treat customers like you would your own family member…you’ve already won them over for life. They become extensions of your family, if they become frequent customers.

Maybe you run into them at the store, or they are waving at you passing by going into their community. You build off of that, you build off your reputation as someone who does quality work. Give 110 percent on each job, because if you are going to do it-- you do it good!! People see that, and go to themselves “Hey, this guy has it going on. I want my house to be taken care of by him”. Be on time. Be clean cut. Customer service is priority number one. Whether you are making 150 dollars a day or 1500-- Present yourself as you know what you are doing. Because you do, you’ve been doing this for years!! Now go clean some windows!!!

1 Like

Thank you. Great advice.

Since my initial post some time has gone by and I realized I needed to raise my prices. That is just what I did. I see what everyone has been telling me.

Thank you for taking me to school.

Respectfully,
Ron

I do chuckle a little on the forum. Some markets are not priced the same, it all depends on your location and the clients you seek.

I did my own about 6 years ago, had 40 customers in a little condo 55+ community. I was so happy I was doing my own jobs until I realized I was only making 30 to $40 an hour now back then I was just putting it in my pocket obviously because it wasn’t a lot but I gave it up and realize that I couldn’t satisfy these people and I couldn’t get what I wanted for pricing so I just changed my number and stopped. I felt bad leaving behind 40 or so customers but all the same I got caught in a bad situation I was doing first time cleans and not charging the time and a half for two times as much that I should have been on a standard one clean and they weren’t on every two month basis and at that rate I don’t want jobs that are doing it once a year to me it’s not worth it you need to be doing them 4 to 6 times a year bare minimum… that is called maintainace cleans and they are great. Set it up like route work.

Now I just work for a company and I work for three of my friends whenever I get slow and I keep busy I don’t really care to have my own business eventually I will but right now I’m just enjoying cleaning windows and going to work. I never set out to be a millionaire cleaning windows I could care less about any of that… pay my bills, pay my mortgage and have some left over. If I wanted to worry I’d go back to the corporate world that I left behind in 2006 lol.

To each their own, this is window cleaning…we are not doctors and nothing is life or death! It’s a luxury service that is not for everyone. I’m happy I’m 6 feet above the ground anything after that’s a bonus my friends

3 Likes

So stealing this lol