Making Dependable Money?

Been on the forum a while, mostly reading. Never really post any question.

But how does one make money in residential? I know it sounds like a broad question but let me explain. I used to own a lawn care company where I could see I was making x amount every single month no matter what. Kinda like cleaning storefront I think (correct me if I’m wrong) and how it’s route work.

But in residential Windows how does one count on making x amount per month? I’m just confused if one is only cleaning res Windows once maybe twice a year…then how do you actually know how much you’re going to make.

Thanks guys.

Simply put, you don’t know exactly how much you’ll make in residential. But once you have developed a strong sales funnel (google that), you can project how much you should be making for each month of the year. And once you’ve been established, you can rely on a certain percentage (hopefully the majority, if you’re doing it right) to schedule repeat service the following year or season. And you can create follow up systems to ensure as many as possible do reschedule.

Something that’s really helped us this year is having weekly and monthly sales goals (I can’t believe this is the first year I’ve really done this). Knowing that I want to schedule x$ amount of work every single week, helps me to stay on top of new leads and follow up with previous customers. Without a real goal in mind, it was very easy to just let the work come in as did, and slack off on the slower weeks. So far our sales this year are up about 30% over last year. And we’re shaping up to have a much stronger late fall season.

until you have been in business long enough to schedule repeat customers, you cannot budget resi income. I have enough customers that schedule 2X per year, to get on the holiday schedule, I can budget.

When have 2 busy seasons here. Every spring, from late February to May, we have yellow pollen that literally pumps out of the pines and oaks that covers everything with yellow dust. From March 10, to around May 10, we are booked multiple houses per day, per crew (3 trucks), 7 days per week.

From Halloween to Christmas, we are booked the same. We have about 120 customers who are booked spring and fall (that is 240 cleans) and that total increases every year.

Right now, my first open slot is December 9, in the afternoon. I have only a few slots left until Christmas. I have trained my resi customers that if they want Thanksgiving/holiday slots, they need a clean in the spring to get on the winter schedule

[MENTION=37363]JMR[/MENTION] How about you come up with a system based on your lawn care experience to create residential routes? I’d personally be interested in what your lawncare process was from sale and pricing to scheduling.

Depending on where your located, you might be able to replicate it with windows but the frequency might be doubled (instead of a 2 week lawns, it’ll be a 4 week windows).

That’s an option.

Jaylen Rheams

“Take it one day at a time.”

Sent from my iPhone

10 years into this game I still can’t tell you exactly what I am gonna make in June 2016. But I know if I do x amount of marketing, I’ll y amount of calls and I’ll close z amount of jobs. That and pulling from current clients I can relax and have faith in what I’ll pay myself, but by no means is for sure thing.

Definitely hard to plan for but every year it gets easier to forecast some baseline numbers.
Best thing you can do is live within your means and have extra money at the end of every month.
I had a painter just say to me “You have money left at the end of the month? You’re not human!” That one made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

that’s scary to hear a business owner say lol!

…Well, it was a painter…

Exactly.

We’re talking about someone who would horizontally fully spray two windows

• just to paint the one inch vertical divider between them.

Once you find your limitations, i.e. how much work you can physically handle in a day/week/month, you can more or less ballpark your income.

Marketing is more important than planning earnings. We are blessed to be in a position where the phone steadily rings in our busy months, so I can usually ballpark within $1000 what we will bring in per month. May and June are wildcards, as we enable congestion pricing, but everything else is predictable.

Year 1: All sales are "New."
Year 2: Record New (this year) sales separate from “Previous/current” (last years “New.”)

Now the fun begins…
Take “New” and subtract from whole.
That’s growth.

“Previous” should keep going up each year, as you are adding each year.
(= Cust retention- FIND OUT THAT PERCENTAGE)

Years 3 and 4 do the same.

Average percentage of “New” and Retention
(plus or minus for increase/decreased advertising)
And you have your simple forecast. :slight_smile:

Do this on a monthly basis… all the better!

You huff paint all day, you could easily end up living in a van down by the river.

Hey guys, I am as new as you can get & stoked to have found this forum!
Why not ask the customer to sign an agreement (saying You’ll be back once every quarter for x$) in exchange for a small %discount?
I assume roughly 120 agreements would be a year worth of residential work?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Definitely one of the greatest SNL skits ever.

That’s sort of the idea, but it depends on where you’re located. Most people are only good for 2x per year. But I’m good for a 20% discount if I can get them once a quarter.

This is my first year in business and I’ve picked up probably 20 or so quarterly customers it’s given me an expectation, along with my monthly commercial customers, of about $1200 to $1,500 of income per month even during the winter which is a lot better than where I started which was 0 per month

Sent from my XT1254 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Math phsss

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resourceyryx

Yeah, if I wanted to do math and schtuff, I wouldn’t of ditched skool.