March Contest: Best Tool Modification

Want a chance to win a $200 shopping spree on WCR’s dime?

Here’s how you enter:

[B]Post a video of your best-most original tool modification in this thread.

Can’t post a video? No worries. Post step by step pictures with some basic instructions. [/B]

We will pick a winner on Monday, April 2nd.

Good luck to all who enter. I am excited to see what kind of cool stuff everyone comes up with.

One of my favorite tools to have on my belt is the short pole. Here’s how I make it work for window cleaning -

//youtu.be/z5K63WQOIiM

[URL=“water fed pole jets - YouTube”]<object style=“height: 390px; width: 640px”>

<embed src=“water fed pole jets - YouTube” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowfullscreen=“true” allowScriptAccess=“always” width=“640” height=“360”></object>

Nice mod Paul.

Nice guys keep em coming!

You all know I,ve done some mods in the past but I want to show something new. I’ve had a couple of ideas running through my brain so I’ll see if I can rig them up.

I was hoping you would enter Mark…

I’m sure I’m going to modify a “tool” this season but don’t have a picture yet :slight_smile:

</SPAN>[SIZE=5]
[SIZE=4]There are other quick release tips / cones.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=4]

However they are limited to what sort of tools that would fit.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=4]

Different scrubbers, squeegees, brushes, goose necks for your WFP, angle adaptors and many other tools.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=4]

So if you make a quick release tip for your pole that fits a standard size.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=4]

In this case 32 mm electrical conduit.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=4]

Then you have a quick release tip, you can use on what ever tool you want on a pole.[/SIZE]</SPAN>[SIZE=4]

[/SIZE]Quick Release Locking Tip for Handles and Water Fed Pole

//youtu.be/kfPg9zUgEqw

[/SIZE]

Herman good stuff !

Once again, nice Herman, very nice.

These are great guys! - Please keep them coming.

Posted mine here: http://windowcleaner.com/vBulletin/wc-equipment-vehicle-setups/18854-unger-boab-eating-rubber.html
Rubber saver!

Oh & another thing which I’m sure I’ve posted before. Those that don’t like the tilt on buckets can make another mod’. Drill a hole through the fabric of the belt loop & the bucket in the top left or right hand corner & put a cable tie in there. Then when you kneel down, all the water doesn’t spill over your leg or the floor.

I hated how wide the fixi-clamp was. It was really hard to use it at angles. I mean, the thing wasn’t even designed to hold towels (it was designed to hold a sponge). It’s a pretty crappy design for that IMO. Cutting off the excess side waste will give you a much leaner and more versatile clamp. Myself, If I designed this product, I would use aircraft grade aluminum (like the ledger is constructed of). You could even have a spring loaded clamp. Like a larger version of the pulex and unger quick release squeegees with the spring button/jaws on the back. This tool could be designed so much better. I would be willing to pay $50 for a high quality aircraft grade aluminum one. Unger and ettore are dropping the ball on this one. Maybe wagtail will have to be the company that innovates a better clamp for window cleaners.

Thats awesome!

I remove the string from the bottom of the Pulex blue BOAB, then cut off that little tab on the bottom. Then the bottom is flat so you can take it off and set it down on the ground, porch, or wherever. (Though I don’t recommend standing it up and leaving it alone inside the home!)

You know I’ve seen Mark Unger floating around the WCR forums from time to time. Maybe he’ll see this post and step up. :wink:

Okay I’ve seen some pretty good mods so far so I had to step up my game.
[video=youtube_share;AUa3EiMZBdg]Triple Threat Squeegee Modification - YouTube

[SIZE=4]Here is one that can also be used to modify other handles.

[SIZE=5]Old Ettore Quick Release Handle Modified
[/SIZE]
//youtu.be/hKdTl-TsX10

[/SIZE]

Triple Threat Squeegee. I want one. Mark, you didn’t modify a tool, you pretty much created a whole new tool. You should get $400 in tools from WCR - of course you may not need them because you would be making your own tools soon! I mean seriously, a lot of probably have really good tool ideas. I think the window cleaning tool industry could use a lot of new ideas.

Look at the wagtail. A regular guy, a window cleaner for 30 years, though about how to make a more ergonomic squeegee. Made a few prototypes and then found someone in manufacturing to fine tune the designs. I’ve seen it on shark tank a bunch of times. All you need is the idea, the rest can be bought.

Find a student in an industrial design program (go to an engineering school and post an ad for an industrial designer - someone who knows how to design in, and program on a cnc machine. A desperate student who needs money and has to do class projects will probably work for pretty cheap. Just put an ad on all the bulletin boards at a local polytech school.

Then market your product directly on WCR where it will spread like wildfire. I’ve read quite a few articles that suggest the era of micro-manufacturing is here. With the mass proliferation of computer-aided machinery, it is easier and easier for smaller companies to manufacture products.

I read a recent article about a guy who made a good living making just the outer chain-ring for bicycles. He used a really good stainless steel alloy and just machined them out himself with a cnc. Sold them for, something like, $800 apiece. Very doable, guys.

Think how much better products are when they come from the operators themselves. I think the window cleaning technology has gotten better out there (indoor water fed pole system!) but it is nowhere near as good as it could be. There’s always room for improvement.