March Contest: Best Tool Modification

I took a standard Ettore brass channel and cut it down to 2 1/2 inches, then filed the edges smooth. Then I drilled a 1/4 hole on one end, stuffed a fresh rubber in there and now I have a nice lil’ keychain for my truck keys. It comes in handy in the morning if my mirrors are fogged up on the truck and serves as a great conversation piece. It has been pulled out from time to time on a small light fixture or really tiny french windows. If I only had a small handle to go with it…

[SIZE=4]This one has the same modification on the handle as the ettore quick release.

It can be put on any other squeegee handle the same way.

[SIZE=5]Wagtail Whirlwind Squeegee Handle Modification

//youtu.be/YQDgtur8ui8
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I use my small 6" as a business card holder.

Check out the big one on my facebook page: Window Cleaning Resource | Florida NY

Squeegee scrub

[video=youtube_share;dUXF2wNktBs]- YouTube

another design would allow your hand ( the palm ) to go over the end of the squeegee and the scrubber part would be attached at the bottom of the handle at the end away from touching your squeegeeing hand…

A few more days on this contest.

//youtu.be/scs_eZCba_w

Dave looks like your video is set to private… Can you make it public?

This is my modified EZ Pure system, before they had the one on the cart. Who needs a modified squeegee when you have one of these! It’s in a large Stanley toolbox with wheels and a handle so it moves around pretty good. Drilled holes in the bottom of the box and the tool tray for drainage, ran the inlet, outlet, and the wastegate through some larger holes I drilled in the side. Extra wastegate hose gets attached to the side with a pipe fastener when not in use. Used the tray included in the toolbox to hold the pump, extra brushes, tds meter. Velcro’d the tool tray to the top of the filters and stuffed packing material around sides to keep it from sliding around. Mounted the EZ Pure hose reel to the top of the box w/ some u shaped pipe fasteners (couldn’t get that picture to load). Ran some extra plumbing from the outlet to the hose reel, enough that the connection doesn’t have to be undone everytime I need to open the box. Box works great b/c it holds everything except for the poles. Just run the 100’ power cord out the top of the box, close the lid, and clean windows! Locks up at night and gets chained to the ladder rack in the back of the Ranger.

A window cleaner at last year’s MWCC did the same w/ his.

Don’t burst my bubble, I wasn’t there and this seemed like an awesome idea. It must be if more than one person is doing it. I’ve posted this before in another ez pure thread a while back.

Be careful Phil is going to yell at you for stealing his box idea… :slight_smile:

It is a neat idea though… I saw one the other day that someone is mounting on the inside of a larger truck box… That was pretty cool to.

Who knows since imitation is the most sincere form of flattery he might appreciate that others see the value in doing what he did.

I know this has been discussed before. I made this around 2007.

Here are some pics - http://www.nationalwindowcleaningdirectory.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2646&highlight=homemade+winmate

<iframe src=“YouTube” allowfullscreen=“” frameborder=“0” height=“315” width=“420”></iframe>

Here are a few things you might find helpful.

//youtu.be/ZkzbfO71pd8

Thank you,
Wayne

I’ll throw my hat in the ring. I had shown this to Jim F. of J.R. and he commented that I should put a patent on this quick, while taking about 20 pictures. I don’t care for lawyer fees, but I’ll take $200!

The Problem:
Working in small or tight areas is inconvenient when you have to keep your brush on a pole that’s 4’ or longer. Sliding doors or other lower work can be difficult when having to use a pole. To remove a threaded brush takes time and is uncomfortable to hold or work with.

The Solution:
Create a wfp brush that has a quick release handle and is ergonomic to hold.

How:
I took a brush with a removable adapter, screwed on an ettore brass squeegee handle (flipped, with clamp removed). The pole has an ettore adapter installed that is epoxied and secured in place.

The Benefit:
The benefits are to have a quick-release brush head that is comfortable to hold while working and allow you to remove the head easily when you need to work in tight spaces. You can put it on an 8’ ettore pole and do 1 story work easily with a light-weight setup. Also, by putting an ettore adapter with an acme thread and quick-release button on your cfp, it makes your cfp more versatile for wfp work and you can even put a gutter scoop on the end allowing you to reach 30+ of gutter with a light-weight pole (no more skinning work!)

//youtu.be/KXt_6-x4GpQ

Nice work mate. What do you do about the hose? Do you just pull a little extra through? Enlighten us.

If you’re referring to me… :slight_smile:

I keep the hose outside of the pole and hold it at the base while I’m working. It also works to “spin” the pole and have the hose coil around it.

It would be possible to put a hole in at the tip and run it through, but the way I control the flow is with a small ball-valve in the middle of a 30’ stretch of 3/8"OD tubing. So that ball-valve is at different heights when the pole is extended. At 15’ from the brush, the valve control is usually within easy reach to turn off the water when needed.

I guess this wouldn’t work in conjunction with the aqua-dapter…or would it?

Okay, I am upping my huck/scrim clamping game. For those of you who thought my fixi-clamp modification was useful, I think you’ll like this one even better. The main drawback to the fixi-clamp was the width which didn’t allow you to get the cloth into the corners especially if you are obstructed and can’t stand directly under the window.

I thought that trimming the sides would make this a perfect tool, but, alas it still had drawbacks. The main one being that it was time consuming to twist the gear mechanism several times to loosen the clamp and then twist, twist, twist to tighten it back up when you put a new towel in it.

My new invention fixes that. You can open it one handed in half a second. Spring loaded, baby! Really speeds up the process of swapping out a rag. I used an old ettore handle, cut off the head and welded a simple spring clamp to it. Viola! Rugged as heck, holds the rag very securely too. Much better, in fact, than the fixi-clamp. Plus it pops onto the pole much faster. The fixi-clamp would often fall off the pole when I used it in the past.

This is an invention that can be used daily by storefront guys. I don’t know why no one makes this.

Clamp a pair of vise grips to that little guy and youll be good to go.