Marvin Window Film

I have a distributor for Marvin windows that is paying me to clean a customers windows that has a “film” of some sort on them. They really don’t know what it is. The customer hired fishsticks to clean the windows but they didnt get it all off.

Has anyone had any similar experience with Marvins?

1 Like

Is it the film that protects the windows when they are shipped?

I dont think so, havent seen it yet though. I think the distributor has gone out to look at it, they didnt address it as such. They said they werent sure, and said maybe silicone.

One must question when the distributor doesn’t know his own product :stuck_out_tongue:

I do a ton of marvin windows, including lots of ccu work.

I’ve seen a strange phenomenon with marvin glass that may be what’s going on here. the glass looks like it has dried solution on it. imagine wiping glass with a fairly damp microfiber and then just letting it dry. that’s how this residue looks. however, it doesn’t come off.

you can scrape it off with varying degrees of success, but marvin glass is typically of poor quality so that’s not usually an option. no chemical or solvent i’ve tried will take it off and steel wool doesn’t touch it.

i’ve seen this on lot’s of marvin windows, always divided lights. i’ve never seen it from any other manufacturer. my only guess as to what it is this: some sort of cleaning solution gets distributed on the glass before tempering. it’s not getting fully rinsed off on marvin’s glass. the glass enters the furnace with some of this solution still on it. the tempering process bakes the solution into the glass, similar to the way fabricating debris gets baked in.

i don’t know if the above is even possible, but it’s my best theory. maybe [MENTION=14804]Gary Mauer[/MENTION] can weigh in on this?

after you get a look at it, report back and let us know what it is. i’m curious if it’s the same issue i’m talking about.

1 Like

Will do

I dunno, but that doesn’t seem likely.

It is fair to ask a customer to what it is. (And to tell them it’s not normal.)
It is their problem, after all, so there’s no reason you should be the only one wracking your brain.

Not sure if its the same as window tinting, but I use a window tinting guy to remove my tint when needed. He uses a wall paper steamer designed to remove wall paper, and it doesn’t take long to do it either. Home depot and some of the other rental places rents this machine, but I found it was easier to just sub him out and take a markup. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Marvin’s quality control has seemed almost non-existent lately. They have really nice hardware, but the glass is awful. Covered in silicone, prone to FD, and sometimes clarity issues between the panes, like streaks, smearing, and a filmy haze. Not to mention the oxidized low-e picture windows I’ve come across. I cringe everytime I see Marvin windows in a new client’s home.

If you ever come across a film/haze that just isn’t coming off, take a real close look at the glass and see if it isn’t between the panes. It appears that they’ve been assembling some of the IGU’s without cleaning them properly first.

1 Like

yes . . . . .
I usually forget about the film because I’m so mad at the painters for the shoddy masking they did…

n/c I blade most glass, scrub the nasty with whitepad/wool. sometimes I have to remove the plastic protective film myself.

the leftover ‘film’ is a pain, I’ve seen the ‘leopard print shadows’ show up a year later on the sunny windows. (same thing as ‘phantom stickers’ on milguards that have had the factory stickers left on in the sun too long.)

I can get em clean but, that film stays embedded in the glass.

I’d like to know how to get rid of the film myself…

~Jimmy~

what i’m referring to isn’t actually film. it’s a residue of some sort. some manufacturers, like eagle windows, are shipping their window with protective plastic on the glass. this is a great idea and makes ccu’s a snap. i don’t know why more companies aren’t doing it.

as to marvin’s issues, i totally agree with [MENTION=3471]Alex Lacey[/MENTION]. if you ever want to have a good time, call their customer service and ask for advice on how to remove their plastic stickers after they start to delaminate on the glass… it’s hilarious and you can get them to start talking in circles:

“just use warm water, mild soap and a soft cotton towel”
“uh, i’m trying to remove a [I]plastic[/I] sticker. last i checked plastic is waterproof”
“oh, well they should just peel off…”
“well, they don’t. they are delaminating and leaving glue and sticker bits all over the glass”
“you can try a mild solvent, like fingernail polish remover”
“that won’t penetrate the plastic sticker. I’ve tried it”
“ok, well if you must, you can use a plastic scraper to remove the residue”
“a plastic scraper is too dull, it won’t get under the sticker. i’ve tried it”
"…hmmm, well they should just peel off…"
“well, they don’t”
“well, as a last resort you may use a one-inch razor blade to remove the residue, but you must be careful and Marvin is not responsible for any scratches created by using this method.”
“why would the glass scratch from a razor blade? why won’t you cover a scratch under your warranty?”
…CLICK…

it’s funny, this is pretty much word-for-word what I tell customers and builders when they ask me what I think of marvin windows.

1 Like

I think its all a big plot by this guy to destroy the earth…

Ok here is the deal. Finished up that job. Here is what I noticed.

The windows that had the lease amount of silicon cleaned around the frames of the panes had more of this residue than any of them. Windows that weren’t cleaned up around the edge as much, or at all, didn’t have the film at all.

My theory,
The solvent that they used to clean up glass at the manufacturer broke down the silicon and they smeared it around with a rag, leaving behind a residue smeared across the glass. It came off with steel wool but it smudged a bit.

Ran into this again yesterday. I was able to remove it fairly easily on the exterior using oil flo, then following it up with a waterfed pole. The interior required steel wool.
You can see it a little bit in this pic. The sun caught it just right so you could see it on the edge, but it was all over the glass. Every pane.

Yes! We installed 9 transom fixed double pane windows and all of them have a light great haze on them that was revealed when we pulled the stickers at the end of the build. We tried every kind of solvent, soap, magic eraser, you name it. The Marvin rep came out and said they want to take one of the panes back to the actors for testing. My hunch, after reading the other posts on this quorum, is that Marvin is aware of this problem and it probably started during the covid lockdowns with quality control and a kink in the process somewhere along the way. The windows don’t have grilles and they are not tempered. See photos below. I’d like to get more info from anyone else that has seen this on Marvin Double Pane Windows so that we can bring this to their attention. As a builder in Michigan we install hundreds of Marvins every year, so we want to know what’s happening and how to fix it before the next $75k window package is ordered.

This is where we are right now with Marvin. Theorizing about what this could be. I like your thought process about two solvents a cleaner and the silicone blending and destabilizing the silicone. If you had luck with steel wool, that’s the only thing (besides a steamer) we haven’t tried before we have Marvin pull and replace all of those windows. Not an easy take with drywall reruns and 14’ above the floor!

We are in this process with Marvin now but it’s on the outside of the glass, inside the house. We didn’t notice it until we pulled the stickers off.

following this a I have a ccu coming up with Marvin glass. I haven’t seen it yet but the builder said that’s what they are putting in in next 2 weeks then I’ll go look at it. about 150 windows. I may need to order some extra oil Flo and bronze wool…?

We have a similar issues with our new windows. Builder had film on them for less than a year. South facing windows are baked in the sun. Removed film in colder weather in TN.
We had Marvin for 25 years in MN. Never saw this kind of mottling before. When water hits the windows it travels around certain areas suggesting there is still adhesive. We even have palm prints on certain windows.
We tried every solvent you can imagine and lots of elbow grease. You can work on one area for an hour and the irregularity won’t go away, including the palm prints.
We have reached out to the rep but waiting for a response. We too had them manufactured in 2020. There is definitely something wrong. The condensation in the mornings really shows it. January2021