Mid rise price discussion

I wanted to throw this out with hopes of helping and learning some of the aspects of pricing simple large midrise buildings. Below, is how I came up with price of a midrise building.

I’ve figured out pricing quite well in terms of residential aspects and some small commercial midrises and have been fortunate to turn a pretty good profit with using ‘ladders’ and boom lifts. However, I’m turning to wfp which will only help me turn up a larger profit.

I’m currently going through a bidding process on a large shopping center/with 2nd floor executive office suites. The customer wants us to do only the 2nd floor exterior windows.

The windows are fairly easy to get to via wfp or even a boom lift. No objects are in the way to make this difficult to do. All the panes are the same…4x4. The panes are between 25 and 48 feet high. There’s appx 600 panes.

Here’s the deal. In the past I’ve learned how to price residential windows pane by pane by figuring out how much I want to be making per hour. Also, I’ve seen other competitors old bids that customers have given me(don’t tell the ethics police). Okay, since I’m going to be doing only 25ft to 48ft work and there is some risk for doing wfp and boom lifts. I’m thinking of going around a neighborhood of $100-/$125 per hour per person. I’m thinking it might take approx 3 minutes per pane. (that might be a little to long per pane in terms of actual cleaning) If there are 600 panes, It would take one person about 30 hours to complete the job. This job would cost around $3000.

I would be tacking on top of the $3000 what it costs to run the wfp and set up time. I’d probably put that in the per pane cost. This may end up being around $3250 to $3500. I’m contemplating on adding another $500 for un-for-seen costs.

When I use the boom lift I tack on a variable charge per day for the rental just in case It takes longer. Also, I tack on moving charge around the site because that sometimes takes a while. This would probably be another $1000 bucks.

I believe I’ve already hooked(hopefully) them with my presentation when we met. When it comes down to it, relatively no price is too high if you can real them in!

I understand there are a lot of variables that go into midrise stuff but I just wanted to see opinions on pricing on a midrise building. Is the pricing for this potentially profitable or not. Are there other cost on the site? (I know there’s gas/travel and that kind of stuff)

Given everything you described and the charges, your price seems to be on the mark for what I would bid on a job that size. Almost exactly. The only variable that would change ours would be the lift rental but using prices we’ve been quoted in the past from our rental outfit for similar jobs, it comes really close. So, you seem to have a good grasp of it and should stick with the model you are using.

Thanks for the response Sean! I think the toughest thing about boom lifts are when there are objects in the way for us to clean or to move the lift. I’d try and add on $$ when I see some of this stuff. Clearly, Its something you can’t really teach texbook wise.
Using a wfp should eliminate some of these obstacles. I’m going to be interested in seeing how the wfp works, quality wise and speed wise.

No problem! The wfp definitely will eliminate some of the obstacles associated with lifts on job sites. Quality is great and the speed compared to using/moving a lift or ladder around is usually unmatched. I know Chris had mentioned in another thread how we use United Rental. What’s great about them is they send someone to the job site to assess it and then tell us what lift we will need to complete the job in the easiest fashion. Very helpful when we absolutely need a lift!!