My Area in Ohio: Small/Medium Sized towns. No competition on most

I’m not sure either but it sounded good last night.

Well, my boss gave me permission to clean on the side. Whoo! What should be my first steps? I’ve read a lot on this forum, just wondering what the absolute most effective course is.

Are you going to focus on residential or routework?

1 Insurance
2 Dba
3 business account
4 flyers flyers everywhere
5 business cards

4 Likes

@Fredled
Number 4 should be number 1…

Non stop distribution! Will generate fantastic results.

1 flyers flyers
2 insurance
3 dba
4 bank account
5 flyers flyers everywhere
6 business cards

Oh and more flyers! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yep. He didn’t give me permission so much as inform me that I was actually allowed outside a 20 mile radius.
So, my first priority will be flyers and business cards. I have an aunt who’s good with marketing. Perhaps she’d have some pointers.

Make sure you follow through on the legal framework before you do anything. It’s a pain at the outset but it makes you legitimate.

1 Like

What are you referring to specifically? I assume you mean insurance, tax structure, and business license?

Also, what is dba?

1 Like

Exactly.

DBA is Doing Business As. This is like a pen name for your business. You could be legally incorporated as “Acme Services Inc” and do business as Acme Window Cleaning. Then legally you may paste Acme Window Cleaning all over your van and use that name for your bank accounts and stuff.

1 Like

Legal legwork before marketing materials means you can put “Licensed & Insured” on your fliers and cards. Right off the bat, that separates you from all the fly-by-night operators working for beer money.

Would I need to be licensed in my hom county, or the city I do business in?

I know this has been asked before, but what insurance do you guys use? I don’t have a lot to spend on it currently. Ugh.

This ^.

In regards to insurance who ever you go with with make sure you get Care Custody & Control coverage… check out this thread…

http://windowcleaner.com/t/do-you-have-care-custody-control-coverage/27427

Hope this helps…