My First Residential Home

I could possibly be getting my first residential home sometime this week. My question is about the pricing. The house has 18 pella hung windows, 1 single french door, and 1 double french door. It will be a construction clean-up. I have estimated my price to be $159. Is that a decent price or should I go higher or lower. Any input is welcome

What style of Pella Windows? Are they Designer series? If so you’ll need to charge alot more. Some are just clip out panels but the newer designer series are best described as being designed by the Marquis De Sade! Awful big headache.

I believe they are the Centera series windows by pella

Does this mean you’ve completed non-residential construction cleanup service already?

You have all necessary equipment and chemicals, know processes required for successful completion, have educated your customer regarding fabricating debris, and have a signed heat-treated glass waiver in hand?

Any removable panels to deal w/ on those?

I spoke with the customer today about cleaning the windows. I told them that i will give them a call tomorrow with an estimated price. All papers concerning heat treated glass, fabricating debris, etc will be signed before i begin any work. Also i have not done CCU but i have studied enough on the web to know what is involved.

Also the only thing that will removable things to deal with are screens.

CCU is not for the feint of heart (you’ll see that posted here and elsewhere), but those of us who perform this service had to start somewhere, too.

Which web resources have you studied? What equipment and chemicals do you own? Is it a wood, stucco, vinyl or other type of structure?

[B][CENTER][SIZE=“5”]$250.00[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B]

Last week I did a single story home CCU with 18 windows and a frenchie.

$250.00 is what I charged. They even paid within 48hrs.

WoW

Never had a builder actually pay before.:wink:

Beside the CCU process, the issue with the Pella windows I’ve run into is this. Some styles are two sheets of glass held in a single frame, but the inside sheet of glass can be opened up so you have four surfaces to clean for every frame. Some of these open easily and come out completely. Some are hinged and come out a little harder. Some are hinged with a cord stop at the top to keep you from opening the window too far. What ever kind they are, I don’t like them and I charge a premium to deal with them. If the customer will pay the premium, then I like them like any other job that pays well. Charge appropriately. Just make sure you are watching your quality real close. If you leave smears or drips between sheets of glass, it’s double the work of normal touch up work.

Eric

The owner of the new home has decided to remove the “stickers” and “paint/mud debris” himself. While I still will only be doing light scrapping. The windows where kept protected fairly during construction. I have bid the job at $179, do to be completed within the next 2 1/2 weeks, waiting for the carpenters to complete the cabinets.

You got to start somewhere, so take your time, do an excellent job and walk away with as much money as you can, but take it like paid training. If you worry to much about $$$ at the beggining you’ll be adding much pressure to yourself on top of the one for being new to the trade ( if you are).

Just real life advice.

I really like your advice. I never looked at it as “Paid Training” i’ll really take that into concideration

one thing you might want to go over with them is the sticker removal. I had a job long time ago where the owner removed all the “hard stuff”. well he used dry razor for the stickers and stucco and sand paper for the glue and silicone. you guess he scratched the **** out of his new windows. the only reason I say this is to cover your rear. You never know what has been done to the windows until you start cleaning. sawdust and other construction dirt can hide small scratches unseen until you clean the glass. waiver it up! I carry two waivers one heat treated glass and one that states I am not responsible for the bonehead who scratched and removed the stickers and stucco before me.

CCU can get overwhelming if you are not accustom to it. If you feel things are not going smooth for you take a break. 5 mins goes a long way. remember this can be either the most rewarding job or the biggest headache. When you do good you will have a customer for life!

Good luck!!

Obviously, you’ll still need a signed waiver. The owner may well scratch glass himself (and you don’t want to be blamed), and even “light scrapping” [sic] puts you at risk if defective glass (with excessive fabricating debris present) is installed.

I’ve heard Pella uses something in manufacturing the precludes any cleaner with any amonia for first clean. What do you folks know about this?

Eric