My First WFP

Well, I finally did it. Because I wanted to enter cautiously, I am starting with a dual tank DI system and the Unger HI-FLO pole adapter. After all, I got poles aplenty.

This Tuesday I did my very first job. It got mixed results. Some windows still streaked. Redid them conventionally cuz it was getting dark. End of day, my TDS meeter still said 0.

Next day, did another house. This time I washed the area above the windows, too, and rinsed very thoroughly. Looked great, customer happy. End of day, TDS at 0.

Next day, did two small houses. No problem. Did a solarium on one. Great job. TDS at end of day, 5.

Next day, did a house and the TDS went from 5-78 after just 20 windows. Still looked great, but the TDS meeter alarmed me. Went to another house, same number of windows. TDS meeter was at 57 the whole time. Needless to say, I am changing the resin this weekend.

At a cost of about $100 to refill these cartridges, what do you recommend I do to get more mileage out of this system? Some sort of pre-filter to put on the inlet?

Here’s the system I bought:

[B]competitors link deleted[/B] - Don bought a simple 2 tanks di cart

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. :slight_smile:

Don,

What is your average tds from the tap? Seems to me a dual DI should last much longer b
ut I’m not sure what you are using.

Hi Don. E-mail me.
David Tyndale-Superior Shine
[email protected]

Don you are probably looking at a couple of differnt things here:

1. a technique issue
  2. its possible the resin is spent

Whats the tds out of your tap normally? Like if you went and tested it right now.

According to our local utility, it’s 200.

GRu tells me it’s 200, but I don’t have the means to test it on my own faucet. I have watched a lot of WFP videos, and it seems like everyone drowns the windows to rinse off everything. That’s what I’m doing.

You could have found a home w/ exceptionally high TDS on one of those jobs which could have spent your tank much faster. A handheld TDS meter will allow you to check each job first so you can get a better idea of how long the resin will last.
Chris - Send Don a handheld TDS meter on me!

Hey Don,
The trick to cleaning windows in a high TDS area with a DI system is water conservation.

I use the backpack method with small European jets on my brush, 5/64. I can do about 10 double hung windows with four gallons of water.

PS
I used an Unger 30ft TelePlus window washer’s pole for all my WFP work for years. Now I own a 30ft. carbon fiber Gardiner SL-X pole. Wish I got it sooner. That Unger pole is a lot harder to work with.

Sure Tony you got it! - I would just confirm with DOn that his unit doesn’t have on? I believe it does… Do you think its maybe malfunctioning?

Email me once you research Tony and Ill make it happen.

Don as I mentioned earlier it could be a combination of things including a technique issue. The videos on YT for the most part dont show the best technique really. John K - From our WCR sales staff is about release a brand new WFP series here on WCR. He goes over in great detail proper technique… Its an acquired skill for sure, but we hope to decrease the learning curve.

I appreciate the offer. I have a meter on the cart, but it measures the output, not what’s going in.

Whenever I’m power washing I always check my customer’s hose by running some water through it to clear any obstructions. Sometimes a frog or lizzard has holed up for the night, or maybe a clump of dirt has fallen in. This is worth finding out in advance. Maybe My customer’s hose had some stuff in it and it fouled the whole thing right away. I mean, it went from 5-78 in 30 minutes!

When the resin is spent, a quick increase like that is typical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don
I have a 4 stage cart, so a different set up. But we have a high tds here as well so we flush the customers water line for a few minutes to help get rid of some of that setiment in the line. But I think having a sediment filter in my system also helps us save on resin. Used my cart for a year now haven’t had to replace the di or ro yet. And that’s with thousands of gallons already through the system.

Don’t know if this helps but I would definitely get a handheld tds meter as suggested.

If he has one it could be. readings that high and it doesn’t spot? Could be the mineral composition in the water or a faulty meter on his unit. I thought the one he had only read the outgoing tds. I’ll check w/ him.

Chris go ahead and send a handheld TDS meter to Don on me please.

Don- never use the customer’s hose. Always use your own.
You wouldn’t count on borrowing their ladder would you?

When I worked for the big carpet cleaning company that was a rule because sometimes they WILL break. Sooner or later you’ll break one. Then you have to buy them a new hose. Sometimes they leak spraying water out, and that’s a pain.

Congrats on getting into pure water! Give it some time. You’ll love it, and you’ll regret not doing it sooner. We’ll be releasing our waterfed class series soon.
It’s not unusual at all to see your TDS go up like that. I once burned through a brand new 4’x21’ DI cartridge in 45 minutes. The TDS from the tap was 300 ppm.
If you’re in an area that is 200 ppm, you’ll want to move up to an ro/di unit sooner rather than later. You’ll continue to burn through DI pretty quick. The competitor you bought this cart from…did they consult you and inquire what your local TDS was? If not, it’s a shame. Anyone at WCR would have asked you what your local TDS was before selling you a DI only unit.

Anyway, welcome to the pure water game. Hope my series will help you and others shorten the learning curve.

Can I get in on that deal? :smiley:

Sure, I’m positive that Don will find it handy to have two TDS meters.