New Business - Startup Equipment - Need your advice

Below is my list of equipment that I plan on ordering. I didn’t go with a starter kit because I wanted to hand pick certain things. I think the prices came out about the same when I compared a starter kit vs what I selected. Correct me if I am wrong though. So please take a look at my list and let me know if I am under doing it, or over doing it. I want to be ready to be able to do residential and single story store fronts, maybe even two story store fronts, but I won’t market to them quite yet until I master my squeegee skills. If I am missing something please let me know. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Pulex Stainless Steel Drain Sieve
Pulex Green Bucket
Pulex Green Bucket Lid
[B]I might just go ahead and go with the Unger bucket setup though.[/B]

Unger ErgoTec SwivelLoc Handle
Unger 0 Degree ErgoTec SwivelLoc Handle
Ettore Backflip 18 in.
[B]Thoughts? [/B]

Unger S Channel 6 inch
Unger S Channel 14 inch
Unger S Channel 18 inch
[B]What rubbers do I order for these? Unger, Ettore? What size rubbers? Exact sizes or large rubbers like 24", 30", that I can cut down and get other sizes out of it?
Hard or Soft Rubber? (I live in Texas!!)[/B]

Unger ErgoTec T-Bar 18 inch
Unger SwivelStrip T-Bar 14 inch
[B]Will this get the job done, or do I need other sizes too? [/B]

Unger Original StripWasher Sleeve 14 inch
Pulex Microtiger Sleeve 18 inch (Because the 18" Monsoon is out of stock)
[B]Do I need any other type of sleeves?[/B]

Unger ErgoTec Glass Scraper 6 inch
Unger 6 inch Carbon Blades
Pulex Stainless Steel Drain Sieve
Pulex Green Bucket
Pulex Green Bucket Lid
[B]I might just go ahead and go with the Unger bucket setup though.[/B]

Unger ErgoTec SwivelLoc Handle
Unger 0 Degree ErgoTec SwivelLoc Handle
Ettore Backflip 18 in.
[B]Thoughts? [/B]

Unger S Channel 6 inch
Unger S Channel 14 inch
Unger S Channel 18 inch
[B]What rubbers do I order for these? Unger, Ettore? What size rubbers? Exact sizes or large rubbers like 24", 30", that I can cut down and get other sizes out of it?
Hard or Soft Rubber? (I live in Texas!!) [/B]

[B]Will this get the job done, or do I need other sizes too? [/B]

[B]Do I need any other type of sleeves?[/B]

[B]Are these blades good enough, or do I need something else? [/B]

Pulex Tubex Holster Detachable Clip
[B](Can’t find the left handed Unger Bucket, Please help)[/B]

Unger OptiLoc 8’ 2 Section
(Need help selecting a good 30’ pole)
[B]What pole attachments will I need?[/B]

Reclaimed Surgical Towels 24 pack

Is there anything else that I am missing?

looks like a pretty good list. I can’t tell if anythings missing from it just by looking, though.

Rubber- You will develop a preference overtime. I like the Ettore rubber, a lot of people find it too soft. The wagtail rubber is supposed to be really good and long lasting, as well. Plus it comes in 3 meter rolls, so no wasted clippings. If you will be working in warm weather mostly, a hard rubber will be better.

scraper blades- Carbon blades tend to rust quickly. They are stronger for heavy debris and won’t dull as fast, but they’re really only good for one day. If you’ll only be scraping occasionally, I would suggest the stainless blades.

Strip Washers- another preference item. If you get the opportunity to try out a few different ones, you’ll find which you like best. The microtiger sleeves are good, they’re what I use 99% of the time. They don’t hold a lot of water, though, and some recommend just using a white scrub pad with holder if you need some extra scrubbing power.

Poles- I love the garelick poles- they’re super fast to use, and I like the fact that I can let the pole slide through my hands when I’m bringing it down. I especially like their 3 section 8’ and 12’ poles. The 8’ is nice and compact, but with pretty good reach. The 12’ will handle pretty much anything else you come across in storefront, up to 1.5 or even some 2 story work. The garelicks can have the tendency of getting stuck, be careful not to overtighten.
30’ may be a bit overkill, unless you plan on building a DIY WFP (not a bad idea, btw). The unger teleplus is supposed to be a great pole for that.

channels- The stainless are nice, and its what I’ve used for most of my window cleaning. I have been getting into using aluminum channels lately, and it can make a big difference in strain. The lighter the tools you use, the better. What I’ve done is bought up a bunch of one size channel (steccone featherweight) and cut them down to the sizes I needed. This is great if you’re going to be doing cut-ups, as you can cut your squeegees to fit the panes perfectly. You’ll eventually have a collection of squeegees that can fit pretty much any french panes perfectly.
only down side to the steccone featherweights, is I’m not sure if they are compatible with the Unger handles (they’re a little wider than the stainless channels, and they don’t have notches cut out. They do fit the ettore handles nicely, though. There are also pulex aluminum channels, which are the standard width, though they seem a bit bendier.

Bucket- This one doesn’t matter a whole lot- comes down to whose accessories you like better. The pulex lid can’t be put on with the sieve or clips in place, not sure if this is true with the other brands.

T Bar- 18" and 14" are good sizes. You may also want to consider a 6" if you are going to do any cut-ups

Bucket on a Belt- Hadn’t realized that the unger BOAB isn’t south-paw friendly? I use the Pulex, and it works well. If you get the one with the clip, it will hang quite a bit lower, which I found rather awkward. I like it to sit right up on my hip, so I converted mine to be clipless.

edit: just thought of a couple items you may want to try out- natural sea sponge and scrim detailing cloth. [MENTION=327]Dangerous[/MENTION] Dave swears by them, as do many others. Both these items have been sitting in my wishlist for sometime, lol.

1 Like

See my answers above

Get yourself some water spot remover and a couple of bags of 0000 steel wool, it WILL come in handy.

Mr Clean Magic Erasers are also good to have on hand for silicone cleanup.

Glad you pointed out the 30ft pole. I read on another post that 30ft pole would be a good thing to have to start with. After going outside and looking at my second story windows, I don’t think I would need a 30ft’r. What is the longest pole I would need for residential?

Scraper holder for your belt.
Bottle holder & squeeze bottle for your belt (not everyone uses this but for me it works well for interior work)
Maybe belt pouch and or squeegee holster.
Track cleaner brush

Rubber brand is up to you. Unger makes hard and soft, you use hard in the heat because it softens it up a bit and in cooler weather you use the soft.

like they said above track brush, sea sponge, 0000 steel wool, hardwater remover (i prefer a-1)
A scraper mate razor holder. it’ll save you a ton of time from taking the gaurd off and putting it back on.
I put a large pouch on my belt (i have it on the back hanging over my butt and out of the way) that I keep my spare towels in, so when my rag gets too wet I have on within reach.
I didnt see a mention of what soap you will be using. gg4 is my preferance.
I wouldnt bother with the back flip, personally just dont like them. yeah you will save yourself some time from having to switch between the t bar and squeegee but its just not for me
If you are going to be doing residential, a pair for pro shoe covers.

cant think of anything else at the moment

Not sure if someone already said this. I started with. 30 pole but found out quickly that I needed a smaller one to do commercial jobs like an 8

I only use a 30 for gutter whitening when i don’t have to get on a ladder

I like my [COLOR=#5F6162][FONT=Arial]Unger OptiLoc 18’ for store fronts. Its like 7’ when completly collapsed and I like the weight of it while pulling on a window. Perfect pole imo[/FONT][/COLOR]

Al the Unger pole comes in 5 ft sections and 6 ft sections. The 6 ft will go up to 30 ft and the 5 ft to 25. You can drop sections so go with the 30 and only use what you need. Better to have more reach for certain jobs

Been a year since you started this thread Al. I came here looking for the same info. So how is business and are you happy with what you invested in? I’m searching threads looking for the ultimate startup package. Anything you regret buying? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I know I’m late to this thread, but here’s my thoughts for those that want them. =)

Pulex Stainless Steel Drain Sieve - I don’t think you really need this. We only ever used ours for when it was 0 degrees out and didn’t want to get our hands too wet. But you’ll need to cut the lip in order to get the lid to seal right.

Pulex Green Bucket - A bucket is a bucket in my opinion. I like the pulex colors.

Unger ErgoTec SwivelLoc Handle - I like the ettore stuff, but hey, try different things and see what you like.

Unger 0 Degree ErgoTec SwivelLoc Handle - I just can’t use the 0 degree stuff. I like the ettore super system (non-0 degree).

Ettore Backflip 18 in. - Not an essential tool for me. But these are nice when you’re trying to clean a hot window in the sun. So figure out how often you’ll need to do that and see if it’s worth it. Glass gleam 4 will prevent water from evaporating too quick so a dash of gg4 and you’ll have time to squeegee.

Unger S Channel 6 inch
Unger S Channel 14 inch
Unger S Channel 18 inch
- These are the good sizes to start with (I’d recommend 18, 12, and 6). The 6in will get you the cut ups but you’ll also want to use it on commercial sills. Use it to squeegee off the water on the sills and it’ll save you on towels. When you’re proficient at the 18" (for example learn the “z” method on youtube) you can look at larger squeegees, but personally I don’t use anything other than 18, 12, and 6.

But buy two or three 18" channels and you can cut them for special circumstances (11.5" cut outs for example). And if you bend your main squeegee, you’ll have a spare. I only buy 18’s and then cut them with a grinder cut wheel.

[B]What rubbers do I order for these? Unger, Ettore? What size rubbers? Exact sizes or large rubbers like 24", 30", that I can cut down and get other sizes out of it?[/B] - Your main squeegee will be the 18" so order 18" rubber, and after you flip it and when you wear the edges out, cut it down to your next size (12 or 14). The 6" rubber will last forever, so don’t worry about it. I prefer Ettore rubber because I don’t want to think about hard or soft. But it’s a preference thing. Buy 12 of the ettore and 12 of the unger and see what you like.

- Order the t-bars to match your squeegees. I carry an 18" and a 12". Those two are the only ones I"ve needed. You can use the edges to scrub cut ups.

- Are you in east texas or west texas? If you’re in west texas and the dirt is everywhere, go with the microtigers. They scrub great. If you’re in east texas then go with whatever. Personally, I think the monsoons have the same scrubbing power as a wet cat, but they do hold a LOT of water. Get two or three washers.

- If you plan to use these get the Dan Fields videos and some glass waivers printed. Otherwise, take these off your list. You NEED to watch the videos (at least the tempered glass defects video). I’d recommend the triumph mk3 ANGLED scraper. The angle will allow you to only scrape with one side of the blade which will prevent any embedded fabricating debris from scratching the glass. The debris tends to go over the blade and you don’t want to run that side on the window by accident. You can still flip the blade when one side gets worn, but you don’t want to “go backwards” on the blade.

Pulex Tubex Holster Detachable Clip - These are nice boabs, but they tend to break after about 3 months or so. The rivet tends to rust out and you’ll have to fix it. I personally like the under ninjas and it’s designed for left or right hand use. Also get the unger double loop belt. I’m a larger type guy and the pulex and ettore tended to come unclipped after a while, but the unger seems the best made and comes with 2 loops.

Unger OptiLoc 8’ 2 Section - Get a 12’ pole. Some single commercial have glass that can go up to 10-15’ and you’ll want to have the extra length. You’ll get 12-18 months out of the optiloc before having to replace the parts (it won’t lock and tend to collapse on you). I switched to the ettore interlock and love them. I personally don’t like the garlick because you’ll need a wooden dowel to attach stuff and that dowel breaks or sometimes the gear doesn’t hold good (or it holds too good and you can’t get it off).

[b]Reclaimed Surgical Towels 24 pack[/B] - get about 300 of these. You’ll use a lot of them starting out.

Additions
Glass gleam 4 - If you’re in west texas and have some hot sun, get a gallon of glass gleam 4 and a floater bottle. 1/2 oz per 3 gallons and the water won’t evaporate as fast. I personally like to use dawn as my main soap, but I’ll add gg4 when the glass is hot.

Unger double loop belt - I love this belt.

Unger ergotech pouch - This is possibly the best addition I’ve made. It’ll hold towels, scrubby pads, or whatever.

White scrub pad (unger or wcr) - Get about 10 of these and cut them in half. You’ll get twice the life and it’s easier to use.

Bioclean - if you want to remove hard water stain, it’s safe and will keep you out of trouble (compared to acid).

Can opener - Buy the ones from walmart. These are the best tools for getting screens out of windows. The free ones from home depot and lowes are too bent.

2" chip brush - you can get these at walmart and they’re good for brushing dust off sills or out of tracks.

Shoe covers and drop cloth - you’ll make a great impression in houses.

Wet floor sign - if you’re going to do mall work.

17’ little giant - probably the most versatile ladder in the world. When you get bigger, look at stack ladders and extension ladders.

Note: long poles suck. But if you had to, get 2 of the 24’ ettore and that’ll do pretty much anything. Why 2? Because you put the mop on one and the squeegee on the other. When doing second story work, you do not want to have to collapse and extend that sucker each time. Plus if there’s any sun out, you won’t have the time to do that. Also, get a ledger for the squeegee. Personally, I’d rather ladder tall stuff than long pole it, but poles are safer. If you find you’re doing a lot of second story stuff, get a wfp unit and a backpack sprayer.

And of course my screen washer. :wink:

2 Likes

Did anybody mention the 5 in 1 painters tool. Gotta have a 5 in 1 if you’re going to clean residential windows for a living. (The smaller light weight design not the big heavy duty design)

[MENTION=12729]JaredAI[/MENTION]
Hey Jared, have you tried any if the garlick poles. Very light

Yeah they’re light but i just didn’t like the dowel. If they had the tapered end like the Unger or ettore then I’d probably like them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

What do you mean by dowl?

It’s called the wooden cone adapter. Shopwindowcleaner.com

There’s also a plastic version but I’ve heard that it’s worse than the wooden one.

I just prefer the ettore pole. Plus the 12’ pole is only like 4’ when collapsed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Gotcha ya. That’s what I thought you meant . That’s the thing with tools it’s definitely a preference thing .

Vinegar and newspaper is all you need