Oval WFP Clamps

Spotted these in a UK group. Interesting concept.

3 Likes

3 Likes

@Chris

So is it safe to assume that the designer thinks an oval shape is stronger than a traditional round tube?

Make sense, designed for stiffness.

Cool find

Not sure where is head is at. The first thing that came to my mind was this is an “anti-spinning” idea.

2 Likes

My gut tells me it might be stiff and strong when it’s round side up and round side down but it would be weaker if the flat sides are turned horizontal.

I’d like to see how things turns out.

2 Likes

M first thought was an easier grip.

1 Like

no spinning, friendly hand control, stingray is triangular, knife handles usually conform to a comfortable grip, a pistol grip has not been round since flintlock days.
wtf wfp manufacturers why so slow on the uptake??

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing this,been talking to the man behind it,hope it’s a success.

4 Likes

Looks so good! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yep, anti spin, more comfortable to hold. Clamp only has to stop vertical slip and the lever assembly looks very interesting. Only downside I see initially is potential price. Oval CF is not a common extrusion currently. Love to see him crack this.

2 Likes

Looks sweet. Interesting concept! What is the name of that business? Hard to make out. Ovab? OVA8? Ovas?

i think this looks awesome ! i just read a little bit about this pole , cant wait to see it hit the market

2 Likes

Ova-8

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Try this shape pole easy to grip as well…
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17973679_10212907264224785_4852961931621278969_o.jpg?oh=6004846f4b33f70c9b8b01e87829881a&oe=598F8CC2

Looks like these will be out soon. Will WCR be carrying them?

Yep.

Maybe.

I have a few functioning samples here. It is a nice pole. Its very well thought out.

Back to the carbon bike frame analogy…and there are far greater stresses on a bike frame than a WFP. Many use flatted sides and assymetric sections for aero and other reasons. Provided the carbon layup is varied around the stress points all should be fine. There are lots of great videos by Specialized, Colnago, Cervelo, Giant etc on this. For a pole however, it seems a lot of effort when, provided the clamps are well designed, rotation should not be a great problem.
I notice the gooseneck is also flatted - similar to Gardiner Quick-Loq ®️.
Brush rotation on a Eurothread has been more of an issue for me than rotation from inadequate clamps but the Quick-Loq I use deals with this.

3 Likes

Aesthetically I like the look of the oval pole. There is something in my mind tho wondering about hand fatigue due to the shape.

Most things that come to my mind that are designed for the hand - motorcycle grips, broom sticks, shovels and garden tools etc are all round. I know on my motorcycles, any aftermarket grips that are over size or oddly shaped do get fatiguing on the throttle hand.

Will be interesting to see.

1 Like