Oxidation Comes Off With Brake Dust Remover

Just an FYI in case you’re ever caught out without whatever you generally use:

A couple of years ago I was out of the stuff I normally use to get rid of screen burn, but I had some brake dust remover in my truck I was going to clean my wheels with after work, so I tried it on a lark. Boy it worked great. Just spray it on, let it sit for a minute and wipe it off. If it’s bad you’ll have to scrub a bit, and some brake dust remover is more powerful than others, but they all work reasonably well and won’t eat through paint or much of anything else. It won’t work on hard water deposits, but it’s really good on window rust. I think the stuff I buy through cleaning supply houses like this one is just a tad better, but if you’re ever in a pinch and need something right now, brake dust remover works darn well and is fairly cheap.

What is “window rust?”

Perhaps he’s referring to screen burn, eh? :slight_smile:

[B][I]What is “window rust?”[/I][/B]

What a noob…

I bet you don’t know what a 6-pack carb is either. (Just kidding).

I always thought screen burn was from the oxidation from aluminum screen material transferring to the glass.

Rust is associated with iron products.

I guess it’s some old window cleaner slang I never heard before.

Yeah. I was just busting your chops. I couldn’t resist the power of the eh. It’s addictive. I have an urge to go out and buy a tuque.

****! I think I just had a Kevin Heap moment!

Definately look into that tip on the brake dust cleaner. I do the brakes on all of our service vans when needed. Having cans of that around for those two different situations is a cool idea. Thanks for the tip!

Steve

I did a quick search of MSDS sheets for brake dust cleaners and some (not all) of the sheets and sites said can instantly harm painted finishes and plastics. There are dozens and dozens of different brands of brake dust cleaners. Make sure you read the precautions before using one of them.

HEY !!!
(come over to the North Side)

I did a quick search of MSDS sheets for brake dust cleaners and some (not all) of the sheets and sites said can instantly harm painted finishes and plastics.

I guess it’s possible. I’ve used several different brands though and have never had any problem. But I do make sure to work fast and wet the area down good when I’m done just as if I were working with acid or any strong chemical. On the other hand, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a brand of brake dust remover that said anything on the can about being harmful to paint, so I think those brands must be fairly rare. Good to watch out for that though.