Pella Pella Pella - gotchas

They are definitely a pain but I can say that they are probably one of the most well-made windows. I’ve got one house that I do twice a year that has the original Pella windows from the early 60s. Wooden Casements with muntins between. They literally look brand new when we finish. For being 50+ years old, I would say that’s a pretty good window…But still a total pain

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

I will take a new Pella over a new Marvin any day of the week. That’s all I’ve got to say :slight_smile:

1 Like

If found that theres a pella supplier in Montreal. Maybe i should go down there one day and have a look at them…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: “Well made”

I’ve never seen so many “flipity flopity” screens doing the crack on the corner/
‘I have to collapse on my own weight, in your hands now’."
As I have with the Pella insignia.

Pella is the gorgeous car in the driveway, with a constant dead battery.
“It’s a great car…when it starts.” :confused:

Argh! Marvin is my nemesis!

I have more problems with Marvins than anything. I keep running into this film on them. I would rather smash them out than clean them

Anderson is my favorite

This, sir, is gold right there right here.

I finished this house with like 50 pellas and on your advice bought a couple cans of sprayaway. I did the first few like I normally do, letting them breathe to prevent fog, but by the end I had total confidence to just reassemble and close.

The homeowner was extremely happy and couldn’t believe the difference between the cleaned ones and the uncleaned ones. The wife was excited that it even “smelled” clean. I just loved the fact that my mop wasn’t dripping.

But I’m definitely going to charge a LOT more for these suckers because this house took me all day and my average was down to about $60. I think $15 per pane is a good starting point for these.

1 Like

I’ll have to try this out. Though I’m not incredibly crazy about sprayway, due to the butyl and propellants involved. Trying to keep things as environmentally & health friendly as possible up here.

I agree on the pricing. We’re at $14 for a standard pella, and $18 for a designer series. We make bank on those designer series 'cuz everyone’s so scared of them, but they’re usually just as fast if not faster to clean than a standard pella. And we do better hourly wise with any pellas than with regular triple track storms.

2 Likes

Good to know… I’ll put that in my mind when it comes to pricing Pellas…

Learn to notice them when you do your estimate. You can usually see the clips from the outside. I charge an extra 75% when they want all 4 surfaces cleaned.

Gotta love it when the painters put them back together with still tacky paint!:confounded:

I typically charge $5/Pane extra for Pella panes (removed & cleaned thoroughly). I have a pretty efficient process for cleaning them that I’ve been wanting to do a video on.

For example: DH w/muntins

• Unclip the pane
  • Tug on clips to tilt the pane out so I can grab and remove it
  • Set the pane aside
  • Do the same for the lower
  • Remove muntins and set aside
  • Clean the side facing me on the top & bottom permanent panes (side 2)
  • Reinstall muntins
  • Grab the top removed pane, turn it so the seal is facing me (side 3) and “install” it
  • Clean side 3 like normal, extra drying on the edges & bottom (regular Mop & Squeegee method)
  • Turn it around and install removed pane, clips n all
  • Do the same for the lower pane
  • Clean side 4, top & bottom
  • Done.

It’s not entirely possible with ladderwork, but a great workflow for windows within standing reach. I recently did a 2-story house like this, 28 DH Pellas - 56 panes in total, all with muntins, and 15 screens; 6 hours solo from pack in to pack out w/screens washed & hosed; $61/hr + Tip and this was done @ $4/Pella pane, so average $13/window. The customers asked about the fogging up, and I told 'em it wasn’t an issue as they’ll naturally vent & dry by the time I leave (they did).

For ladderwork, I could see something like Sprayway + Microfibers working well for efficiency, I’m just not sure about the potential for swirls & streaks (trust my squeegee too much). I imagine I’ll try it someday though, as I use the Unger Indoor cleaning pads with Sprayway.

2 Likes