People getting weird around you as your business grows?

Hahaha I hear ya!

When I first started my biz, I was talking to this girl who just happened to be the bartender at my local haunt.

Her BFF said “I don’t like that *** is seeing a window cleaner”, like I was some sort of scourge.

Luckily, I had about $800 in cash on me from the day’s take. I offered her a shot, and made sure she saw the stack.

Her tune changed quick.

As soon as I say I own a window cleaning business people look at me a little weird like “window cleaning?”

I love what I do, I’m also glad that I don’t sit in the same spot 9-5 doing something so miserable that walking to a water cooler is my idea of fun for the workday. Oh and the fact I wake up and don’t hate Monday’s like the majority of the work force.

Mike
Pro Window Cleaning
Home

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Alex, you have just received the award for the most insightful post of the year. Very well said.

See also the book “Millionaire Next Door” by Stanley

Yeah, I get that a lot. Especially among technical people. I get the vibe that they sort of look down on service people and then when something technical comes up and they find out I used to be an engineer and worked on things that are a lot faster than anything they’ve ever worked on, it’s funny to sort of see the mental gears grinding while they figure out what’s up with me.

I was out bidding some storefronts and walked into this one shop and they had a bunch of boards along the wall so striking up conversation went “Oh, so do you lay out pcb’s?” And the guys behind their desks looked up, “No, we just test them. Uh, how do you know about pcb’s?” I designed them, except ours ran at 2.4 Ghz and radiation was a mutha, so would you like a free estimate on your windows?

I’ve been going to a group called “1 Million Cups” and our local group was organized by a buddy of mine who is a certifiable internet genius millionaire type and it’s funny when people go “Oh, window cleaning. Uh. Neat.”

Occasionally he’ll mention to someone that I’m doing web design and internet solutions on the side, because you know, it’s a step down from window cleaning and it’s a nice hobby for when it’s cold out.

Moral of the story: go out and buy “Millionaire Next Door” and take pride in being a business OWNER.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app.

When I first started making some money with this business, I bought a new minivan for my wife, a new Honda Civic for me, and a new pop-up camper. My wife’s friends kept asking her if I had won the lottery or something. I mean, I didn’t buy a Bentley! People who can only make more money if their boss gives them a raise just have a completely different perspective on things like working harder, and smarter, to make more.

I sent my kids to a private school where I was by far the poorest person there. We got financial aid. Half of those people had more money in cars than I made in three years. I was never the least bit embarassed to say I own a window cleaning business.

I like what I do. And my wife and kids like it that I always have time for them.

Continue being YOU, people are meant to come in and our of our lives, your true friends will stay near. Once you start hanging with like minded people, the creative juices just end up flowing, crazy how the universe works :slight_smile:

Asked ‘Why do you window clean?’

1. I like it
  2. I’m the boss, so no putting up with d**k head co-workers or having to fix other peoples stuff-ups
  3. I can and do say ‘no’ to PITA customers - yes I really do turn down the money. I wont be insulted with efforts to buy my soul.
  4. I can see my kids school activities, go play golf, goof off at the beach etc whenever I want

“yeah, that sounds good” is the standard response.

Case closed your honor:cool:

Awesome stuff in this thread. I had a rough couple days out beating the bushes this week…actually the bushes beat me. There are some poignant reminders here about the true value of toughing it out and building a business into something that you can be proud of. Thanks for the uplifting messages.