Pole work. Traditional or swivel squeegie?

“My honest opinion is why not just have a swivel as long s it is comfortable for ya”

For me it’s because it cost me time. Most people would question that but years ago I sat down to evaluate my technique and procedures to cut out as much time as possible. It was when I was putting together my employee training program. I found that almost every time I went to use the squeegee I was adjusting it right before I went to squeegee the window. It was very little time but my goal was to cut out all wasted movements that in the end would add up to a decent time cut. Because of that slight adjustment I cut out the swivel squeegee. That along with the other adjustments to technique I made cut a good amount of time overall. Again that’s just for me. Everyone is different. You would be surprised how much you learn to work around issues where you would normally use the swivel. Your technique quickly adjusts and you rarely need the swivel. That said in those rare occasions when you do need it. You really need it.

That’s why I love the Unger locking swivel squeegee. It’s the best of both. You have your fixed squeegee and can unlock it when you absolutely need the swivel mechanism. It’s great.

I’m with you on the minimalist. I wouldn’t use anything on my person for route work. I don’t do route work anymore though.

I prefer fixed handle for pole work. I use the 7 method and kill it.

3 Likes

What’s the 7method?

With a fixed handle that the only way to go or feather the start of your vertical pulls

1 Like

Window Cleaning techniques - YouTube watch at 2:20.

2 Likes

Thsi is crazy !! didn’t even know they had a lock for the squeegee handle. I haven’y bought one in a while. When did they change ? I Needed a strip washer handle a few months ago. An noticed it on the strip washers so that’s why I went ninja for the handle
I haven needed a handle for my squeegee in a while. Ya that’s cool. It’s a little hard thought to pop it open , but other than that I like it a lot.

I was wondering what you were talking about earlier about the ninja An the handle being able to lock for the squeegee I was like mine don’t lock.
I just looked An saw they have them.

HEY Oooooo

I have to work honest though the ninja handle is the best handle on the market in my opinion. It doesn’t move on me even without the lock. If I tighten good it don’t move unless I move it.

1 Like

That’s what you call the 7 method?

Yes. You skim across the top from left to right and then down. It makes a 7. Or a backwards 7 if you do it the other way. Then I guess you could call it the backwards 7 method

1 Like

I’ve done it for years and never had a name for it. Thanks for explaining. Off to bed to get my growl on. Have a good night.

2 Likes

I learned the name after I had been doing it too.

1 Like

Yah I love the locking squeegee handle! Remember they had the older locking handles even before the Ninja. Different style though.

I use the same method. It depends on the style of windows. I either use the 7 method or the feather straight pull method. Depends on the windows. Sometimes I fan the tops with the pole as well. It’s nice to have different methods for different windows.

2 Likes

I used a sorbo 24 and ledger 90% 24"

1 Like

I"You would be surprised how much you learn to work around issues where you would normally use the swivel. Your technique quickly adjusts and you rarely need the swivel. That said in those rare occasions when you do need it. You really need it." whatapane

I agree! I roll with old fashioned Ettore brass handles (quick release) more than 90% of the time. I have an adjustable handle, Ettore Super Handle, on my belt with a five inch channel on it just in case I need it. I love the simplicity of the way I work. Fixed handles.

We didn’t have adjustable anything when I started. I watch the other guys with the latest gadgets on YouTube and in real life and to me they don’t appear to be working any faster. KISS

Dan the window man explains

5 Likes

One thing I disagree with about what Dan says about the walking while side poling = dead time, its less effort, however I think if he had paired side pole with hand finish it would have won hands down, 30" sorbo side pull then he could have reached and fanned in about 30 secs max.

1 Like

Great video, love that one!

This whole thing with saving seconds is absolutely ridiculous. Honestly my helper smokes an he smokes right before take off
( Not in my van either :scream:). For now on it’s 10 drags (puffs) an we are freaking moving.
That should make up for some serous time :v:
An for now on I want him taking bigger steps That saves at least 45 sedocnds a day

2 Likes

Why?

How many of you are exposed to that level of traffic noise while working?

1 Like

I clean landry’s seafood in Englewood, CO (Denver) its right off of I-25 there’s probably over 100,000+ vehicles that past by while we clean it. The sound is deafening!

2 Likes