Pressure washer on the cheap!

I have a chance to purchase a Pressure Washer from a friend who is moving cross country…it’s 2yrs old…and he’s used it maybe 5 times in that 2 yrs…just around his property. he offered to let it go for a hundred dollar bill. I’m thinking this could be my way into house washing. He’s washed his house before and said it did a great job…It’s 3100-PSI 2.5-GPM.

The thing is…every kind of reading and research I do, tells me that I should have at least a 4-GPM pressure washer to get the job done…now, what I have read is the 2.5-GPM can do the job,it just takes a little longer.

What do you guys think?..toss the hundred his way and get some jobs…save the money and upgrade later on? or save the hundred?..here’s a picture of what it looks like…not the actual one…but exactly like it!

Myself…I am inclined to go for it and make money!

EDIT:…I’m looking to get into house washing only…no big pressure washing jobs right now…

That’s more like a home owners model. I would keep your eyes open for a honda GX 390. 4GPM per min. Direct drive is fine to start. You need at least 4 to downstream , An be efficient
So I say save your 100

Gx390 4gpm is a decent starting point but if you want to be on another level get a 5.5 gallon machine… and then the next level to that is 2 5.5 gallon machines tied together. You will wash houses so fast you will forget you were there.

2 Likes

I have 3 residential window cleaning jobs set up for this coming week…that will give me enough to invest in a better machine!

2 Likes

I know a guy who started with a 2.5 and a xjet saved money from every job and finally bought a better machine. So could it be done yes. He also said if he could go back he would have just got a bigger machine from the get go.

6 Likes

I heard almost those exact same words from someone the other day in the PW field. Lol

I would say yes if he has the work to go with it.

I’m doing a window cleaning job this week…and she wants me to do her parents lake house as well. …when I mentioned that I was planning to start house washing soon,she immediately told me to schedule her and her parents house as soon as I am ready. So between the window cleaning and Those two house washing jobs I can upgrade to a higher quality Pressure Washer…then I can sell the one I am thinking about buying and recover what I spent on it.

The way I look at it…without spending a hundred bucks on this one,I would not get those two house washing jobs that would enable me to upgrade…That’s why it’s so appealing to me to do it…even though it’snot necessarily the best washer for what I plan to do long term.

2 Likes

I hear ya. When Kt comes down to it. I guess Making something is better than making nothing.
My point is once work starts pouring in , an your operating a 2.5 gallon machine your efficiency rate goes done $ per hour could be increased with better equipment, so hence my opinion.
As a window cleaner when I added on power washing my mani thing was windows., so the one or 2 house washing jobs I got a week weren’t worthy of a expensive set up.
My 4 gallon Machine did me fine An is still doing me fine, in at a point now where I need to upgrade.
I’m just glad I didnt decide to get a 2.5 , Becuse I almost did :scream:JMO
Also I was buying brand new

2 Likes

Spend the hundred. Make 600. Sell the machine for a hundred. Add 300 and you have a thousand dollar pressure washer within two weeks. I say go for it!

5 Likes
1 Like

I definitely hear ya there…and over all I agree with your original comment…I believe that it would not hold up under constant use…but my wheels started turning when this customer was interested in adding two house washing jobs…I kind of looked at it as a “flip” for the lack of a better word…lol…I for sure have an eye on what I want…this may help get me there.

Hell yeah!,method to the madness right? haha!

1 Like

Kool man I wish you luck. Are you going to get an XJet ?

1 Like

I have been looking at that…I think I’m gonna try it out…if I don’t like it…I could always re-sell it with the Simpson haha!

The X-jet always can come in handy , you’ll evently jace to buy just to try it. Some guys are xjet An swear buy it. Others are downstream . I jace both, An to me it’s preference. My preference is nit lugging , or wheeling around a container,full of solution.

1 Like

This is almost exactly how I started and within two weeks I bought a better machine. You gotta start somewhere!

1 Like
1 Like

I mentioned above this is pretty much exactly how I got started. Except I kept the Ryobi I started with as a backup for my backup and out of nostalgia. Ha!

1 Like

That’s very true. Please don’t think I was knocking it. Do what you have to do is my motto! :+1:

1 Like