Price Increase

Good words, those. What translation do you prefer ? :wink:

1 Like

I lower my prices every year as that is a great business model. Working harder for less is very satisfying.

2 Likes

never seen a restaurant, coffee shop, retail store of any kind advertise or notify re a price increase unless it’s as a buy now before prices increase type threat. i have seen walmart advertise price roll backs and of course others advertising sales or promo.

personally i think that statemant is poor form

1 Like

To be fair that’s not entirely true when you look at a coffee shop in the price said 325 for a small and now it says 350 for a small there is your notification. We are in an intimate business where we have customers phone numbers emails personal address etc showing up in charging them more than you did last time is not the same as a coffee shop putting higher prices on the menu and not going hey did you know our prices are higher now It’s there for you to see.

I let my Quarterly customers know, other than that the price is the price.

Yes they often have menus with prices so their customers can make informed decisions about what they would like to order and how much they would like to pay.I’ve seen those boards many many times but I’ve never once seen one that says by the way we put up prices last week.

Ok so you have a menu of prices for customers too see as you pull into clean the windows? See why it’s different they don’t tell you they raised them but they show you before they make your coffee, are you showing them prices when you pull up to their house or on the invoice after the windows are cleaned/coffee is given, it is different. Sorry it’s not apples to apples

often i adverstise prices and always tell people what cost will be if they ask or do quotes for all new, if you want to advertise price increase go ahead. but don’t try to insinuate that because i don’t formally announce to the world when i increase a price that somehow i am substandard is absurd and so is someone expecting as time passes that a given service will stay the same price and what kind of idot woul go into a house to clean it without having somekind of arrangemnet for the financial side.

I say, we have had some price increases due to the increase in supplies and labor costs. If its ok, then we have this and that date available.

After reading most of these comments, I wonder if its fine to just raise without notifying. Is it just me and my feelings that makes me want to notify them cause I think I’m a nice guy?? They didn’t hire me cause of my price. I’m often told I have the highest price by customers but they still choose us.

I will say, we are raising prices more than I ever have. And have not had 1 customer say no.

The price of everything changes over time. I scheduled a job that I haven’t done in a year yesterday. I confirmed the date, time, and gave the price as well. Not the same price as the last time I did it, but it has been a year. Even my grocery bill is different from a year ago.

4 Likes

I did a job this morning for a C-list customer.

I have charged $180 in the past. Their new total was $250.
They were totally happy.

Raise. Those. Prices. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Not saying you are that I’m simply stating that your argument between you and the coffee shop is not apples to apples. I’m not calling you unethical I’m simply stating that giving somebody a new price on an invoice after services are rendered is not the same as posting prices on a menu the customer can see before they get their coffee

I just lost a 35 year client from my list! I raised her price today.
Her $1,135,000, 3200 sq ft home with 4 sky lights had been done by the original owner for $100 inside and outsdie, they were friends, his son for $125, then I took over and raised it to $175. I raised the outside price to $125 two years ago with a nasty exchange and today I raised it to $135. She blew a gasket. Cited the other two guys she used in between charged less (that was news to me, she is having others clean in between? she did say it is never the same person because they don’t answer again! shocker) and that her sons 9000 sq ft home was only $400 from his cleaner. She then said she kept using me as a favor (to who?).
This is my fault, I did not standardize price increases, even as inflation went nuts.
This has me a bit ticked. I was doing something nice for her but stupid for me by keeping price very low…they don’t care. Those that respect your work will understand and pay or not but they won’t act like she did to me and my helpers.
I’ve been losing money trying to be “fair” “nice” etc.

I am hoping that job only took about an hour or so in the past, if not, glad that you’ll move on to more worthwhile (appreciative) customers with your time.

P.S. are you charging your prices by square footage or by number of panes and difficultly? I just find going by square footage tough because of so many variables on two identically sized homes.

I lost track of your pricing. You said you raised it to $175, then $125, Then $135?
There must be something missing from your story.
Also, $1.135 million dollar home with only $125 worth of window cleaning? What does she only have like 10 windows?

1 Like

Sorry,
The $175 is for inside and outside, outside only was $125 and raised to $135.
She has 44 panes with the sky lights. I was screwing myself.

Be happy and content to walk away then.

3 Likes

Yowzers, glad you escaped that situation brother.

1 Like

like most of our pains and problems this is/was self inflicted. trying to get in some of my purgatory here.

If they push back say “ our employees are our best asset. The cost of labor to keep great technicians coming to work on your windows has gone up this year. So to make sure we can send you the best technicians we need to charge a little more”

3 Likes