Pushing the Water Fed limit

Why not just sub out the high-rise portion of that job to a quality company in town and water pole the rest your self.

you can, and for taller stuff i do. But usually the outside windows are ALL the sub’s then, you really don’t take the easy ones from them.

2 Likes

If you sub something your in charge and you decide what you want to hire someone for.

If a person isnt comfortable of using an aerial lift to get nose to glass they shouldnt be using the equipment.

Sometimes the idea of gaining a large account distracts us from our own limitations. Its one thing to learn but another to do so in a way that puts you, employees or public at risk.

The lift adds $2000 to the job over competition. Is there access for lift, grass, landscape on both sides of building. Damage/precautions for driving a 45,000 lb lift on grass, especally turning. All this work at 9 stories is at the entry, precautions for that too. Is there an experienced/trained driver and person using pole, it would be a 2 person process. If you are crazy enough to attempt from ground, thinking it is possible to reach a commercial 9 story commercial building factor in cost to break pole sections and still needing a way to finish.

Id like to see back of building, is the a way of getting the lift there too or just needed on front of building only.

3 Likes

We do use a laser measuring device for jobs. But I’ll look into the one you mentioned. Ours is mostly only good for Resi since it doesn’t shoot very far. I think maybe 50’ is it’s limit. But thanks!

So Hi-Mod and a lift is the way you go. That makes sense.

Let me ask, do you own a lift or do you have access to one at a some discount? If not, how do you get around what the other guys are saying about the rental adding so much to the ticket?

If, as it seems, it’s impractical or impossible to clean windows some 90 feet up then a lift must be considered. The first picture (the rear) is accessible using a boom. The front, here pictured, would need an articulating lift.

Frankly, I’d rather not lift at all. I’d rather pole from the ground. But I wasn’t sure of the capabilities and particulars of using WF poles higher than the 40 feet we routinely use.

This is why I started the thread, really. I mean any advice on how to tackle the job in question is appreciated. (Except the “you need to walk away” people! :rofl: )

But I’d like to know how far up water fed technology is being used and what are the circumstances when using at those heights.

It seems like everyone here is saying that 65 feet and below are the standard operating heights for water fed poles operated from the ground. Anything above that, the risk factors become real issues.

Using a WF pole with a lift is a possibility. It can take you up higher than 65 feet, putting even 10 story building in play. But you’ve got to be familiar with all the basic lift operating parameters already mentioned, which makes sense.

Thanks!

IF you use a lift you pass the charge on, if you OWN a lift you still charge them to use the lift. I don’t own one, I almost got a tow behind, but there is sooo much up keep, and expense I would rather rent one

sounds like brutal work i wouldn’t enjoy anything much beyond our 5 floors lol let alone over 100’

i’ve worked on lifts and would not enjoy using a pole on one, i guess it would greatly mitigate low obstacles though

I use them too, you can get one at home depot for under 100 bucks. Igot this one here, the one from 5 or 6 years ago (they don’t make em anymore my model was discontinued, but this one is the replacement).

Its good for shooting for boom lifts too.

I would recommend the Leica Disto for accuracy and distance. The Bosch is more for real estate agents. (Have you ever checked their measurements:-) )

Lol of course I have. Real estate agents…I like you. Me and you are right
as rain.

The back of the building is super easy too, you can do it from the roof of the lower buildings easily the only windows that would be rough are the first few rows in the front of the building…

You can rent a rolling scaffold too just to get you up 20 more feet…