Quoted my first house

Thats a massive problem! Do everything you can to get one asap, I can clean french panes the same speed as standard glass maybe a few seconds more per window. $36.00 for the outside of one window is insane unless its hard water or extreme post construction

I would do these 2 windows in and out for $40.

$20 per window.

Maybe $30 (for both) depending on how I felt / what the scope of the job was. If it was less then I’d price it higher, if there were more windows I’d price it at that $30.

I sort of discount it a bit if there are alot of windows but not by too much.

$10 outside only per window… if you have service mi I mind and wfp you breeze through exterior cut ups.

You don’t think at a 100 year old house with old glass and wood frames and no caulk that a wfp will leak inside? I’m not poopooing on wfp, to each their own. But I would be worried about making a mess, and also not getting them clean. She’s never had them cleaned professionally, they’re trashed. Spider webs, butterfly turds, all kinds of crap.

Lmao $3 per square… tell him he’s dreaming

You mean I am asking too much at 3$ per pane? Because I feel like I’ve read lots of folks on here saying that is about right.

1.50$ being too low.

The average is like 75 cents or a dollar per pane on cut ups outside only and a $1.50 a cut up inside & out. $3.00 each square outside only is a highway robbery. You are either reading about residential prices or commercial cleaning I don’t know anybody that charges a $3 for the outside of one cut up

Keep it simple.
This window?
images
$12, one side.
Tracks dirty and need cleaned? Add $3.
Screens involved? Add $4
Total = $19 one side.

1 Like

Ok thank you that is what I needed to hear. It’s really hard going from an hourly rate to pricing your own stuff.

I feel like 1$ per pane is much more reasonable for the cutups, I’m sure I was misunderstanding the other posts as to different types of windows.

So now the question is, should I do the work tomorrow and then tell her look I overquoted you yesterday I’m sorry for the confusion, I will lower my price to 100$ for all 6 doors (a little over 15 per door), so that when I bid the next house at 1$ per cutup she doesn’t think I ripped her off?

Perfect thank you!

French doors usually have 15 panes each, at $1 per pane that is $15 per side, $30 for both sides. Often times there are double door French panes side by side; $30 for one side of both, $60 for both sides of both.

If she already accepted the quote then do the job and track your time. If you get done in an amount of time where your have more than met your hourly rate announce to her that you are happy to do the job for x instead of the original quote as you may have over quoted because french panes have so many factors. Don’t come out and say I read stuff wrong on the wcr or I am new just make it sound like hey I bid the job in a knowledgeable way but having done it I may have over thought the work on the cut ups. Make it should like a professional mistake not that you are a newb is what I am trying to get at. So for example lets say someone has an hourly goal of 80hr and they bid a job for $500.00 and get it done in 4 hrs which would be $320.00. You can come to the homeowner and when its time to pay say "Hey Mrs. Jones cut up windows are a lot of work and in my experience usually come with some trouble however after doing this job I am happy to do it for $320.00 instead of the $500.00. Now don’t get in a habit of doing this where customers start to think your quote is always gonna be less than quoted or you punish yourself and your profits by lowering prices as you get faster. However on this specific job if you quoted $3 per square outside only that is a massive over quote and you could make it right by giving her a joyful suprise when the job is done and that you made a professional not newb mistake.

2 Likes

I would still wfp the outside, it’s basically as if it were raining outside.

If it leaks then it’s not your fault, that is the integrity of the house and it requires some repairs.

1 Like

Awesome thank you so much. I will definitely give her a better price. I’ll post tomorrow and let you know how it goes if you’re interested. Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.

Yes I’m interested, hope all goes well!!!

i wanted to quote a house but it just wasn’t saying anything interesting.

1 Like

You must learn the technique to clean French doors. They’re always a pain in the glass. It should be one motion. You need a six inch brass ettore squeegee. Maybe a 4 depending on size.
Start in the middle go up to your left corner across to the right corner, then diagonal to the bottom left corner and back up and straight down to finish in the bottom right corner. Try wiping just the left edge of your squeegee rubber the (first inch) after each window cleaned. It takes about 4 seconds a window. Do them in rows, the top row, then go to the next row to prevent any runs, or drips. Wipe the ledge after a row.
Another trick is to use very soapy water( more like a foam) on cut up glass. Just put soap directly on scrubber. Less runs this way. More like a foam your wiping off. Use micro towels after everything is dry to fix mistakes. Good luck. I have a resteraunt with 640 of these cut up pieces of glass. I train new people on this after they get down the basics. It takes a few times to get this figured out, but once you do, your a window cleaning machine.

Thank you for the advice, but as I said above I’ve been cleaning windows for 10 years. I’m plenty fast and good at what I do. My point in making this post wasn’t how to be a better window cleaner, but how to bid for a job. That’s what I’m not good at yet, asking for money.

But thanks again, I’m not trying to sound snarky or anything.

3 Likes

People in my area turn down $1.25 for a french pane in & out

Alright so I did the job this morning. It went way faster than I thought, I’ve been doing commercial for a while and it’s been a minute since I’ve done a house, I forgot how fast it can go.

It was just two sets of these doors, 90 panes altogether. Took about an hour with scarping paint off a few and cleaning all the wood.

So at 3$ a pane I definitely overbid. I told her when I was finished that I overestimated and finished way faster than I thought I would and wanted to drop the price down to 100$, I also trimmed some branches over her pool. She was very understanding, and of course very happy that I lowered the price, and I didn’t feel embarrassed or stupid or anything. So I’m working on a more conservative estimate process, definitely will stick with 15$ per side of a french door.

She was so happy with the windows she almost cried, she’d never even seen a pro work, let alone had hers done professionally. They were a mess. Got her booked quarterly and she took a handful of my cards to give to her friends, she said she’ll be singing my praises.

Learned a valuable lesson from all this, thank you to everyone who helped me out.

4 Likes