Residential Cleaning Process

Thanks all for the suggestions. A couple of follow up questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a good training video or program for this? Preferably focused on residential cleaning?

2. When cleaning outside, when would we use the Constructor vs. the Boar Hair brush?

Haha Windows don’t lie!

I’m two years in after working for a storefront/restaurant guy for a year and a reputable mid-sized company for another year. I’ve used WFP on large commercial projects with big glass, but even the company I worked for wanted nose to glass on residential projects.

My first year in business (last season), I used a 3-fly 24’ with levelers and a stand-off, and a 4’ step On a Subaru. I was able to hit almost everything except for interior skylights. I got somewhat proficient with an extension pole while doing recurring storefront accounts, so occasionally used a pole to mop and squeegee stuff I couldn’t reach. This year, I bought a truck, a 6’ step, multi-ladder, and more hucks to replace my shredded ones. Almost all of my business comes from networking and word of mouth. I’m educated, articulate, and friendly, so I get a lot of referrals, and clients who want their other properties done.

A few things to remember are that many window cleaners are called in to remove paint overspray and other debris that require razors and a scrub. I offer a detail service, so every piece of glass gets steel wooded when possible with the exception of tinted, low-e, UV, and acrylic. I still don’t own a WFP system. Maybe next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Another thing… I’m obsessively passionate about glass. I find ladder work and squeegee work far more enjoyable than using pure water. Don’t get me wrong, DI/RO has its place, but I personally don’t feel comfortable using it on most residential, particularly on older homes with colonials that seep, and obviously storms, though I can see applications for storms, once pulled apart. I’m still in the process of learning, and this site has given me years of experience from the get-go.

I agree with most that you’re going about it backwards. As the owner with an employee, you should know the in/out of the traditional techniques as well as WFP.

I recommend working with an experienced crew for a while, picking up what works and what doesn’t for various applications, and adapt them to your style. I viewed window cleaning as an art before seeing it as a business.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource