Residential, is it just me?

Residential’s are potential for up sell.

• Move furniture? Minor, I just do it; inconvenient for me, I charge a nominal amount. (Think - add on’s add up.)
  • Tracks dirty, will turn to mud when wet. If their housekeeper is the kind who vacuums them, not a problem; more likely not, so add on fee of $1.50 - $2.00 per.
  • Screen cleaning is extra work and some homes don’t have them, charge per screen cleaning. I have an IPC Eagle II screen washer; makes for a professional look to be outside running screens through a “screen washer”, and is easier for multiple screens.
  • Screens show their wear? Screen repair is an up sell! Screen mesh and spline replace?; frame corners replace?; rebuild entire screen frame and all? - adds up!
  • Small breakables? You should cover this in your walk through of the job. Point out those things the customer should move like breakables and knick-knacks in front of the windows.
  • They have a dog? Ask that they pick up the yard before you start so you don’t step in Fido’s mess.

Residential’s are different because you are in someones home (obviously) where they are set with things how they like them, but you are there to gain access to their windows in order to clean them the best you can. If you see obstacles, then have a discussion about them giving you access to the window. For you to carefully have to move a bunch of stuff - up sell - goes on the invoice. You don’t have to do a breakdown of “line item”, just figure it into your charge for the job.

"… I wanted to be making at least 50 an hour but I think I’m a little slow…"
As you get more experience you will get faster and your pricing will level out for the job.
$100.00 per hour is a good goal to work towards. Many homes that I do last from 4 to 7+ hours of steady working. It took a while for me to figure out my average time based on the value of the job. When I first started out (with no prior reference) per pane pricing was the only way I could judge what to charge a home by. Over the years I have made a few adjustments that brings me to (or quite near) $100 per hour, and that includes add on’s because they extend the length of the job.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

HAHAHA…This made me laugh out loud because I have walked up to some blinds, pulled the cord as normally one would, and the whole damn thing fell to the floor. Damned those “oops” moments…lol

Yeah, never assume that the blinds were professionally installed. DRYWALL IS NOT A SOLID ANCHOR MR HOMEOWNER!

I always assume the blind is hooked to drywall so I lift from the bottom while pulling. For high up blinds, I use my pole and sill squeegee to push up.

5 Likes

I do the exact same thing EVERY time. Last thing I need when I’m in a hurry is some stupid 1970’s era, dusty maroon colored, blind to come crashing down into me at some dingy diner that smells like smoke! :smile:

I also have to pull blinds up while bidding jobs and can you imagine how fast I’d lose out on a bit of I yancked the blind down right in front of the potential customer. That’s bad for business.

3 Likes

I charge $3 for tracks and $3 for screen cleaning. I just roll those prices into the total. I don’t have a sliding scale of prices or level of detail for those services as they almost always need lots of cleaning in my area.

I clean tracks with wet wipes and micro fibers. Screens always have dust and cottonwood fluff on them so they always need thorough cleaning, not just a wipe.

If they have damaged screens you should consider screen repair as an upsell.

3 Likes

I definitely had some blind issues yesterday. I like the idea of using wet wipes. The biggest takeaway I have gotten from this thread is to first of all have set prices for everything and secondly be confident in them. Anyone on here live in Arizona also? Like people in cold weather areas have their own unique challenges with the snow and whatnot Arizona is prone to heavy dust and dirt and most windows have sun screens so being able to handle and clean those comes with the territory. Is re-screening difficult I have been interested in that? Anyone else offer ceiling fan dusting? Just got a call my door hangers are ready woohoo. Just gotta find a thousand lucky coupon recipients now lol.

1 Like

Might be better to find 300 lucky homes and hammer them 3 times over a 1-2 month period.

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good plan.

1 Like

I’m from AZ. Solar screens are my hell. Sun cooks them and breaks them downso you can’t ever get them truly cleaned. I know how to replace/repair them. Hmu if you need to.

3 Likes

Exactly. I’m beginning to feel their wrath. Many of them are baked in and falling apart. I guess that’s their job to absorb the sun. I appreciate it sir hope your seasons going well.

it cost me 1200 for a blind last year. 6’ wide and 10’ high auto control. Scewed in to dry wall.

3 Likes

Ouch! That’s painful!

2 Likes

Here’s some input on ceiling fan dusting & prices. Ettore and Unger both make ceiling fan dusters.

It is a good idea to bring a drop cloth and wear a mask :mask:

2 Likes

Got the dropcloth and duster I’ll check this out thanks.

1 Like

That was a great thread.

1 Like

Haha ya, I’ve had that happen at my mom’s house when I was a teen, now every time I raise blinds I lift the bottom so the chord catches up.

I’ve also had curtains pull from drywall, no stud or too small of screw, and land on me.

I’ve been thinking of doing this when I start as well. Replacing the screen doesn’t seem hard, I watched/helped my mom replace 1 damaged by our cat knocking to be let in, it’s when you have a frame with corners that are just brittle. Those corners are plastic and from what I’ve read if they’re yellowing they need to be replaced or they will eventually blow to bits

2 Likes

Yep, you live and learn. Always lift assist when pulling the cord. Haven’t run into the curtain rods popping out of the drywall yet, but doesn’t surprise me that it happens sometimes.

1 Like

effin blinds and knick knacks.

done some stuff which has cost me, but can’t replace this.

ashtray made in 2-4th grade, we all know this stuff. Crappy colored stiff mud. Well we broke one in 2008 or 09, kid died. No money fixes that.

This is how it is when you first start to do residential . Unless their current window cleaner retires or something to that nature you’re going to get windows that haven’t been cleaned at all.
They key is to turn theses clients into repeats . Give them a price for quarterly cleaning and you’ll be flying bye homes fast

2 Likes