RO/DI VS. Renting 3 DI tanks

[SIZE=“4”]Hello again,

Now I’m continuing research on the need for the RO cart vs what I’m doing right now. Which is renting 3 dual bed resin tanks.

As for the 3 rental DI tanks, one is the scrubber, one polisher and one in reserve just in case I need to swap in the field. Each tank is about 4’ high. I can usually last about 3 weeks or more before I need to swap out a tank. My monthly rental is about $55 and swap is $95. So roughly my cost per month during peak season is about $145 give or take. Let’s say there are 6 months of that plus 6 months of the $50 rental. My annual expense is about $1230 more or less. Probably more.

The TDS in Napa is anywhere from 150 to 300 PPM. Out of my faucet it’s 160. I usually go to a property that has a well and those TDS readings can range anywhere from 500 to 700 PPM. Those are the exception to the rule. I only get those about every other month more or less.

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on an RO/DI cart. I like the fact that Shawn Gavin makes the two that I’m considering. Both have 4 stages. The first one is about $1595 from Ettore VS the 3 star one that costs $2150. Both are from J.**********.

I have a couple questions regarding both.

1. Can they both be run while laying horizontal instead of standing vertical? Doesn’t gravity have any effect on its position?

2. Will they become exhausted sooner if moved from vertical and horizontal on a daily basis or will that help?

3. With the Ettore, why does it cost $2400 more to have a 4 stage cart with power when a 3 star pump sells for $175?

4. The 3 star the cart looks flimsy. Will they come out with a sturdier cart soon.

5. Is there a place where I can buy one of these for less than J.********** sells them for? I’m talking about $100’s rather than 10’s.

Now I know that there are a bunch of window cleaning geeks out here. I’m not up all the scientific mumbo jumbo so don’t get too technical on me with your explanations with the cat ions and anions and all the chemical reactions that are involved. I’m like the semi-educated customer, too much techno talk and my eyes will roll to the back of my head and I’ll go to sleep on you.

My philosophy is this. It’s much better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. That’s why I always do what some call over kill. :cool:

[/SIZE]

Eric you can buy either the HydroTube or EZ Pure caddy here at WCR for less than $1600. Call me tomorrow if you like and I can run you thru the pros and cons of both systems and we can talk about how they might fit your business. 319-325-9475

Hey Tony there is a reason why this is a forum. Eric placed that question out there for a public response not a private call. That is a very important question that he has and the answer would benefit everyone on this forum. You can answer general questions and am sure you could send him a private email if you choose to.

Wow. I can’t believe you pay $55 a month in rental. I hated paying rental fees so I have bought (4) .50 over the years and they have and will pay for themselves over time. In fact they are on special at WCR for a few more days.

Thanks for pointing that out Randy. :smiley: These specials will expire at the end of this week.

There is also a search feature too. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about these 2 systems and as with all systems the variables can be almost infinite. I and many others have already posted pros and cons. What I was offering Eric was a private walk thru of his own needs. Sometimes a private discussion can help someone more than several varied responses about what works in different areas. My offer would allow him to benefit both ways. I’m also very aware that this is a forum.

Hi all you seasoned 4 stage RO WFPers,

It’s your fair weather friend Eric about a year later with using the EZ Pure during a very light season due to late Northern California rain in the season again. I love my EZ pure because I no longer need to bring my trailer behind my truck. I blew it and didn’t change the carbon filter or DI so I may have blown out my RO’s. Last week I changed the EZ carbon and a week later the EZ DI. I am now thinking about gradually making my short EZ pure into a taller Ettore. If that’s even possible.

HINT! HINT! HINT! Shawn?

I have several hand held HM TDS meters and was wondering if one is giving me a reading that’s different than the other. Like the old saying, "A man that has one clock always knows what time it is but the man that has many is never sure."
I’m wondering if the EZ Pure is giving faulty readings or the meters or if it’s operator error. I flush the RO’s after every job and leave them open for the beginning of the next jobs set up. I don’t hook them up to the pole unless they read below 12 PPM.
I’ve replaced the EZ carbon and a week later the EZ DI. Now it’s fine except when I go to a place that has a well that has TDS above 300 PPM. The pain for me is that in that case I need to bring my trailer with the super big DI tanks instead of the EZ pure RO’s I’ll run my super big DI’s that I still rent. (I need the volume for the pressure washing the mini blinds. Sucks to be me.)
So my questions here are that when it’s time to replace the EZ Carbon and the EZ DI again would I be better off replacing the shorter EZ pure with the taller Ettore or are they incompatible to mix and match with each other?
Do I send them back for some kind of a deposit like a cola bottle or toss them into the land fill?
And How do I know if I need to replace my RO’s?
Napa’s municipal water TDS is about 160 PPM or just below. Wells are anywhere from 250 to 600 PPM but they are only the exception to the rule about every third or fourth week. The lower TDS wells are usually on a filter of some kind. I think mostly sodium filtration.
I have a season where I’m working gradually beginning in April. It’s crazy busy in May threw July and starts slowing in late August to early September.

Hi all you seasoned 4 stage RO WFPers,

It’s your fair weather friend Eric about a year later with using the EZ Pure during a very light season due to late Northern California rain in the season again. I love my EZ pure because I no longer need to bring my trailer behind my truck. I blew it and didn’t change the carbon filter or DI so I may have blown out my RO’s. Last week I changed the EZ carbon and a week later the EZ DI. I am now thinking about gradually making my short EZ pure into a taller Ettore. If that’s even possible.

HINT! HINT! HINT! Shawn?

I have several hand held HM TDS meters and was wondering if one is giving me a reading that’s different than the other. Like the old saying, "A man that has one clock always knows what time it is but the man that has many is never sure."
I’m wondering if the EZ Pure is giving faulty readings or the meters or if it’s operator error. I flush the RO’s after every job and leave them open for the beginning of the next jobs set up. I don’t hook them up to the pole unless they read below 12 PPM.
I’ve replaced the EZ carbon and a week later the EZ DI. Now it’s fine except when I go to a place that has a well that has TDS above 300 PPM. The pain for me is that in that case I need to bring my trailer with the super big DI tanks instead of the EZ pure RO’s I’ll run my super big DI’s that I still rent. (I need the volume for the pressure washing the mini blinds. Sucks to be me.)
So my questions here are that when it’s time to replace the EZ Carbon and the EZ DI again would I be better off replacing the shorter EZ pure with the taller Ettore or are they incompatible to mix and match with each other?
Do I send them back for some kind of a deposit like a cola bottle or toss them into the land fill?
And How do I know if I need to replace my RO’s?
Napa’s municipal water TDS is about 160 PPM or just below. Wells are anywhere from 250 to 600 PPM but they are only the exception to the rule about every third or fourth week. The lower TDS wells are usually on a filter of some kind. I think mostly sodium filtration.
I have a season where I’m working gradually beginning in April. It’s crazy busy in May threw July and starts slowing in late August to early September.