Scatched Glass with my scrapper

There are times where I’ve finished a window and then seen a paint speck or silicone smudge. I take a 1.5" razor and dry scrpae those off. I don’t see the need to wet those spots. In fact it’s quicker and cleaner to do it dry in those cases.

This thread is a really good example of getting a broad view of the science, collective experience, and common sense on a very important topic.
I’m very much enjoying this.

Thats why I love this forum in general :slight_smile:

I suppose I’ve done that too, usually on a ladder or kneeling on a counter top, some place awkward but it’s almost automatic for me to try and get some water even if I just touch the frame where it’s wet, with the razor.

I don’t know how you can say it’s quicker and cleaner though, don’t you detail after scraping? Since I use water I pretty much have to but I use a leather chamois and it out performs microfiber towels by quite a margin, in fact I consider those towels next to useless. Maybe that’s the difference.

On a first clean we wet, scrape, rewet, squeegee, then detail (w/ a scrim which is the best in my opinion). After that if I notice a small speck or silicone smudge I missed then out comes the 1.5" and I touch up (dry otherwise I’d have to repeat some of the steps I listed which of course takes more time).
On a side note we use a PVA towel called the AquaDry for sill clean up which allows our scrim to stay drier and cleaner. The PVA towel is far cheaper than a chamois and does a better job than any chamois I’ve used in the past. You should give them a try.

Update:

well of course i forgot my vid camera over at families house…so no video till monday or so

but i did clean it with Oilflo, no change

then polished it with jewelers rouge and a drill attachment…no change :frowning: