Screens are killing me!

It seems like every other house I fight with getting the screens out. Its the worst. Adds about an hour or so the the job. What do you guys and gals do to make this easier? Is there some tool i need?

Just keep at it, you’ll pick up the tricks to different difficult screens with the more you run into

1 Like

Yeah, screens are a PITA sometimes. I carry a Victorinox Swisstool and use the large ‘screwdriver’ all the time. More stubborn screens call for a sturdy 5-way painter’s tool.

It’s irritating when the brick has bowed up the middle of the vinyl window frame, essentially locking the screen in permanently.

I have perfected the removal of screens from the outside, including side pin and Pella retainers. Muahahaha.

1 Like

I use a paint can opener. Perfect for prying the screens out and has a built in beer bottle opener. All bases are covered.

9 Likes

https://shopwindowcleaningresource.com/skreen-out-screen-tool.html

1 Like

Paint car opener or flat head screw driver is what I use to get them out from the outside . But it does take practice and time to get the hang of them .

I use a set of auto body tools from Harbor Freight. They work well for all the screens I have encountered and don’t mar the screens, frames, or window frame tracks.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

2 Likes

Smart cookie. Duh. I have those…never thought. Good Stuff.

I have a question for you. When you have a job that is in and out do you do the inside first ?
I always did the inside first ( when doing in and out jobs ). The Reasons :

1- If there are screens you can unlock and push them out when doing inside windows. If they are second level we would always bump them out far enough to be able to take them off easily.
2- Less chance of tracking a mess to the inside. Stuff from outside attached to shoes, pants, strip washer, etc.
3- If the customer had a place to be or something to do, they could leave when the inside was done.

Good luck !

1 Like

Paint can opener in my trusty pocket knife works great for me!

I was taught years ago to do the inside first in case water creeps past the ‘seal’ between the windows. It’s absolutely necessary on older windows as I prefer not to throw the ladder up again.

I always do the insides first.

We have a lot vinyl windows up here in Minnesota. I think as the house settles the windows get out of square and the screens get pressure fit in there.

1 Like

So when you can’t get the screen out you just say, !@#! it! I’m getting a beer!

2 Likes

I’m liable to say that even if I get the screens out. It’s always 5 o’clock somewhere…

3 Likes

Try looking from the customers view.
You look more professional when you actually have a tool that is designed to do the job.

1 Like

Sorry but if the customer is judging me by the tool I use to pry screens out, the relationship isn’t likely to work out. Talk about wrong customer base…

3 Likes

I use paint can openers too. I always do the interior panes first too.

1 Like

Personally, I always do outside first. Two reasons - primarily I find it’s better for quality control. I want to see any little detail that I missed on the outside. Basically, customers are always looking out, not in. I want see what they see.
Second - if I’m working in heat, I want to get out if it and into the cool ASAP.
I carry a second pair of shoes exclusive for inside work.

1 Like

UTS105A

1 Like

Thanks! …I see that you used to be in the trades. I’m a union drywall finisher and can’t wait to be a full time window cleaner! How did you make the transition to full time wc?