Screens

I’m a newbie so bear with me. I have a question about how to deal with screens. I have a house with double hung windows that have screens that cover the entire window. They can only be removed from the inside. I usually work alone, so what is the best way for me to remove them and where do I put them while I’m cleaning the windows?

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hey Shadycharacter,[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I work alone too. First I run around the house and unlatch one clip on each screen. This takes about 15 minutes not a big deal. I have a clip attached to my ladder with an old shoe lace. When I clean the outside window the screen comes off and gets clipped to the ladder.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I like to wash the screens. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Sometimes I toss them to the ground like a Frisbee if I feel comfortable doing so. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Then I’ll carry them, up the ladder with me when I wash the window.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Sometimes I clean them while I am on the ladder if they are really not bad.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Sometimes I carry them out of the house, my least favorite option.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I never clean the screens inside a home, some of us do. It’s your choice.

Thanks for the reply. Do you charge additional for the screen cleaning or is it included in your price?

I charge $3.00 a screen. They do not get a choice. If the sceens are left uncleaned the window isn’t clean!!! It doesn’t make sense to put a dirty screen on a clean window. My personal opinion. :cool:

Doesn’t feel professional to me. In addition, there is risk of damage to the screen/frame.

Is that done safely (three points of contact?)

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Like I said Larry “if I feel comfortable”! Not to high and customer isn’t watching me work.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Yes, Totally safe! 2 feet on ladder and waist up close and tight to ladder. No leaning out.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hey Larry,[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]On a more positive note, how do you clean screens?[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]You’re the man when it comes to screens! :cool:[/FONT][/COLOR]

Professionalism is dependent upon being watched?

Are you saying your waist is the third point of contact? I’m having trouble envisioning screen cleaning in that position.

Sorry you felt my earlier post should have been more positive.

If you think I’m the man when it comes to screens, you must already know how I clean them. :wink:

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hey Larry,[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I am back from cleaning windows. Here is my reply with my original post.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Sometimes I toss them to the ground like a Frisbee if I feel comfortable doing so. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I would feel comfortable if the window is on the first floor and if a second floor window has a nice lawn with no dangerous things to hit. I would not recommend flinging peoples screens out of third floor windows onto their pool patios where the screen could hit a stone wall or a piece of iron patio furniture.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Sometimes I clean them while I am on the ladder if they are really not bad.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I clean the outside while the screen is in place on the window with a strip washer, then I flip the screen around and clean the inside surface using a strip washer. To finish I take the screen off the window and wipe it down in front of me with a damp terry cloth towel. Once the screen and edges are wiped down it goes on my clip to finish drying. When I am done cleaning the window it goes back where it was. This method does a fine job as long as the screen was not badly soiled. [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Does that sound like a safety issue? ;)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Sometimes I carry them out of the house, my least favorite option.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Don’t forget to mark the screens top edge with a sharpie pen so you know which window it belongs to. The screens may look the same size but sometimes they’re not.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Fourth choice not mentioned before is going up the ladder to get the screen off the window, bring it down to clean it and then bringing it back up the ladder when I clean the window. I do this more often than I’d like too.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Also, some guys spread a drop cloth inside the home and clean them there. I like to use a lot of water so this method doesn’t work for me.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]PS[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Almost forgot. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Larry, [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]You’re right I don’t know how you actually clean a screen but I do know that your special soap is awesome, and hot water does make a difference. Thanks for telling us your trade secret here on this forum.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I use a screen clip so I can clean the window and then put the screen back on.

Tony,
I mentioned the screen clip. :wink:

I saw that Mike. Just saying what I did.:slight_smile:

So I’m in good company. :wink:

No, no, I’m in good company.:wink:

I typically collect all screens together and carry them outside. If first-story screens are extremely soiled, I place them immediately outside when I remove them. Never from a second-story for the reasons I first mentioned.

Sounds like a rinse (as in none) issue.

Not me – that was Lance Golden from AZ.

Can you clean 20 screens in one hour, including taking them down and putting them back?

Yep.

[FONT=Verdana]Thank you for your frank criticism of my screen cleaning method. I really do hate criticism. However if you are right I need to change my method.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I asked you if you can clean 20 screens in one hour including taking screens out and putting them back for a reason. Thank you for your response.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I charge $3.00 per screen for my method. It takes me about 3 minutes per screen. So…I’m thinking if I do everything the long and thorough way I will average well over 3 minutes per screen. I am trying to average $60.00 an hour. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I learned my method on another forum from people I respect. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1. I don’t have to gather all the screens and carry them outside.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2. I don’t have to mark them all with a sharpie pen.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3. I don’t have to carry them all back into the house and figure out where they belong.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]4. I don’t have to hose them all down and wait for them to dry.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]So… I’m thinking Larry. How much time am I actually saving?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1. I usually float the screen out the window. (very quick)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2. When I get to that window during the outside window cleaning, I clean it with a dedicated strip washer (I use Tide with bleach alternative in a separate bucket.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3. I knock most of the water off the screen with a huck towel (I try to hit mostly the frame with it not the screen).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3. I wipe down the screen material with a damp terry cloth towel.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]4. Detail all the edges with the same towel.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]5. Clean the window.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]6. Replace the screen immediately. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]So…. I’m thinking Larry. How much longer would it take me to do it the more professional way?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Let’s remember our business is about time and money.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]My customers are all upper middle class people who live near a major city.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Perhaps I should raise my screen cleaning price.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Or can I leave it were it is, and just change my method. :)[/FONT]

This might be the real problem.

Against my better judgment, I am considering offering discounts for people who just let me leave the screen in place and wfp the whole window that way. I know the results are poor, but I really want to set up some residential route work. It seems like the best way to grow.

[FONT=Verdana]Larry, [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I was thinking about this dialog we are having about screens, today. If a customer saw me float a couple screens out her window and she didn’t like it would she complain to me about it? Probably not. They almost never complain, they just go away. Image is everything. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Thanks Larry. :cool:[/FONT]