Scrim grades?

Hey guys,

This is my second post on this forum, long time reader though; it’s like I know everyone here already! I hope I can help with the wealth of information here. I’ll post an introductory post later on in the newbie section :slight_smile:

I was just wondering if anyone knew the difference with scrim grades and if it affects how well the scrim performs? I haven’t used scrim at all yet, but I am planning on getting some for my new business. Thing is, no one ships internationally (I’m an Aussie - any Aussies here?) and the only thing I can find is some guy on ebay from the UK selling grade 2 Irish scrim.

So basically, I’m not really sure what I should do about this. Buy the grade 2 and give it a shot or keep on my search to find someone that will ship me some scrim?

Cheers for reading guys, looking forward to helping everyone out!

Joel

We will ship to you. All you need to do is email your order to me me include your ship to address and what you want. We will work up a shipping quote for you.

You would pay via paypal… and we would ship it right out to you.

Grade 2 is basically a courser grade - It won’t last as long either. Grade 1, pre washed for me everytime.

Yeah, but this is the Irish Scrim ,Karl, so it probably soaks 3 times its weight and cusses at you for no apparent reason:D

…and I hope you’re all pre-soaking scrim in Guinness?

DON’T DO IT! :eek:

+1

My post has disappeared !!

Cheers guys, thanks for the heads up. Thought I read somewhere that the grade 2 was softer, and hence didn’t have as long a lifespan… but I’ll get my hands on some grade 1 scrim asap then.

Thanks for that Chris, I’ve sent you an email.

As I posted earlier you can get Scrim from these guys Complete Cleaning Supplies (02) 9516 5577
Not sure what grade as I did not realise there were different grades - its very soft if that is any indication.

Cheers guys, I ended up getting one from one of my mates who had a spare. I boiled and washed it, used it a couple of days and had to also overlock some of the edges cause the seam was dodge. Was just wondering though, it’s definitely heaps absorbent, but it does leave lint behind if I’m buffing out a mark on the window - is scrim not made for this? Is it just a one-way kind of wipe only to not leave lint? Still kinda new to it all…

When you buy a scrim from WCR, it comes with washing & drying instructions. I think you fouled up on either washing or the way you dried it. There should not be any lint. If you do find this happening, make it slightly moist & it will take the lint off. Dabbing the scrim on the wet applicator will achieve this.

Thanks Karlos. Yeah I don’t know what happened, that could be the reason. I did wash it a few (2) times and let it spin in the machine (not in the dryer) and just hung it up to drip dry. I broke it in and I also boiled it, cause that’s what my friend said he did (maybe this is why?).

It’s funny you know cause sometimes it will leave a heap of lint, but other times it will leave next to none (often when it’s a little damp as you said). Was any of what I did terribly different from the instructions? I’m guessing it could also be the rag itself, like it’s not really scrim or something…

You don’t really need to boil them - the older type scrim (10 years back you had to - but hey it was far better then!). I always take a new one out each day, I find if you carry on for days at a time it will pick up enough dirt with the static you create from rubbing. Funnily enough on hotter days I see this increase. Don’t be afraid to use it moist to damp - this is how scrim was initially used. Some still soak it in the bucket & wring it by circling a few times then squeezing before flicking the apprentice guys leg - then getting to work.
The learning curve is knowing how moist to use it & when the mark spot is dry - definitely use it slightly moist. You can even flick the window with the end of the scrim to remove wet trails & become an expert marksman!

Maybe I’ll use a scrim to kick Alex’s ass in Reno.

Now that’s funny. I’m just sayin…

Why not? I am still at a loss as to why a scrim needs to be 2 or 3 feet square. Does the magic drain out if it is cut? Ok, I am being frivolous but I used them 20 years ago and the man I learned from used one that was the size of a surgical towel. I would like to take the one I have and cut it in 4 pieces then hem the cut edges so it doesn’t fray.

Sorry it’s taken me a while to answer - been busy :slight_smile:

The size is preferable for these reasons:
One cloth for the whole day (not possible with half scrim).
It drys out quicker being a bigger piece of material & not a small cloth.
It is usually used double folded for thickness & ease of use.
It can be wrapped double folded on the end of your scrim & held at the other end to detail windows (no fouling of window).
It can be thrown on the shoulder & held there.
If you use it in a belt it will dry out quicker.
Inside use for protection on floors.
Open-able windows can be held with the scrim in place catching all drips (there’s a knack). Also can be trapped in closed windows for same effect!
Great sill cloth if you utilise 2.
Less chance of forgetting them on the job.
Scrim french panes two at a time.
Used as a bandana when it’s hot (soak first to cool down).

Its a multi-use tool as well, there are many other applications because of it’s size.
They make it in this size for a reason!