Scrim problem

Is anyone else having this problem with their scrim? On all the edges that I wipe I’m getting a lint line almost looks like a smear,and yes the towels are clean. Sorry no pics the ones I took didn’t show it very well.

How are you drying them? If its in the dryer then that may be the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as a matter of fact it is in the dryer, I’ll try just an open air dry.

I’ve actually been having this issue, fleshly cleaned and air dried… very annoying. I still love my green hucks.

The Wet Scrim Gem Revealed - YouTube

I’m trying this tomorrow, can’t get lint if it ain’t dry.

Hang them outside, air dry. They get kind of hard, but absorb water great. And no lint

try the above link.

Yes, familiar with it and although it’s way too much hassle to do this, I do love when my scrim becomes damp from use.

I’ve never tried it , here’s what I’m gonna do , just took my 3 scrims outta the washer after a spin dry gonna put one in the middle and wrap the other 2 around it and the middle one should be good for in the morning… ( maybe )

[MENTION=327]Dangerous[/MENTION]
Thanks for the vid.

Keep me updated on this issue bro…I have two scrims and because of them leaving lint, I do not even use them to detail with anymore. Very annoying.

I just got my first scrims in last week, was having the same problem. I thought is was because they needed to be broken in more. They havent been machine dried either.

Most certainly will, everyone seems to love the scrim but we don’t seem to know how to use it properly. Myself included

No offense, but it’s not rocket science. I’m leaning towards the side of scrim not being as great as everyone makes it out to be.

scrims vary a lot from batch to batch. all scrims work best once broken in which can take a few weeks . some of mine are still not up to scratch after months of use -these are more of a straw grey color and stiffer

Oh none taken, but there is obviously a right and a wrong way to use the scrim as with anything else, and it seems that most of us are using it dry and that maybe the wrong way. You could be right about it not being that great I just want to make sure I explore all possible avenues before I throw in the towel ( no pun intended ) because there are ALOT of people praising it so there must be something they know that I don’t.

yeah I got 2 news ones and 1 pretty old one

If memory serves me right, I don’t remember having issues with it after I first got it. I don’t know if I’m just noticing it more now or what, but I’ve never machine dried the thing and its leaving lint on the glass. So back to hucks I went.

scrim works well because the strands have a roughness that picks off marks well and scrims are not woven,the strands are laid down flat . As i say each batch varies, last time i bought some i happened to be in a supply store and the latest had just arrived on a pallet of maybe 500 ,all in packets of 10 . i could see they were a slightly different shade of grey from my previous scrims. i bought a 10 pack nontheless and they turned out to be tougher but not as good as my others
i have about 25 scrims ,shared over 4 workers. if we used a seperate cloth for sills and frames it would make for less wasteage of dirty scrim in the days work,but instead we keep it simple,using the scrim for everything . 1 of my workers prefers to always use a scrim that has been discarded earlier in the day by somebody else,im not sure why that is,but it keeps amount of the washing down. i probably wash about 10 scrims each evening and they air dry overnight on a rack at the foot of my stairs
Last year i employed a lad who in 1 day for some crazy reason used up all my scrim pile in a single day (25 scrims) , i wasnt best pleased ,although the glass was cleaned my girlfriend had a marathon washing session to do that night !

I think most seasoned users go through 1, maybe 2 scrims a day on a really dirty job. Only ever use 2 fingers or less in a scrim - they are principally for detailing. If the glass is dry with minimal drip pick-up, use a damp part. If the glass still has quite a bit of water, use a dry part. As mentioned, using a scrim in the dryer will “charge” the cloth full of static - this is maybe why you are seeing lint transferred to the glass even after a wash. If the problem persists, use a damp part then a dry part to remove lint.

Before the squeegee, they used a whole hand in a wet scrim then a dry scrim to clean windows. Try it! You’ll still see lint due to modern washing methods. I know window cleaners who have never machined washed their scrim, they just swirl it round in the water & hang it off their vehicle on the way to the next job. I personally use the highest temperature on the machine with little or no powder. Never use fabric conditioner.

I’ve found experienced window cleaners take to scrim straight away, whereas new comers to window cleaning tend to take longer to “get” the scrim. I did mention before your scrim should be like it’s been hung in a sauna for 2 minutes (with the obviously funny replies) - but you get my drift - not soaking wet, but just slightly damp. Others run theirs over the T-bar & then wring to transfer the dampness throughout the towel. Hope this helps.