Sectional, Extention, or Little Giant

I’d go with extenion ladders if I could only pick one. I’ve used sectionals and I just don’t feel comfortable on them. Its been a couple years since I used them but I remember them seeming a little narrower and I don’t like the round rungs.

Same height as 3 - 6 foot sections and an 8 foot top section. The combination I use the most.

Ya, they are definitely narrower than extension ladders, which is a good thing, and for sure the round rungs can be a bear on your feet if you’re on them all day long. You just have to wear the appropriate footwear with stiffer soles.

Sectionals are like the sporty small european car, and extension ladders are like the big old clunky comfortable american car.

For sure a personal preference.

Who wants to talk about what kind of soap they prefer? Oh wait. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would have to say that from the video, they seem worth it just because of the light weight. I may have to try one out. Next on my list is definitely a WFP, but maybe a sectional will be after that.

Used em all, and you better believe extensions are the fastest way to go. By the time you’ve set up and taken down your stacks I’ve already done 4 sets of windows. I can take my 20-footer off the truck and be climbing in about 1/4 of the time that it takes to unstack, re-stack, haul around, and set up the stacks.

Each has it’s place.

Stacks and LG’s are nice because anyone can haul em around, and the LG can set up on inside stuff that an extension or stack can’t, especially if you have a pair and do chandeliers over stairwells.

I would have to go with the LG first… I think I’m getting “wiser” as I get older. Easy of carrying and storing fits great in the back of my Dakota. Extention ladder next 24’ and 32’ are on the wall and ready to carry when needed. (maybe time for a WFP). I have not used a sectional ladder, I have come accross a few jobs were neither LG or extention ladder would not work but a sectional might have. (I spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out how I could clean that “last” window… finally did though…)

If you think it is faster to use extension ladders than sectional ladders you probably do not know how to use a set of sectionals efficiently. They are definitely faster; unless of course you don’t know how to use them correctly. Do yourself a favor and watch someone with experience fly around a house with a set of sectionals.

Okay everybody, we’re all invited to Mike’s place! :smiley:

Oh goody a roadtrip. Shotgun!:smiley:

I work with “stacks” guys every day, and between us we have over 40 years of experience. By the time they unload 4 sections of ladders and set em up, my one piece of climbing equipment is on it’s second climb.

If I had to choose one type to use. Sectionals all the way. As Seth said “there build for window cleaners” I cant agree more. All the others will fail long before a section ladder will. Less moving parts I suppose.

Yesterday you said you’d be on the fourth window. You must be slowing down. :smiley:

It’s not all about speed for me, especially when talking about ladders, even though I think sectionals are just as fast to set up and if not faster.

Sectionals are way more versatile than extension ladders. They can get into many more positions and many more places that an extension can’t, and were made with window cleaners in mind.

I’ve had some sections for over ten years. Last year I changed the rubber feet (a few years later than I should have), and I just changed out some rivets that came out a couple weeks ago.

[quote=LegacyWindowsUT;64
638]By the time you’ve set up and taken down your stacks I’ve already done 4 sets of windows.[/quote]

There’s no setting them up and taking them down. They go up the side of the house of in the air and stay up. I move from window to window with the ladder up. Sometimes I need to add a half piece for a window that is higher than the others because of the landscaping but that takes under a minute no big deal. Perhaps the guys you are working with do not know all the in’s and out’s of using sectional ladders efficiently. I’ve been using sectionals for 15 years and I’m still learning because I’m self taught. Every time I see some old timers with sectionals I’ll stop to watch so I can pick up some new tricks. There is a new video out by Joel Andrews. He has a section on sectional ladders and I learned quite a bit considering how long I have been using them. I’d say if your stack friends are not moving as fast or faster than you something is wrong.

Sorry for the rant on my last post. I edited it.

Ah, yes, but I was taking into account set and take down time, thereby doubling the time factor. :wink:

Can’t argue with the versatility, although an LG is more versatile than an extension by far, so coupled with an extension just about anything can be done. Never met a window I couldn’t clean with the pair on my vehicle, other than the occasional one that not even a set of stacks can do.

Don’t sectionals only go up, like an extension?

What about a house with multiple decks or other obstructions? Don’t you then have to take sections off and back on to keep moving around?

No worries, man. I’ve got thick skin. :slight_smile:

Wait a minute…

I just found out that I’m debating with the MWCoA WCoY, The Sandwich Monster, Seth Fensterstock. Way outta my league here… I concede… :smiley:

Congrats!!!

Oh, puhleeeze. :smiley:

I would never tell anybody to switch using a tool if they are comfortable with what they are already using. Especially since new tools cost $$.

All the different type of ladders have their place for sure. I just prefer sectionals. They are my go to ladder of choice for their versatility.

Now, if every house was level and straight up, I’d use extension ladders exclusively because of their comfort and stability.

Nice job, Seth, on being WCoY. I couldn’t even win that in my own house!

Ya if I’m working my way around the second floor of a house sometimes the height does need adjusting but not on every window. Maybe two or three times, no big deal. Extension ladders need to be lowered to move from one window to the next, right?

I think ya really have to see a professional using a set of sectionals to appreciate them.