Seems a lot of Newbes jumping in the window game

Maybe its the economy or maybe it’s just me. It seems to me that there are more newbes jumping into the game this year. Am I wrong? For the new guy who is jumping in. Good luck, work hard and do quality work and you will be fine. But if you think this business is one that is going to beat out this economy your wrong. Pick another. It’s no differant then any other business other then start up costs. This is not a money maker over night.

It’s almost Spring, Juggernaut. with all the newly unemployed, there will be loads of guys and gals thinking, “I can do that”. It will be about June before they realise that, ’ I can do that, but I knew there was no money in it"
Think of it this way, they make you look really , really good

Well I always look good lol.

“It’s better to look good, then to feel good” - Fernando Lamas

LOL

I just thought it was interesting because I don’t think I have seen as many newbes pop up on the boards in the last two years, this early in the game. I have no problems with them, just an observation that could be well off base.

I think so too.
I think there should be rules on which questions that [I]can be[/I] and should [I][U]not[/U] be asked. [/I]
[B]Party fouls[/B] to anyone asking
"how much would you charge for this"
or “dawn -v- joy”

Or maybe have a separate sub-forum for the “new guy” questions. I don’t know…just seems as though I see the same questions over and over again.

Sorry newbies I don’t want to come off in a bad way. Sometimes I still feel like the “new guy” because I’m always learning something new.
Search the forum for your questions. Do some homework before you start throwing out questions. I bet you’ll find the answers you’re looking for. If not, then ask away. There is a unbelievably amount of knowledge here. This is one of the best resource centers you’re going to find.

You too were a newbie once…I think everyone should cut’em some slack.

I think a lot of people are getting layed off and are looking for quick cash. I’m not worried about more people getting in the game, like someone said, they will really help me look good.

Trial by fire. Good luck to people starting off.

Agreed Stark!

Maybe we could put together a little list of the best posts for newbies to start reading. I could link them all to one place if anyone has any suggestions. Or we could do a newbie subforum and sticky a bunch of the best threads in there…

Ideas anyone?

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I was on another forum for well over two years before I said a word. The newbies should be reading, researching. I used to cut and past all the best stuff and organize it into folders on my computer, so I could find it. We could simply direct them to threads that have already been writen. Show them how to use the internet to gather information.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Don’t get me wrong. It is nice to welcome people on board. It’s nice to give them a word of encouragement.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I’m with Matt on this one, we were all there once. When I was just getting started i’m surprised Uncle Phil didn’t change his phone number cause I asked the same questions over and over again. Yeah they can search the board, but maybe they’re wanting a little more info than previously disussed.

I just want to get this out there. I have no problems with any newbes. I’ll always try and help when I can. My point was that I have also noticed in my local newspaper more handyman ads. Has anyone else seen anything like that? I think many who have been laid off or fired have decided to go on their own or maybe HAVE TO go on their own. Either way it’s just something I have noticed. I think many of the handyman, people will be having in their homes over the next few years, will be from this economy.

This applies to veterans as well.

I too am w/ Stark on this one! I actually think it’s great that they are choosing to be active members of the forum and not just lurking. The only dumb question is the one that isn’t asked. If you’re worried they will be your competition then don’t share info you feel could be used against you in your market. Of course to me the lurkers are more of a threat to you in that regard.

Great Idea. That’s what I was trying to express.

Certainly a sub-forum would be a great idea for those basic learning questions. I have personally made great efforts to do searches for certain topics, but it does pull up everything that has been posted from general threads. A tab that can direct me straight to those “Newbie” questions would be great!

You all are getting to know me fairly well, simply because I not only ask questions, but I do share my opinions too, even known for tossing out a grenade or two and then running for cover! :o)

So here goes one of those opinions …
From reading the many posts here, no doubt there are many professional window cleaners that have been in the business for a long time, that do not necessarily do quality work, nor do they present themselves in a professional manner. But even so, from what many of you have shared, they too manage to find some work, maybe customer loyalty, maybe low prices, whatever. So … there is room for the newbies who are willing to work hard, give quality work, have the perseverance to endure the hard times not only in this economy but in general business building.

So … in regards to “Think of it this way, they make you look really, really good.” Maybe and maybe not! Good competition will keep you on your toes. If you are not giving your best, you just might find that the newbie, makes you look really really bad!

I can’t tell you if I am going to make it or not, be able to persevere the distance. I can promise quality while I try, but if any “Newbie” thinks that running a successful window cleaning business simply means cleaning a window, they are wrong and wont last very long.

I have a personal little mission statement that I strive to live by. One of the things listed in my mission statement is, “Intentionally add value to every person you meet.” It has been my experience, that many of you also live by this guide because … The support, the encouragement, the eagerness to help out this newbie, is priceless. Thank you so much!

Joie ~ N. CA

The fact is, Newbie’s lack certain skills, training, techniques and so forth…if they did know all that, they wouldn’t be a newbie. SO because of those things they will destroy themselves if all they do is just go out and clean windows.

Workmanship will be terrible, customer service will fail and the business side will implode…that will make the people who know what they’re doing look like saints.

I know I gave a lot of people a run for their money when I started, but I had cleaned windows for 4+ years before I started my own business.

This is sent with my greatest warm wishes, hugs, all in good spirit and laughter, as I couldn’t resist the temptation! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=stark;35790]The fact is, Newbie’s lack certain skills, training, techniques and so forth…if they did know all that, they wouldn’t be a newbie. (Joie comments, this is [B]TRUE[/B])

SO because of those things they will destroy themselves if all they do is just go out and clean windows. (Joie comments, this is [B]partly TRUE[/B] mixed with a lot of [B]PRESUMPTION[/B])

Workmanship will be terrible, customer service will fail and the business side will implode…(Joie comments, this is [B]PRESUMPTION[/B]) that will make the people who know what they’re doing look like saints. (Joie comments, [B]Saints? Extremely PRESUMPTUOUS![/B])

I know I gave a lot of people a run for their money when I started, but I had cleaned windows for 4+ years before I started my own business. (Joie’s comment, [B]“Some people are just slower than others, they can’t help it.”)[/B] :wink:

Definition of Presumption: (1)The act of presuming, or believing upon probable evidence; the act of assuming or taking for granted; [B]belief upon incomplete proof.[/B] (2) Ground for presuming; evidence probable, [B]but not conclusive[/B] (3) The act of venturing beyond due bounds; an overstepping of the bounds of reverence, respect, or courtesy; forward, overconfident, or arrogant opinion or conduct; presumptuousness; arrogance; effrontery.
(Joie’s comment, "But I still love you anyway! [B]Even the Saints, are not perfect! :D[/B])

Joie ~ N. CA

I have no problem with newbies, I was one too at one time as we all were. Question is how many of them are getting into the trade to be a professional vs a lowballing splash-and-dasher? With the economy the way it is and how easy it is to get into the trade we are going to see more lowballers just trying to bring in a few bucks to help pay the bills. Sure they will make the pro look great but as a whole they make the industry look bad. We already have enough lowballers we don’t need anymore.

If a newbie is looking at wcing as a career, I’m sure any os us veterans here would be happy to answer any questions. If not, they are just wasting our time, pretty much. Thing is we don’t know the difference. So yes I am all for a newbie list of must read material.

Keep in mind also the wfp is bringing in alot more newbies that think it’s as simple as that.

Is there more newbies now? I don’t notice a difference.

I remember way back 3 years ago on NWCD, right around spring we would have a flurry of new guys join. They would ask questions and disappear in a month (not saying they failed, just left)

I think because of all the layoffs it seems logical, but I don’t think it is factual.

I admire anyone with the sack to start a business (as long as it is an ethical business)

even in my town there have been a few new guys attempting to start up, and many have asked me questions while im working. good luck to them, its hard to get a biz up and running in a small town, im entering my 3rd summer on my own and im still not where I want to be.

““Sure they will make the pro look great but as a whole they make the industry look bad. We already have enough lowballers we don’t need anymore.””

Half of our “competition” has always been the homeless guy, so our image probably can’t get more tarnished with newbies, we need to worry that the homeless guy doesn’t learn to market himself better!:smiley: