Should I be dropping a customer?

I hear you. Just 6 years ago I was charging 3/pane in east tn. It’s what most around me were and I did ok on it. Fast forward to the present, I’m usually 5+ and do fine.

My suggestion for you, move your pricing up immediately to 4.50-5 on all new bids. Don’t worry about existing customers and changing their prices just yet. Wait until you get a build up of new ones and then decide if you want to bump them, if you do at all. Try to get past worrying when you leave a bid. Vegas has plenty of money floating around, so get yourself some.

3 Likes

When a customer starts picking and choosing which windows to clean over a set price (either a price they want to pay or a limit they won’t go over), that’s when you end the discussion by saying you only do whole house cleans, not partial cleans. It’s not worth it because you’ll get exactly what happens - nitpicking over little things. Also, if your gut tells you don’t do it - DON’T DO IT. I had a bid this week for over $1000 on a house all with TDL windows. Pains in the ass more like it. I passed and recommended another company. My sanity is worth more.

1 Like

@jbellar I just published my website ( windowguysvegas.com ) and plan to use repsonsibid but I’m afraid it’ll turn into the client only pricing out certain windows etc. I may add that I only clean full homes exterior and /or interior, as you suggested.
@TexasRich thanks. Your advice is much appreciated and I’ll calling the awesome guys that are local and willing to help a new fella. This site is freakin’ awesome. I spent so much time working around people that were on the same team but wanted to pull you down to their level instead of rise to yours or rise with you.

I’d appreciate the opportunity to visit. give me a call at your convenience.
Ron 702-868-8847
or email if that’s easiest. [email protected]

Personally, I don’t mind partial cleans if it meets my minimum. I have several lake houses that have me do a complete clean once a year. Then, three maybe four times a year they call for just the lowers around the porches and entertainment areas. Make a couple of hundred dollars or more for less than two hours work.

If they just want you to do the hard windows, just make sure the bill reflects it. What do I care as long as I get paid what I ask?

2 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about. I would love that.

Oh :poop:, so you’re gonna open a can of worms in that rabbit hole, eh?
Mwuhahahahaha! :crazy_face: She’s got you now! :rofl: Just Kidding

:

1 Like

@TexasRich you think 4.50-5 per pane? What about inside? I need to get back to the national double hung post.

I would aim for 5/pane. That’s inside and outside for me. Factor in your cost of living.

Definitely check out the pricing thread. That will help you find out what your market will bear.

1 Like

Check out this thread also.

1 Like

I was reading that one just a minute ago and this one on different pricing for different levels:

I want to keep it simple and have one price as I do believe it’ll all balance out, except for those Frenchies!!! I just cut down my moerman channel for them.

Get yourself a bunch of cheap 18” pulex aluminum channels and the $40 metal cutoff saw from HarborFreight. Spend a couple hours and cut down channels between 5” and 12.5” in 1/4” increments (the channels are 17.5” long and you’ll get two blades from each channel). This’ll save ya a bunch of time down the road if you run into divided lights often :wink:

1 Like

I have a minimum as well, if they choose to only have that minimum met, then I have time to book another job that day. Pay is pay.

4 Likes

Reminds me of what happened a few years ago…

I don’t feel nearly as bad. That’s nuts! I have only two clients with Pella/storm windows and hope they are all I ever get.

I would of charged $1200 for that job. Holy shit. Your probably new and thats ok. Learn from this and don’t feel the need to cater to people like that. I ised to have issues like this too. We all did

So I’m here at the house. She shows me 5 windows I left steaks and stops on. The seals are leaking/blown. I show her by touching the glass and she sees the stuff is in between the pains. She says, I want them redone, in not convinced. I agree to redo them and leave street I bought finish the one glass I needed to redo, the iron lattice in front of the window. She then locks the house and takes her kids, she tells me that she forgot she had carpool today and will be back in an hour and a half, it’s 15 minutes of work. I’m sitting here waiting to do the one piece I tally needed to do and she’d to redo but she wanted to wait these two weeks. I’m little irritated right now… Definitely will not answer her call again.
Here’s the update just finished. Clean six pieces and glass In 2 hours and 52 minutes. I will go to h e double hockey stick for the feelings I have inside right now. But I remain very professional and nice the whole time. I know I screwed myself over for the sake of customer service.

4 Likes

Nobody wants a bad review but if you search around on the forum you can find how other people have responded to bad reviews.

2 Likes

You fulfilled your obligation. Next time she calls, tell her you don’t have any room on the schedule for her. If she asks why, you can be honest or just tell her that you just don’t have time for the type of work she wants done.

Truth be told, she won’t call you this year anyway. It will be 2-4 years before you get the call. Make a note in your quickbooks to never service her gain. Label her number do not service, in your phone.

4 Likes

Yeah Dude…that’s why I left my job after 15 plus years…the STRESS wasn’t worth it. And congrats on riding that headache through. Now you have killer response for any reviews and you get respects for your integrity. Sleep well tonight my friend. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like