Silquat 3152 for Soap and Seal?

Soap and Seal was only a generic name that I came up with for a custom product that would seal the glass as we clean. So once the glass had been polished with either a cerium or a silica compound a Soap and Seal product would link up with the glass surface acting as a barrier to the chemical attack of atmospheric water vapor. Here is a chemical I just received from Siltech called Silquat 3152. Here is the link.

Silicone Quaternary Compounds – Silquat – Siltech Corporation J2-B

Unfortunately it is hydrophobic but it does seal. And it takes absolutely no extra time to apply. It goes right in your cleaning solution. So you just Soap and Seal.

Henry

I wonder how J15 would compare to MWH sealer? This work trip Ive been getting my technique dialed in using liquidators/excelerators with very light pressure as most of my resi glass is sealed annually with MWH. They stay looking so good from quarter to quarter & require very little water to remove the light dirt. Although usually a very light residue or a few edge lines are left post-squeegeeing. I love how slick the glass though and how well it accepts a tight-knit microfiber to remove any haze. Thats the balance i feel a hydrophobic sealant needs to give, is due to lack of slip and potential residue/lines left after squeegeeing can you quickly wipe it with a towel without it grabbing & leaving lint…Interested if siltech j2-b you received can accept a towel easily or not after application? I say that because, of the hydrophobic sealants suspended in solution Ive used in the past (3star & abc protect-on) both made detailing the edges very difficult afterward because the surface was/felt so rough…complete opposite with MWH sealer. Anyways, always many thanks for your posts Henry!

I would say it would be nice to have some kind of a tool to measure surface roughness.

This would be good for testing surfaces in general. I have discovered that surface roughness varies too according to what we are testing it with. A huck might show a rough surface but a dry metal blade on a dry treated surface might be very smooth or not. I know there is a science to this. And I am studying it now. It will be a big part of some articles I will be writing. Not for my blog. Your contributions along these lines will prove very valuable.

Thanx,

Henry

1 Like