So my new guy is 25 minutes late

So I hired a new guy on friday that is supposed to start today. He is supposed to be at the office by 8:00am. It is 8:25am today and he is still not here. My thought is to send him packing when he gets here. Although, he has 15 years experiance and that is not easy to come by. Although, they are the most stuck in their ways and often hardest to deal with. What do you think?

3 strikes he’s out.

Late the first day? Automatic termination! Out the door with him… If he cares this much on his first day of work, imagine how much he will care in a couple of weeks.

lemme know how it goes

Okay, after arriving 40 minutes late, we began to talk and one of the first things he tells me is that he does not want to sign a non-compete because he is still a dba. He calls me asking for a job because he does not have work and then he is making conditions to me. I sent him out with one of my guys, because I wanted to see what this guy could do. I am having issues with one of my other employees and I need to have back up if things go bad. It is not a good place to be in.

refuses to sign a no compete, you better watch your butt…:eek:

To me he seems already scetchy. I probably would look for someone else. You don’t need anyone trying to take your work later on down the road and already giving you problems with the little stuff. I havn’t hired anyone but will be looking soon. If this was going on with me I would have to let him go.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Have you ever heard of a red flag? Sometimes they are small and you need to be on the ball to see the small warning signs, but they are [U]always[/U] there. Trust your gut![/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Have you ever seen a football game on TV and they’re running around the field at half time with those huge American flags? Well just imagine this guy running around your work vehicle with a HUGE RED FLAG. Get the picture. In your gut what do you think you should do? [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I say cut the bad apples loose early and save yourself a lot of aggravation. Just my opinion based on over 30 years experience working with cleaners. :cool:[/FONT][/COLOR]

i concur

[FONT=“Arial Black”][SIZE=“5”][CENTER]Quit Painting Your Red Flags Green!!![/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT]

Seriously though. It is easier to train someone with no experience. Were not dealing with rocket science. Guys that are overqualified can make executive decisions with out your permission that may screw you in the end.

Someone new will call you and say, “what should I do?”

With the right systems and checklists in place you don’t have to hire people with lots of experience who think they are worth more than they really are.

I would tell the guy to kick rocks.

But that’s just me.

Seriously, Didn’t you learn anything from your big brother? Remember Bill W.?
Ok. there you go…

wtf?

Sounds like you may get a few days or weeks out of this guy. You may want to cut your losses now. If you can’t make it to your first day on time, what will the future hold. Every morning will be frustrating for you, wondering if you will have a no show. Get someone with a good work ethic and treat him/her well, and there should be little worries.

Steven

sorry, went to the wrong guy…

Seriously, Didn’t you learn anything from your big brother? Remember Bill W.?
Ok. there you go…

Eagerness to work [I]trumps[/I] experience!

Are you talking about Dr. Bob’s homie from New York???

The minute he said no to a noncompete he’d have been out the door. The longer he works for you the more of your work he’ll be likely to take away.

Do not let they guy back in your door!!! Experience nothing, your asking for trouble with him. I had a guy with 20 plus years experience start work for me, worked 2 days called in 5 days so we fired him although he begged to come back to wrk. Last week I read in the paper he was busted in a huge Cocaine ring. Trust your gut!!! Experience is not always a good thing. Try to find a guy or girl eager to work and learn. Train them to be what you want and to do things your way. CUT YOUR LOSSES NOW or you are certainly going to get burned.

I have only had bad luck with anyone with experiance, hired two this year and had to fire both . It took some for it to sink into my head they are more of a pain in the ssa
than they are worth ! Late the first day and no phone call Fired. I will only wait 15 min. unless they call, My customer is more important than a late new employee so I will do the job by myself.