Squeegee straight pull slop

The video is the correct method. If you try this method and get streaks or lines you just need a little more practice. This method is quicker because when you learn it you don’t have to detail the top at all. This is important on large commercial jobs with tons of glass, where detailing every window would cost you a lot of time.

I have used this method for years except I swipe to the left before I swipe right so the left top edge is dry as well. Swiping the top before you begin your pulls will remove all the water from the top edge of the glass and eliminate runs. at the end of the swipe to the right you pull all the way down making your first pull. The next pulls you start just left of the next section of glass you are going to pull. place your squeegee at the top of the wet glass without touching the top frame and swipe to the right before pulling down. This swipe to the right will dry the right side of the squeegee just before you start your pull down and it will keep the squeegee out ahead of the water under the squeegee using the momentum of the movement to the right. So water won’t escape off the squeegee on the right side of the squeegee and leave a line.

On the last pull you do what is called “feathering”, as you can’t swipe to the right anymore. You place your squeegee on the glass just below the wet line and pull down a little. Don’t start your first short pull above the wet line because your squeegee is full of water and it will just leave more water on the glass only now it is closer to the top frame and will not leave room to dry your squeegee on the next short pulls. Then go back up above the the wet line on the glass and pull down again then repeat the second move again once or twice before you pull all the way down. the first short pull removes most of the excess water form the top of the glass so on the consecutive pulls it won’t re wet your squeegee. It also pulls a little water off your squeegee. The next short pulls will remove the rest of the water from the glass and dry your squeegee completely. On the last pull, if done right your squeegee should be so dry that you can start on the glass in the center of the glass just below the top and it won’t leave a squeegee mark. when you get good at this you can actually do this in the center of a window and not leave a squeegee mark, which comes in handy a lot.

Sorry i’m being so technical but it is a technical maneuver to do it right. Once you learn it it is not very complicated and its quick and very handy.

If you watch the video closely the guy actually feathers the glass right before he swipes the top to the right. No offense to Mr. squeegee but this way is much faster as you don’t have to go back and detail the top of every window. That said I do love your trick Mr. Squeegee! I can see where it would come in very handy in different situations. I will definitely be practicing that one.

2 Likes