Stack ladders

I know the Metallic brand stack ladders are made not to exceed 21’ when assembled. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues stacking them higher than 21’. And whatever happened to the Alaco stack ladders?

Alaco still makes extensions but stopped manufacturing stacks from lawsuits from lame people suing them for their own ignorance…taking away our best supplier quality made stacks… Alacos were safe for up to 32 feet… it wont hurt you to 32 but they will be heavy as hell…

I roll with four and one half sections, 24 feet, stowed inside my van. It gets challenging when you try to set them up higher than that alone. Extension ladders are probably a better choice over 24 ft but people have used stack ladders up to 45ft with no problems for decades. Before the lawsuits five and one half sections was a full set, 29ft.

I’ve put them up to 7 1/2 set before the flex pops them apart…I use them 5 to 6 set safely

I thought that Alaco’s warning limited their stacks to 27’ for at least a few years before they departed from the market.

i don’t like to go more than 5-6’ pieces.

I roll with 4 1/2 sections. My max over would be 5 sections total (rare occasion). 7 1/2 is just ludicrous, I don’t recommend. Sometimes if we are doing a sketchy skylight with a roof we can’t walk (no, never did get that wfp YET) we’ll set up 5-5 1/2 laid parallel on roof with a ladder holder. Um nope, wouldn’t recommed that one either :wink: Oh yea one more thing, Alacos *uck, in my opinion. I would never get a set of them.

Why?

What I like and don’ like about Alacos (the set I used to have. They may have different kinds, I don’t know)

They are light

Dislike
I think they are unstable compared to the metallic ladders. They tip side to side too easy.
The rubber “pad” on the end of the v fell off. I still used them.
I don’t mind flex, but they flex A LOT. It’s not that big of a deal tho.

I once used six and a half sections to do the inside of a 4 story cabin it was three stories up from the second floor and the floor was slick wood floor. I had my boss stand on the bottom rung and I weighed upwards of 270lb at the time with a sprained foot. I went all the way to the top no problems. I wouldn’t recommend this but if you have to get the job done make sure its in good shape and have someone hold on to the bottom someone strong. But no one no matter how strong is gonna keep you from falling if it gets away from you so be very careful.

come to think of it maybe it was only 5 and a half sections it was 2 years ago. I know it was at least 5 and ahalf.

I carry 4.5 sections on the truck at all times. It’s the only ladder that stays on the truck no matter what. I carry a folding extendable ladder which I use for a step ladder occasionally along with my 3 rung step ladder.

I usually use the stack ladder for most everything. On residential I generally use 3 pieces 60-70% of the time and 4 pieces 25-35% of the time and on rare occasions I use 4.5 or 3.5. I almost never need anything higher on residential. We don’t see much 3 story stuff here except downtown on condos or on commercial.

When I do need something higher on occasion for two story gutters and again on commercial. In those cases I through the weekender rack on the truck with the 32 foot extension ladder. At three stories or over the extension ladder just seems more comfortable. It’s like a big Cadillac. I also have a 12 foot step ladder I can throw on the weekend rack if I know I have a high chandelier.

Alaco still makes extensions but stopped manufacturing stacks from lawsuits from lame people suing them for their own ignorance…taking away our best supplier quality made stacks… Alacos were safe for up to 32 feet… it wont hurt you to 32 but they will be heavy as hell…