Steel wool

Let see… Ster Ski, Man, Some, L, Mr, isn’t name calling as you would accuse me of as being bad, because I use these on myself and all others here to just be friendly and open as just a normal GUY-SKI Mr. Laczko >

And I believe and know that my post on # 12 clearly points out my post on #2 which you are questioning just to pull my chain !

Your response on #13 is clearly articulating your attitude toward me!

I make very positive post here to encourage others, and to be a friend to all and you never comment positively to those,nor do you ever make a positive post to any of the threads that I’ve posted that speak about safety for others or just having fun joking about Football, or what you’d like to desire as a window cleaner ! Nothing good or encouraging posted there by you Mr.Laczko.

The only time you post back at my post is to try to be condescending. I’ve tried to be positive toward you in past post but you haven’t liken to me or my presence here, but I’m not the first to be put into line with your sites ! As you’ve said before "You do things your way and I’ll do things my way’…

I believe in the rule 7, to lets be nice and respectful to one another and to honor each other as fellow cleaners, and members of this positive community of a bunch of great and caring people !

Maybe if you brought yourself from that high ladder your on, to the level of even keeled members, you’d might be able to understand basic communication, rather then to be of the mine set of being upper echelon !

I realize these comment I’m making is what your shooting for, to have me thrown under the bus, but I’m speaking honestly and respectfully but as a matter of fact !

Now if you please, be an even keeled guy and there won’t be those you find beneath you !

Thank you for the opportunity for me to let my hair down, I hope we can get through this ! Now if you don’t mine lets re-start and try to be friends or at least unheady…

OK then…

Hello Larry…My name is David but you can call me Dangerous, Dange… and I live in Washington State, It’s good to meet you"…Howdy !

David Gutierrez / Always wanting to be friends with everyone !

How can anyone not like Dangerous. I try to read every one of his posts. He is knowledgeable and he is funny.

So does anyone ever find that steel or bornze wool leaves suuuuper fine scratches that you can only see if the sun is hitting it or if you are truly paying attention? Say there is a brand new pane of window with nothing on it. If you take wool to it, is there any difference in the glass once you are complete?

Howdy Acclaim-Ster…

Do you see scratches ? I never have seen scratches when I have used steel wool/0000. Now like I’ve posted in the #2 post, maybe 1% of the time…but I’ve never seen any, but I always keep my eyes open to it.

You know I’ve tried Bronze steel-wool a couple of time but like Dan-Man said in post #6 it just seems to fall apart to fast, so I guess to each their own when it comes to personal preference.

So do you see scratches when the sun hits it just right ?

Dange / Looking TO BE ADVANCED IN HIS RANGE

Mr. SEEING CLEARLY…

Thank you for your positive words !

Your Friend / The Dangerous one

I’ve never seen scratching after using bronze wool (or steel wool for that matter).

David: You stated that 0000 steel wool shouldn’t scratch glass, but that one should check first. Are you stating that there is a test? Are you referencing heat-treated glass or all glass? Skip the superiority behavior this time, eh?

Fireman,
I like to use wet and dry wool. Wet to scrub a filthy window and a separate piece of dry wool to touch up glass that is dry on my inspection. The steel wool does scrub better than the bronze in my opinion. I bet that’s because steel is harder than bronze. However I prefer bronze wool because of the rusting particles that get left behind on window ledges. I try to wipe’m up but sometimes I miss a few. Bronze pads do rust, but not as fast as steel.

Hey Mike…

Good points here, I also do the wet and dry…And yeah steel-wool is stronger and does leave particle that can rust !

But you say bronze will rust…It does ? I don’t get that ! I’ve use bronze once so I never was able to see that. Have you seen that ? Why would bronze rust ? I thought bronze, brass and such like didn’t rust, do you think bronze is just coated steel…I don’t know…Please educate me here my Friend !

Oh , will we still get the coffee and conversation going if I ever show up in Bean-Town
Mr.Mike? Oh and do you think Boston-Rob is going to go further then CutThroat-Russell?

Dangerous Dave Your Bro / God bless

Dange,
I carry a pad on my belt in a pouch every day. When I see rust on it I toss it. Don’t know why it rusts but it does.

Perhaps you are transferring steel wool fibers from your pouch onto bronze wool.

Bronze may corrode, but it won’t rust. Rust is iron oxide. Bronze is primarily copper with zinc and tin.

Larry,
I don’t know. It looks like rust to me.

I would assume that it would be an oxidation/natural patina.

In reading the following posts I recognize my lack of understanding on some issues related to wool/steel/bronze pads, tempered and heat strengthened glass, wet vs dry touch up, fabricating debris, glass fines, quality tempered glass without fabricating debris does not scratch.

Could some of you expand on these terms and tell me how to tell which type of glass I’m dealing with when I walk up to it? Do you use steel wool on dry glass? For what reason? What are glass fines and fabricating debris? Thanks for your help.

Hey Jesse,

You’re right using a 6 inch razor on tempered and heat strengthened glass is risky business these days. I find myself using my wool pad more and more and the 6 inch razor less and less. I prefer wool over steel wool pads even though they don’t scrub as well as steel because the bronze doesn’t rust and the pads last longer than steel wool. As a side note I think the bronze wool pads do outscrub a white scrub pad. They cost more than steel wool but that’s ok because of the advantages. On small cut ups I’ll use my pad to wet and scrub the window. I like to carry a wet pad for scrubbing and a dry one for touch up.

Best Regards,
Mike Defiel

Originally Posted by High Class Services
Never use your scraper on tempered glass. It scratches pretty easy. Steel wool will remove things from tempered w/o scratching.
It’s not the scraper scratching the glass is the broken bits of fabricating debris that scratch the glass. You could also break one of the glass fines off with your steel wool and scratch the glass.

Originally Posted by hunterst
It’s not the scraper scratching the glass is the broken bits of fabricating debris that scratch the glass. You could also break one of the glass fines off with your steel wool and scratch the glass.
Yes this is true. But the level of risk is different. There is a very slight possibility that steel wool could dislodge FD but a razor WILL dislodge the debris. When we say the debris scratched the glass and not the razor isn’t that a matter of semantics? I use light pressure when I wool tempered and heat strengthened glass to minimize the risk.
Best Regards,
Mike Defiel
Clearview Window Washing
Hingham, MA
Clearview Window Washing Home Page

Originally Posted by mdefiel
I use light pressure when I wool tempered and heat strengthened glass to minimize the risk.
You still use customer education and a waiver, yes?

Originally Posted by High Class Services
Never use your scraper on tempered glass. It scratches pretty easy.
Quality tempered glass without fabricating debris does not scratch. Period.

I only use mine when wet. I start off cleaning the glass so it’s already wet by the time I put the wool to it.