Stop enabling these third party "lead generators"

You pay them to demean your own websites online presence… pay them to rank above you.

• “Angies List” is now “Angi” or whatever…

• if they need to/feel ok with changing their name, how was that name making you stronger, being represented by it?!?

• Thumbtack, MySpace, Netscape, Bing, etc…

• build your company, and put in the work, dont wait for others to do it for you.
    (screwing yourself in the meantime.)

Ive said this for years, this isnt a rant! (well, maybe it is. sorry.)

5 Likes

Ditto! Times a thousand. Their greed, and others like them are destroying the small business world. All these so called innovators trying to change the way business is done BS! Everybody wants a peice of you! It’s bad enough with gvmnt taxes…
YOU CAN DO IT! Yes, it’s blood sweat, and tears in the beginning. Hard work, but… You will be better off! Working for button pushers so you can shovel their sh#*. Take your hard earned money so they can hire more button pushers. Stop the madness, and take control of your life, and your future. Be your own, “Yes man.” or women" Forums like this are here to help. Ask me anything, I will help you as much as I can! Others here seem very knowledgeable, and willing to help.

1 Like

Yah, I get these calls every week. I told the guy the other day that I don’t need their help pulling leads. I just need to get my SEO dialed in and keep producing youtube content and hopefully get some legit backlinks to my site.

I got some dope shirts in the making from finprint and going to letter my truck soon…I need to get yard signs soon. Too many high end neighborhoods in my area not to.

2 Likes

Homeadvisor finally stopped calling me… at least for now…

Now I’m getting spammed by Yelp.

F these solicitors

1 Like

And what do you mean you demean your websites presence online by using these lead services?

Personally I feel that these types of websites should be banned from Google. They are not in the business they taking responsibility for the job done and I don’t feel they should be allowed to advertise in a category they are not part of. I’d be fine with all of them being in the same Calgary say for example companies who don’t actually do any work but will review you two companies who do do work if they pay a lot of money to be referred.

4 Likes

There are times where your personal site, may be ranked JUST a little lower than these dupes,for a certain are.

• but yet some still pay them for the leads.

• it’s not always the case, but I have seen it happen…

You’re saying your personal site may be “ranked lower.”

I’m not that familiar with the SEO / online stuff but you’re implying your site may be ranked lower for certain keywords right?

Fact is… when it comes to online presence, ANY site/business is a competitor.

• these lead generators are no differrent, they are essentially your competition (in ranking) yet some PAY them to do so.

You don’t need them. You seem very capable, and have the skills to build your own network. You will be much happier in the end!

Answer to yourself. Remember, they have fees, and, more fees, and a contract that only protects their interests. An army of attorneys. Your contract will, and can change on a dime. They also have access to a funding account that you must provide. Do you have any attorneys to look over their contract. Truth is, nobody does! They are just another entity out to take your hard earned money. Trust me, there is a war going on behind the scenes. A tech war. The current gvmnt or law can’t protect you against these behemoths of greed. Why should they? Our Senators, and Congress on both sides of the isle willing accept their money and donations. Our gvmnt Federal, State, local have contracts with all the tech giants. Short story, don’t get in bed with them. You can do it!

1 Like

Nah I don’t plan on using lead sources anytime soon.

Online marketing is where its at

1 Like

Avoid like the plague. I’ve tried them all…ALL. Cheap prospects and Yelp burned me twice for hundreds. I got burned and then years later got “sold” really a “special deal” and it cost me another $600 for maybe 1 lousy leads. Avoid them.

Unfortunately, Google is invested in most of these lead aggregators.

Back in 2014 The Big G dumped $100M into Thumbtack.

Fun fact…

For the first 18 years of its existence, Angie’s List never turned a profit. The first time they ever turned a profit just happened to be a few days before they sold to Homeadvisor.

i have no problem with them existing but i don’t think they should be able to dominate a category they don’t even work in. i see your fun fact and raise you:
In early 2000, Netflix founders Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph offered to sell the company to Blockbuster for $50 million. Blockbuster turned them down. Eventually, Netflix triumphed over Blockbuster, popularized streaming, and forced the entertainment industry to adapt.

I clean for one of the FORMER and original execs of Blockbuster and work with the Buns of Steel videos cassettes (brought back old memories for a kid living in the Arkansas woods in the 80’s) and she said no one thought that could happen. She laughs about it now. She made millions. She said they missed out on billions.

2 Likes

When you pay them for leads, you give them capital to advertise, ranking ABOVE you…

1 Like

They sure are persistent too. Dude keeps calling and I keep saying NO. That is a good point. They are screwing you out of ranking.

1 Like

I’ve been on Angi(e’s List) for 11 years. It has become an absolute scam the past three years and we finally terminated our contract today, having to pay 35% to get out. Unfortunately they erased all our 320 ‘A’ reviews out of spite.

Ugh! That sux!! Though not surprizing!

• Im really sorry to hear this, seriously. Shitty. :frowning:

Sickening, one day you are “our most trusted.”

• then you are “dead to me.”

• which is why we refuse to enable them, in the first place.

1 Like