Store fronts

I have somewhat of an idea how to price residential but have no idea concerning store fronts. How do i estimate and come up with a price? I don"t want too come in too low or too high!
Thank You

FIRST, find out what kinda market you’re in. See what other places are priced at to give you a visual idea of what’s being charged in your area.
You’ll hear people on hear that say start at $2 a window, but really it depends on the size and how frequent you do them. PLUS you might be in a competitive market like FL and there’s 10 window cleaners every 10 miles.

figure out a price you want to make an hour. Starting off it’s unrealistic to believe you’ll be getting $80 an hour, but maybe $20-30 an hour…keep in mind I’m assuming your not that efficient YET and when you become faster that $20-30 will jump up!

I used to count windows, and still do for larger jobs, but now I can see a place and price it in about 10 seconds. I just know my area and what price I work at. For RES that’s a difference machine. Hope that helps:eek:

think how long will it take me to clean that storefront…if you answer 15 mins

then divide what you wish to earn by 4…

however as matt said if your in a competitive market then thats a different kettle of fish…any old bid will not do.

I don’t understand how, being a total noob, you can possibly estimate how long it will take. When I first started I was SLOW and most of the accounts I picked up hadn’t been cleaned in so long that it would take way less time to clean it the second time than the first time even at the same experience level. I’m no expert yet, but I would definitely come up with a per-window method.

[B]My pricing strategy goes like this:[/B]
[LIST]
[]Regular windows .75 usually around 3’ wide and 4’to 6’ high
[
]Small windows .5
[]Standard Glass Door .75 per side and always quote the inside of the door with your outside only quote.
[
]Any group of windows of average width that span from ground to average height ceiling is 1. + .25 for any ledge between.
[]For really large windows, I estimate about how many small sized .75 windows would fit in the area and take that number * .25 then ad it to .75 or 1. Larger windows have a smaller edge to surface area ration than smaller so they are much quicker to do than any number of windows that would fit in the same space.
[
]If windows have A LOT of vinyl lettering, add .25
[]For windows higher than you can use a standard wooden pole to do, add more.
[
]Take into account an situation that will make the windows more difficult to clean than normal and factor that in.
[/LIST]

If you market is higher than by all means Raise your per-window price.

This works for my market area. 7 out of 10 times I can tell you Exactly how much someone is paying to have their windows cleaned. My market area is lower than other though so I would ask a variety of places what they pay. Some window cleaners take a buck or 2 off storefronts if they have all or most in a building so watch out for that.
Also have a starting price in mind like 7 or 8 per stop.

I will probably start with residential and then try to get some commercial accounts. The pricing has to be right or i wont get any jobs, thats for sure!

As for commercial i can figure out what i need to make but someone is always there trying to outbid you. I am sure there are wc’ers out there who will go extremely low just to get the job. Some may not accept the low price due to high quality work and stay with higher price.

It’s tough to come up with a guide for pricing commercial store front work. Some guys have one and I’ve written out some guidelines in the past around here but really it’s based upon what your market sets. Your best bet is to hit the ground running and attempt to go pick some up. If you are too low or too high, people will tell you. If the reaction is that you are too high then you know to be competitive you might want to come down a little bit. If they say, “Wow! That’s much less then my current cleaner,” then you know you are too low. In this case you may have to eat this one if they say go ahead and clean the windows for that price but at least you now have your foot in the door in the area and are gaining exposure while cleaning those windows (just try not to be too low).

In both instances, too high or too low, ask them what their window cleaner charges them. Most people will tell you after you’ve given them your quote (if you’re lucky and/or persuasive you can get this before you give your quote). Keep asking and see what people say. Eventually you will get a feel for what you should be charging and you’ll be able to price up a store in seconds.

I was lucky as the company already had a base of commercial accounts and I was able to go around with a list and the amount we got for them and take a look so I would understand how and why they were priced the way they were.

One last thing, don’t be worried to go too high. It’s better to lose a bid because your price was too high then to win one because your price was too low. It can and very well might happen, so always go with the higher bid until you have a good feel for what you should be doing.

yeah, I always get the people to tell me what they are currenlty paying before I give the estimate… even though most times the other persons price doesn’t matter

I totally agree, “…the other persons price doesn’t matter.” People constantly ask me why we are so expensive, or tell me the other guy never charged that much. Well we aren’t the other guy and that’s our price. I don’t price to get jobs, I price to make sure the company as a whole covers its costs.

Being too highly priced definitely works out better than being too low. The costs of running the business must also be calculated in price as well as proffit.

Yep!

in sales, you have to ask the who, what, when, where and why. Even though the other persons price doesn’t really matter, in sales one of your goals is to gather as much information as possible, that being a piece of information that you can later use…“Well Mrs. Jones, the reason Bob’s Window Cleaning charges $25 is because he doesn’t thoroughly and properly clean your windows…” I’d point out his mistakes and flaws and present her with how your service will be much better. All the while building a good relationship and convincing her to pay $35

I believe it is more professional to point out one’s own good characteristics, skills, and behaviors than bad-mouth the competition.

not bad mouthing…bad mouthing is saying, “Mrs. Jones, Bobs window cleaning isn’t a good service, and really he’s not a good guy. He does horrible work and I don’t even know how he’s in business still”…that seems to fall under “bad mouthing”

Simply pointing out streaks, drips and poorly cleaned windows is far from bad mouthing.
agree?

Discussing the end result of someone else’s work is not bad-mouthing. Some of your previous comments mentioning a name or “his” would probably be considered bad-mouthing.

oh

I’ve thought about this, too, and have concluded this:

We seem to cross the “line” when we comment on the motives and ethics of our competitors.

Giving the competition props for trying their best, and then educating the client as to how their workmanship falls short seems to be the best way to play it safe and yet be powerful.

yeah, I like that approach kevin