Storm windows suck, I am tired of them, and the sore fingers!

LOL maybe I was not clear. The house has 24 dble hung priced at $5 each outside only plus the screen at $2. The sunroom has 18 storm windows including top and bottom (9 tops, 9 bottoms). Priced out at $2 each.

My price for a double hung is $10 in and out plus $2 per screen. As far as pellas go, if they are the kind that the inside plate needs to be removed, the charge is $20 each. Reason being is I have never had any luck getting the inside plate back in correctly. Always seem to be a pita for me.

Agreed. Weā€™ve all had a bad day, especially when dealing with stormsā€¦ but there are also many more ā€œstormā€ days where I can just cruise through them and make that $$$.

The trick is to know what youā€™re getting yourself into before you quote a price. Ask a lot of questions when estimating.

• Do the main window open and close easily?
  • Have your windows ever been professionally cleaned before?
  • How long has it been since they were last professionally cleaned?
  • Are there any concerns that you (the client) have about the condition of any of your glass, tracks, or window machinery

That last question is the most important question you can ask when phone estimating storms. The client will give you answers like ā€œsome frames seem to be falling off the houseā€ or ā€œthere are a few cracked windowsā€. You can then better visualize what you are getting yourself into.

Sliding storms often break because theyā€™re old, poor design or both. A lot of older midwest home have them. I feel your pain Severn. Yeah charge up the ying yang. I stopped cleaning storms, only because itā€™s a pain for one person to clean and I dont have that many around here.

Ill get a call for an outside window estimate and go give it only to discover that they have storms that havent been cleaned or taken apart in years, and i will price it outs only and then give a price for cleaning the storms and the inside windows.(whether theyve asked for it or not) How many times have we done the outs and the ins are sooo dirty that you cant even tell the outs were done? I wonder y they bother sometimes, so i always suggest they let us do the other panes so that they can see what crystal clear windows actually look like. Yes theyre a pane but theres money in it, i usually take the outside price and times by 4 for the storms. I find it easier if one of us is inside the house and the other outside at the same window to slide it up, down, over, remove or whatever. There are alot of storm windows here in ohio.

I cut my teeth on storm windows and have cleaned just about ever kind there is! I just donā€™t want to do anymore, unless I am making what I can make on casements or double hungs! So therefore I am raising them and I have two other window cleaners who will do them.

The new pellas I refuse to do them, to many things can go wrong with them! I looked a one wrong and a string broke in itā€¦

When it comes to the old style double hung I have turned down jobs where they have insisted they only want the exterior cleaned because doing so reflects badly on your company when people walk by or have seen your company doing the windows but take a closer look afterwards and I guarantee they are not thinking bet they didnā€™t do the inside!

Plus on the pella book storms as I call them we charge $12 to clean in between them so a house placed at approximately $450 depending on size etc (as in between need not be done every year) I charge an additional $12 per window storm

I use to hate doing the older double hungs and french but actually long as the customer is paying my going rate I can live with it - my lowest price on a double hung or french is typically $300 and that would have to be a pretty simple job too maybe 2-3 windows and a door or 2.

We charge $200 per hour, single story only, for me itā€™s not worth the risk unless there is some good money.

I am dealing with acrylic corrugated hurricane panels today. They SUCK big time. After todayā€™s job I have it in my mind - never again. The house painter painted over all of the studs too where the wingnuts attach the panels to the house. SUPER SUCK!

Oh man, I donā€™t envy you.

If storm windows are as hard to clean as Iā€™ve read, then Iā€™d probably just hire family or friend to help remove them. Spread the wealth, save the health.

Ouchā€¦ That sucks.

I quit doing ā€œstorm windowsā€ last year.

Turned down 3 jobs so far this year. I hate turning away work but i am soooo glad that I donā€™t do them anymore!

Yea, I donā€™t even offer to clean them. Just take them down in the off season; put them up in the storm season and clean the windows. 2 story home no less!
I think today was the last time for me. Iā€™m not sure I could even charge enough anymore!

You gotta admitā€¦
There is a little bit of fun, in telling a customerā€¦

"Iā€™m not going to lie, this is gonna hurt"
When giving a quote.

• because you truly dont CARE if you get the job.

THATS the ā€˜balance of the scale in your favor,ā€™ of storms.