Taking a dog with you

OK, I swore I would never get another dog, my last one was almost perfect and I figured that would never happen again. But now I’m re-thinking it. I see lots of guys that take their dog with them every day. I know it’s not necessarily professional but I have a pretty close relationship with most of my customers. I would not take it with me every day (long days mostly). So my question is does anyone do this and how does it work out.
Kirk

It doesn’t sound like a great idea to me, because there are a lot of people afraid of dogs.

is it going to hang in the car?

I love my dog (a gentle Great Dane), but I would hate to leave him in the hoopty for too long. Of course to let him run around the yard is not good as he would likely drop a deuce and I may not see it.

I have never heard of someone bringing their dog before. I wouldn’t

My old boss and good friend, always had his dog with him that is what his dog wanted to do, sit on the the tailgate of his truck. If the truck was parked at his house or shop his dog was on that tailgate. He was well trained and rarely got out of the truck. The only time that he would get out is when the pizza shop owner had a meatball for him. He was the company mascot and when he passed, customers would ask where he was at. Is it alright, I think so with the right dog and training. Like the above posts you don’t want the dog to run around and take a dump. You don’t want to chase them down the block or bite someone or another animal. Right dog and training it can work for you. How is the weather and temp. in your area? Will somebody call animal control on you?:eek: If it works and you have no worries do what you want.

Alberto
"the huck towel bandito":slight_smile:

This sounds like the exception rather than the rule.

All of my life, I have been a dog lover and my dream dog has always been to have a Golden Lab. A couple of years ago, I started dating a very nice man. My first good impressions, were not about his nice car, or his big nice house, but he owned a beautiful Golden Lab! This is just too good to be true!

The truth is, although he was a nice man and we got along well, I could not stand his relationship with this dog! The dog went everywhere with him and with us, which would have been fine if the dog had not been so uncontrollable. The dog was so spoiled, no training what so ever, and many many times I was personally embarrassed by the dogs behavior when we were around other people who were very displeased at the dogs behavior.
He was a beautiful dog, and young enough to have been trained. Despite my suggestions and the suggestions of others to have this dog trained, this man was a wimp when it came to this dog and discipline. So can a woman come between a man and his dog? I sure did not! I ended the relationship, I did not need a wimp or a spoiled brat in my life.

A perfect well trained dog sitting in the bed of the truck, never whining, never barking, being at its best behavior at all times while doing a job, I see as probably too good to be true as well. But … if I had my dream Golden Lab, who would also be this perfectly well trained dog, it would always be with me on those jobs where it would be acceptable.

Joie - N. CA

What if your dog bites someone? I dont think this is the image that your looking for.

If you decide to bring your dog against all the responces here make sure insurance will cover any dog related accidents.

A local business owner had a dog in the showroom and it was the nicest dog, super well trained & behaved. Well a little girl about 5 or 6 went to pet him and for some reason the dog got startled and the little girl got about 70 stitches in her face and head.True story. Would you want to be responsable(sp) for that? I wouldn’t.

I could not bring my dogs to work with me, they would run for it if they had the chance. My friends dog was completely different. If you are able to find the right dog and it works, do as you please. Just realize the positive and negative things that can happen and go from there.:slight_smile:

Alberto E.:):slight_smile:

Dude where are you from? You say you see a lot of people bringing dogs with them to work? Well I have never seen that here in Jersey. I have seen people who have shops and store front bring their dogs to those locations. But I have never seen a service that comes to your location, be it a home or commercial bring a dog with them. I don’t think that would send a professional message besides there are too many issues that can cause you to have a problem. They have all been stated already. Leave the dog home.

PS dogs are better then cats. lol.

Nah dude, leave the dog home, seriously.
You said you recognized that bringing a dog would not be proffesional. Out of curiosity what about bringing a dog to your customers home seems like a good idea?

The question wasn’t really about customers.

OK, I swore I would never get another dog, my last one was almost perfect and I figured that would never happen again. But now I’m re-thinking it. I see lots of guys that take their dog with them every day. I know it’s not necessarily professional but I have a pretty close relationship with most of my customers. I would not take it with me every day (long days mostly). So my question is does anyone do this and how does it work out.
Kirk

Hahaha,I always leave the wife at home