Talk to me about gutter cleaning

go pro synced to phone works too and it’s water proof.

2 Likes

No he’s got a crew

I don’t think all of the video stuff is necessary, but it certainly can leave an impression on the client.

The thing about gutters is that it appears to be a simple matter of climbing up a ladder and grabbing debris, and climbing back down the ladder. As with most home maintenance things, the homeowner does not know what is involved to do a good quality proper job. They just know they don’t do ladders, and don’t have time in their lives for maintenance.

Once you are up there and that 30 feet of gutter you quoted at $30 is full of mud, worms, roaches, ants, leaves and twigs, and caked on shingle grit - and even a rats nest or two! All of the sudden, 10 feet into the job, you are thinking “I’m doing this for how much again?” ( You do remember to clean your hands thoroughly afterwards, right? Germs and bacteria and those little microscopic worms are bad, bad, bad!)

So once again you are thinking - “I’m doing this for how much again?”

• Have your plan of action
  • Have your tools and needed equipment handy and organized (Look professional)
  • Have your clean up afterwards procedure worked out in your mind (leave your
    work area better than you found it.)
  • Antiseptic hand cleaner!
  • Charge accordingly
1 Like

There are some people (very few luckily) who expect a “gutter cleaning” to consist of making the gutters look brand new. It does not matter that the gutters are 20 years old and may never have been cleaned in their life. They want you to scrub off the mold and dirt, make it shine again. I flat out tell them they are looking for a different service. We only clean gutters so the water flows freely.

When someone asks if we use vacuums to clean out the gutter I tell them no. The cases where they work is so limited and a lot of times the customer is happy we don’t use them. There are companies that go around with those pole vacuums and they are just useless. You can’t clean a gutter standing on the ground.

Tools - gutter scoop on a pole, two buckets with bungee cords (one on either side so you can use two hands and don’t have to reach across your ladder), toilet snake, strong garbage bags, gloves, mean green hose (very light and durable - you don’t want to be carrying up heavy hoses) with a “high” powered nozzle on (I’ve found the “little big shot” works well)

Jesse @CapeCodCleaner has a couple of vids on his gutter cleaning equipment. Straightforward approach, but well thought out and organized. I’ll see if I can dig up those videos…

Ok, so have a look at his blog section for us window cleaners: For Window Cleaners Archives - Window & Gutter Cleaning

His whole YouTube channel is worth a browse-through, as well.

3 Likes

I like Jesse he’s well organized he’s got his tools organized for sure.

1 Like

Thanks @Infinity for sharing. @CapeCodCleaner has a great streamlined setup!

What the best and fastest way to solve this issue, that you guys have found.

I see this sometime after the downspouts are flushed and cleared, but because the slope of the gutter is off the water will stand in the gutter.

Is a blower the most effective way to do it?

This has helped us with giving accurate estimates. And customers love being able to see what’s actually going on in their gutters .

2 Likes

I was actually gonna suggest the guys look at this video. I can’t wait to use your method when i begin offering gutter cleaning, hopefully next Fall. I think it’ll really set me apart from the local competition.

1 Like

We have got awesome feed back from our customers using this. I take a before and after video for them. Lol most customers are more impressed about the video then the actual cleaning.

3 Likes

I do that to! :wink:

What do you do with standing water?

1 Like

We flush it all out with the pw.

We flush the gutters to, but when all said and done there is still water sitting in the gutter because the slope of the gutter is off.

1 Like

Yup if it still standing I’ll just explain to the customer this is due to the pitch of the gutter …no cleaning will fix this

2 Likes

That what we currently say also, just seeing if there was a different/better answer or option.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01ERGH7XA?th=1

was going to order this and add it to the GHC Gutter vac and might order another one just to through onto a pole for estimates, ill let you guys know how well it works

1 Like

I usually tell people up front that we don’t fix anything, but I will alert them to any problems we see.

1 Like